Nosy Be vs. Hawk Moth!!

chamcapture

I had NO idea I even had hornworm cocoons in my plants!! I came out from a shower to catch this!! How could I have missed this?? This moth is HUGE!! I hope he can digest it?!? Anyway, I grabbed my camera and caught the tail end of it.

Umm, If this actually is the same species as "our" hornworms, don't they naturally occur on plants that make them toxic, if so does this toxicity carry over into the adult stage? I hope not for his sake. Anyway, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Umm, If this actually is the same species as "our" hornworms, don't they naturally occur on plants that make them toxic, if so does this toxicity carry over into the adult stage? I hope not for his sake. Anyway, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yes, if this were a WILD hawk moth, I imagine it would be poisonous!! However, this moth came from a hornworm pod from a local pet store. So, he has only been raised on chow...totally safe!!:D

Yes, if this were a WILD hawk moth, I imagine it would be poisonous!! However, this moth came from a hornworm pod from a local pet store. So, he has only been raised on chow...totally safe!!:D

Oh, good. When you said "in my plants," I thought you meant in your yard like he wandered into your bathroom or something from outside. In thy case, I think as long as he swallows it fine, there shouldn't be any digestive issue other than reduced appetite for a few days.

I was worried about this happening when I dropped a hornworm earlier last month and couldn't find it!!! Still can't find it...hoping that it was eaten without problem, though he has been turned off of them lately.

If he can't digest it, he'll vomit it up, or **** it out as an undigested moth. You'll know when you see the droppings.

I was worried about this happening when I dropped a hornworm earlier last month and couldn't find it!!! Still can't find it...hoping that it was eaten without problem, though he has been turned off of them lately.
Yea, my guy is bored with horns as well, but he wasted no time getting this moth!! I think the worms crawled in the holes in the bottom of my pots and cocooned in there! I hope there is NO more!!

If he can't digest it, he'll vomit it up, or **** it out as an undigested moth. You'll know when you see the droppings.
Yea, I kinda thought that myself, that is nature's way.

Back
Top Bottom