Nostril Obstructed by Salt crystal

Myou

Hi All! I am a newer Chameleon owner. I got my little guy not too long ago and while I have a few small concerns I will post a little later I have one that is on my mind right now.

I came home today to see my Cham with a white powder coming out of his nostril. Thanks to this forum I quickly figured out he is releasing excess minerals or salt and it is nothing to be too worried about, however my worry is that it is quite a large deposit and appears to be obstructing one nostril, as well as the other one is partially clogged up.

I am wondering if I should be doing any wiping or misting to get rid of it. I don't want to loosen anything up and have it go back into the nostril and I also don't want to cause him any stress as he is not fond of people (yet).

He has been breathing normally and his activity doesn't seem altered at all. The blockage hasn't even impaired his ability to hiss at me!

Should I leave him be for a bit or help him out?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -Male Veiled. 4 months old. I have had him for about 2 months now
  • Handling - 1-2 times a week for cleaning and sunbathing/ getting used to us
  • Feeding - Phoenix worms 3 or so a day. 2 week old crickets 10-15 crickets 2 times a day. crickets are fed lettuce potato, orange, carrot and repashy gut loader
  • Supplements -Exoterra Calcium ever feeding, Extorra Multi Vitamin once every two weeks and Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 once every two weeks
  • Watering - Mistking system mists 3 times a day for 5 minutes each
  • Fecal Description - Poops pretty regularly, fecal looks firm and a little moist, urate is usually white and maybe a little yellow at the tip at times
  • History - He eats a lot, but I feel he is a little skinny, seems to poop a decent amount. I don't know who he is so scrawny as I make sure he can find his food until he is full

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type -Screen 18x18x36 - will upgrade when he is a little bigger
  • Lighting Mega Ray Mecury Vapor Build 75 watt - I am aware these can get high in heat ad UV but where we were climate wise we were haven't a really hard time with the incandescent freezing him. The MV bulb was recommended by a specialty reptile supplier in the area
  • Temperature -basking is between 82-86, ambient is between 75-80 and our house goes down to about 68 at night
  • Humidity - 30-60% I try to keep it up there but our climate it can prove difficult
  • Plants - live plants, umbrella, dracena and pothos
  • Placement - Cage is in our bedroom so limited traffic and none during the day. His cage is along one wall and on an end table, top of the cage is at the 4 foot mark or around
  • Location - Alberta Canada

Current Problem
Little guy has so power on his nose, not concerned for cause but should I be doing steps to help him breathe through the nostril again

First off, welcome! Thank you so much for reading the sticky first and filling out the form... you will go far in this hobby (y).

I could nitpick a few things, but overall your husbandry is pretty good. Could you post some pictures so we could see what you mean? How much are you dusting? They should be lightly dusted, not white like ghosts. I would give him a long shower of about 30 min to an hour and see if that helps clear it up. Since you have a mistking you could just let it run for that time(if your drainage can handle it) instead of using the shower method.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for my delay, little guy was asleep so I couldn't get pictures until this morning. I have attached the two I could get before he ran away from the camera. Please pay no mind to the colouring I have noticed the Mercury Vapor bulb must do something weird to cameras' colour.
I did notice this morning some white on his skin and he is due for a shed, so I will be sun bathing him a bit today and misting a little more to help get the shed going.

And please nitpick away! I am always happy to get advice from more experienced owners. I have done a bunch on research but I want to give my cham the best care I can.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 117
Just out of curiosity, what type of water are you using for misting?

I found that when using my local tap water these build ups were more frequent. I switched to filtered water and haven't seen these excretions since

I just came home to the same exact thing, I got really worried about an infection til I read this. Went away after spraying. hopefully it stays away :)

Back
Top Bottom