Northeastern Madagascar biome

Franquixote

Established Member
I'm interested in creating a biome for a Ambilobe at least mostly true to the natural habitat.
So far plants of major interest are some pitcher plants (posted in a different thread to discuss potential pitfalls, pun fully intended) and vanilla orchids.
I'm interested in putting perhaps a bonsai'd dwarf fruit or nut tree native to the area or similarly edible/useful flora such as cloves.
I think that certain mangoes and lychee fruits are also native and I have access to dwarf varietals of both that would work.
It appears that ylang-ylang is native and can be grown as a dwarf.
I have decent experience growing fungus and mushrooms, but so far all of the true native shrooms I've seen are symbiotic with trees (such as chanterelles) so it's unlikely they are an option but please share if you know otherwise.

Thanks!

Hi Franquixote,

I have been a few times in Madagascar in places with panther chameleon.
For sure you can find what you mentioned. Pitcher plant are pretty rare and probably not used by chameleons. Vanilla is definitely there, but it was introduced, this plant is nattive from Mexico.
Regarding mango and Lychee trees, there are also in many places, but native from Asia and not Madagascar.
I think you should just stick with easy to find and care plants that manageable such as Ficus for example. Lot of vines or branches were you can grow Pothos or Jasmin vines for examples.

Good luck,
Alex

Thanks for the reply- can you think of any native plants there that produce fruit or are interesting for other reasons (like the pitcher plant).
What does everyone think about the idea of the pitcher plant as a means to attract flies and trap uneaten feeders?
I'm going to research the vanilla some more. Part of why I love these projects is all you learn along the way!
You're 100% right:
http://www.madacamp.com/Madagascar_Vanilla

Wasn't there until 1841- I'm thinking that this may have to disqualify it from the biome! Too bad, I was looking forward to including it, but I want to keep this project gen-yoo-wine.

You might have a hard time finding Malagasy only plants.
Maybe succulents, but might not be the best choice for chameleon tank.

I'm a bit stuck on just considering the enclosure and substrate right now. I haven't found any options for an enclosure that meets my expectations for the ability to do thorough regular (at least 2 times a week) cleaning and still include heavy planting. Potting plants on the bottom seems like it would require constantly removing them which is bound to cause issues with bugs jumping off, roughing up the foliage, and inability for them to grow around perches etc. I'm considering a substrate of decent sized pebbles on thick gauge wire screen with holes just large enough for feeders not to be able to escape so that a hose "python" (a tool for aquariums that allows you to hook up to a sink to automatically suck up and refill water using only pressure from the tap) could be used to spray down the pebbles and suck up the dirty water from a drainage basin underneath. A single large tree could be planted in the middle in a planter made from natural slate 12X12 tiles held together with silicon and smaller planters along the sides and back so that it could be hosed out in a few minutes with the wastewater emptying into a something underneath (20 gallon aquarium or waterproof bin) and then just siphoned out with the python.
Have forum members specifically mentioned difficulty in getting native plants? I've never really had issues acquiring exotic plants, so I'm wondering if this is by experience or assumption. For example, it's not too hard to find indigenous Malagasy baobabs that have been bonsai'd.
Here's an extreme example, but others can be had for more reasonable prices (which I'll be happy to pass along).

upload_2017-7-20_22-44-18.png

With that kind of tree, you should rather have a dedicated room or greenhouse ;)
For easy cleaning I think a lot of people tried before (including me).
One of the most convenient solution is "nothing" on the ground. Even removing one plant make cleaning a little bit tedious.
Personnaly, I choose an enclosure with a tray under the bottom.
It takes no time to remove the bottom part and clean it, as well as emptying the tray (you can even drill the tray and have a bucket hidden in cabinet under the enclosure.
That's my personal experience. Heavy plants on the botton (or just uneasy to remove) and then forgot about cleaning often.

Good luck with your project, it seems a great idea.

Thanks for the input.
Does anyone have any other suggestions as to the best way to do thorough regular cleaning?

This probably warrants a different thread, but I'd appreciate opinions in this idea:

A) 1" pebbles of highly polished agate on the bottom. I use this as my substrate for all my aquariums and it's amazing!
1.0928PinkBotswana.jpg

B) pebbles sit on a very sturdy grate/screen with holes big enough for adult chameleon feces to fall through.

C) a "python" is used to basically pressure wash the pebbles.
upload_2017-7-21_14-30-55.png

upload_2017-7-21_14-31-27.png

D) The dirty water then passes through a second screen which can be slid out and removed- the holes on the removable screen are small enough to trap feces and other waste along with any insects.
and empties into a bucket for disposal by either siphoning off with the python or carrying the bucket for dumping.

E) A baobab bonsai would be creatively potted and could be either lifted up when spraying the stones or removed. It's unlikely that either would be necessary though. Even large bonsai don't need particularly deep pots. Other plants could be hung from the sides and back in lightweight hidden planters.

F) Lastly, the entire back and sides of the enclosure could be hosed off with the python. I would need to make the front at least partially screened for circulation, right? The top would be screened as well and a small computer fan built into it for better circulation of air.

Does this seem plausible or am I missing something?

Thank you ALL!

If any moderators or experienced members are watching, should the last post be moved over to the "enclosures/supplies" subforum or should I create a new thread in that forum? I assume "double-posts" are frowned upon.

After exhaustive research, I think that I am going to settle for a Exo-Terra or one from Dragon Strand so I can get my feet wet. There's a reptile show coming up near me on August 5th and I'd like to be in the position to make a move if the opportunity for an ideal specimen presents itself.
If anyone has strong opinions on another option please post.
In the meantime, I'll await response from moderators on whether the last post should be moved or if I should start a new thread.

I'll be sure to keep this post updated on the specifics of the biome project as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom