Normalizing the winter slumps

Bazelthechameleon

Avid Member
We just had a big winter storm in NY and Bazel has retreated to the depths of his cage and gotten all dark and grumpy. This is not abnormal for him and he usually gets moody when the weather gets cold. I used to think when I first got him that he had gotten some parasite and was sick, but after vets visits and getting to know his behavior I realized that it’s basically the chameleon’s equivalent of seasonal depression lol. So new owners don’t panic when you’re chameleon hides and won’t come out when it’s cold!! I wish I had known this in the beginning lol. Now I just coax him out with some superworm treats to cheer him up. Comfort food always works.

We just had a big winter storm in NY and Bazel has retreated to the depths of his cage and gotten all dark and grumpy. This is not abnormal for him and he usually gets moody when the weather gets cold. I used to think when I first got him that he had gotten some parasite and was sick, but after vets visits and getting to know his behavior I realized that it’s basically the chameleon’s equivalent of seasonal depression lol. So new owners don’t panic when you’re chameleon hides and won’t come out when it’s cold!! I wish I had known this in the beginning lol. Now I just coax him out with some superworm treats to cheer him up. Comfort food always works.
Me too! I have only had my chameleon about 2 months and he went into a slump and I was really freaking out 🤪

Mine gets that way too! It's still important to do regular checks and stay vigilant. Yoda's slump this year was also a liver infection on top of the winter blues! Wouldn't have caught it it I didn't do annual blood work.

It's hard because we always want to ensure that there are not husbandry related causes for behavior changes... This is the first thing I cover when someone expresses concern. But yes weather can mess with them. I really think that they are tuned into storms and know even when they can not see it. We are getting a massive snow storm today and Beman has been very lazy and not wanting to move around much. Which was great for me because I was able to do some cleaning on his enclosure. Normally he gets pissy when I start trimming his plants and will chase my hands around the cage. LOL

Thank you for sharing. I know some of my issues with my Treebeard was husbandry stuff at the beginning, but after fixing those things and taking him to the vet to check for parasites and a blood draw, I have noticed he has his down days too and this might just be normal for him for now. It really freaked me out though.

Mine gets that way too! It's still important to do regular checks and stay vigilant. Yoda's slump this year was also a liver infection on top of the winter blues! Wouldn't have caught it it I didn't do annual blood work.
Yes for sure! He has a vet appointment coming up in a month or so. Always important to stay on top of things.

Thank you for sharing. I know some of my issues with my Treebeard was husbandry stuff at the beginning, but after fixing those things and taking him to the vet to check for parasites and a blood draw, I have noticed he has his down days too and this might just be normal for him for now. It really freaked me out though.
Yes it’s super scary at first! I guess chams have their bad days too.

It's hard because we always want to ensure that there are not husbandry related causes for behavior changes... This is the first thing I cover when someone expresses concern. But yes weather can mess with them. I really think that they are tuned into storms and know even when they can not see it. We are getting a massive snow storm today and Beman has been very lazy and not wanting to move around much. Which was great for me because I was able to do some cleaning on his enclosure. Normally he gets pissy when I start trimming his plants and will chase my hands around the cage. LOL
Haha! Yes I should totally take this opportunity and clean up around Bazel’s cage.

I snipped off the dead leaves, wiped down everything with organic terrarium cleaner, and cleaned out Bazels feeder. He better cheer up soon because his 2 year gotcha day is in 3 days!!

I am going through the same! I too live in Ny and these past 2 days my guy is retreating at the bottom as well and curling his tail like for bed. Not all day just the afternoon ish. Early in the day he comes out and adventures like normal. He is also due to shed soon but I was freaking out because he never hangs out low. I will keep an eye but grateful someone else is having this behavior. I did not consider the storm we just had yesterday.

I am going through the same! I too live in Ny and these past 2 days my guy is retreating at the bottom as well and curling his tail like for bed. Not all day just the afternoon ish. Early in the day he comes out and adventures like normal. He is also due to shed soon but I was freaking out because he never hangs out low. I will keep an eye but grateful someone else is having this behavior. I did not consider the storm we just had yesterday.
Glad to hear I’m not alone. Bazels doing the same. He pops his head out for some sunlight in the morning and drinks some water when the mister goes off and then hides away again. I’m thinking of maybe switching the basking bulb for a slightly higher wattage since the temps have dropped so much here.

I think I just figured out another reason for Bazel’s sudden depression. I looked over the other day and realized his favorite ladder in his cage had fallen. I put it back up and this morning he’s climbing along it all happy and bright. LOL what a diva

Attachments

• CABB3543-754B-4E67-8A70-FAD1D68B3C51.jpeg
    CABB3543-754B-4E67-8A70-FAD1D68B3C51.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom