Normal?

Lala0

Is it normal to be able to see your chameleons ribs slightly as they climb or is mine underweight?

How old? Younger chams you can often see the ribs. As they get older they can sort of deflate and you see them for a sec, others you rarely see.

A chameleon has not fat coat in its skin as mammals have. You're always able to see its ribs, hip bones and the tips of the vertebrae. If a chameleons gets fat, his abdominal fat pad inside his body will increase in size. Later on, his muscles will start to store fat, too (which results in a bulged casque and round, thick mastication muscles...) - but you'll still be able to see the chameleon's ribs, although it's heavy overfed! In this stage, most chameleons already got a fat liver. I've never seen a healthy underweight patient in chameleons, but lots of fat ones.

A chameleon has not fat coat in its skin as mammals have. You're always able to see its ribs, hip bones and the tips of the vertebrae. If a chameleons gets fat, his abdominal fat pad inside his body will increase in size. Later on, his muscles will start to store fat, too (which results in a bulged casque and round, thick mastication muscles...) - but you'll still be able to see the chameleon's ribs, although it's heavy overfed! In this stage, most chameleons already got a fat liver. I've never seen a healthy underweight patient in chameleons, but lots of fat ones.

This is a perfect description! I would use it to decide. You could also post a picture.

When a Cham is firing up, Sleeping or just hanging out you shouldnt really be able to see its ribs. When a Cham is stretching, or moving around, its perfectly normal to see its ribs, or when they make awkward movements. Sometimes my Cham will sorta squash his body flat causing his ribs to protruded and that's normal also. I looked at your album and your Cham looks really healthy if he's the one you are asking about.

Ok, another question,

He is also going on a hunger strike and only eating
1-3 crix a day. What can I do to get him to eat more again? I'm going to feed some silkies, anything else I should do?

Sometimes my Chams won't eat if they get bored of what they are eating. Don't jump straight to silk worms because of there fat content but try roaches... Or something along those lines.

Sometimes my Chams won't eat if they get bored of what they are eating. Don't jump straight to silk worms because of there fat content but try roaches... Or something along those lines.

I have bought some silks and roaches, but my cham usually likes to eat from insects climbing on the sides of his cage, which I have heard roaches don't do.

Any way to indices him?

He is also going on a hunger strike and only eating
1-3 crix a day. What can I do to get him to eat more again?

He does not need to eat more. He's a reptile, not a mammal. Mammals use about 70% of the energy taken as food to keep their temperature on a high level. Reptiles just walk to a sunny place to warm up, they don't need as half as much food as mammals. Most chameleons in captivity get too much food, because owners think the chameleons would starve already the first day they don't get anything. But later on, those chameleons will suffer from kidney and liver diseases.

He does not need to eat more. He's a reptile, not a mammal. Mammals use about 70% of the energy taken as food to keep their temperature on a high level. Reptiles just walk to a sunny place to warm up, they don't need as half as much food as mammals. Most chameleons in captivity get too much food, because owners think the chameleons would starve already the first day they don't get anything. But later on, those chameleons will suffer from kidney and liver diseases.

So is 3 crickets a day normal?

Sometimes my panther will only eat a couple a day, so I'd say it's normal for now! Hopefully his appetite will pick up once he's settled in a bit more :)

Back
Top Bottom