Normal?

Ebkruer

View media item 48823
The past few days, my Cham has been sitting with these pigment spots, just solid black areas that never fully go away, they will fade out a little but no matter what she is doing they just stay even when she is sleeping and basking. Is this a normal issue?

View media item 48823
The past few days, my Cham has been sitting with these pigment spots, just solid black areas that never fully go away, they will fade out a little but no matter what she is doing they just stay even when she is sleeping and basking. Is this a normal issue?

Looks like a bruise. How is her grip strength? Have to noticed that she's fallen recently?

Looks like a bruise. How is her grip strength? Have to noticed that she's fallen recently?

I work from home and I haven't seen her fall or anything and her grip is REALLY strong, she climbed out of her cage while I was cleaning it the other day and climbed to the top of our christmas tree the other day without a single issue. She hasn't acted weird, eating normally, climbs around all day, her behavior is still super normal.

I work from home and I haven't seen her fall or anything and her grip is REALLY strong, she climbed out of her cage while I was cleaning it the other day and climbed to the top of our christmas tree the other day without a single issue. She hasn't acted weird, eating normally, climbs around all day, her behavior is still super normal.

Would you please fill this form out and post the results? Maybe there's some other factor in husbandry that needs to be addressed: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Is it a live Christmas tree? They’re toxic to chams

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, I believe about 6 months old and have had her for 4 months
  • Handling - 3-4 times a week, while trying to clean out cage
  • Feeding - Crickets 10-15 a day split into morning and evening feedings, gut loaded with fresh carrots and cricket water, she also eats mustard greens 2 times a week.
  • Supplements - calcium without d3 dusted onto crickets 2 times a week
  • Watering - we have a dripper that runs 2 times a day and she is sprayed down once
  • Fecal Description - white tip about centimeter long and the rest is a solid brown
  • History - She has been diagnosed with MBD

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 screen, wrapped 3 sides right now with gray blanket to help with heat due to winter.
  • Lighting - 20inch UVB bulb arcadia brand and her basking is a 110 watt flood light
  • Temperature - basking stays around 94 degrees middle of cage is about 75
  • Humidity - humidity is staying between 55-66% we have an indoor/outdoor temp and humidity reader
  • Plants - 1 live plant, majesty palm
  • Placement - Living room corner, no traffic, air vent is 10 ft away from her, the cage is off the ground by 1.5 foot.
  • Location - Kentucky, USA

Current Problem - Black spots that fade, but always on her, on arms, down back of tail and one on her side.

• Feeding - Crickets 10-15 a day split into morning and evening feedings, gut loaded with fresh carrots and cricket water, she also eats mustard greens 2 times a week.
Typically, chams should be fed in the morning so they can bask all day to aid in digestion. At six months, you may want to look at lowering her food intake so she doesn't lay massive clutches of unfertilized eggs. Additionally, you should look into a better gutload. Carrots are but shouldn't be the bulk of a gutload. Mustard greens, collard greens, watercress, etc, are much better. Check out the Nutrition Resources for more ideas.
Calcium without D3 should be used on feeders every day! Calcium WITH D3 + a Multivitamin should be used ~ twice a month.
  • Watering - we have a dripper that runs 2 times a day and she is sprayed down once
She should be misted more times a day. The humidity seems alright, but you'll want to make sure there's water on the leaves in her enclosure so she can drink
Did the vet recommend any form of liquid calcium, or? Seems odd that they didn't recommend a change to your supplement schedule.
  • Lighting - 20inch UVB bulb arcadia brand and her basking is a 110 watt flood light
This seems a bit high in temperature for a female veiled. Have you looked at the Veiled care sheet?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, I believe about 6 months old and have had her for 4 months
  • Handling - 3-4 times a week, while trying to clean out cage
  • Fecal Description - white tip about centimeter long and the rest is a solid brown

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 screen, wrapped 3 sides right now with gray blanket to help with heat due to winter.
  • Humidity - humidity is staying between 55-66% we have an indoor/outdoor temp and humidity reader
  • Plants - 1 live plant, majesty palm
  • Placement - Living room corner, no traffic, air vent is 10 ft away from her, the cage is off the ground by 1.5 foot.
  • Location - Kentucky, USA

Current Problem - Black spots that fade, but always on her, on arms, down back of tail and one on her side.
Either add more organic fresh fruits and veggies to your gutload (there’s a list here in the food and nutrition tab in resources) and/or add in a quality commercial gutload, like Cricket Crack, Pangea, Repashy, or Mazuri. Phosphorous free calcium without D3 should be given every feeding. Get a multivitamin with D3 (Zoo Med Reptivite with D3) and use it every two weeks, then you only have to deal with two supplements. Or use an all in one supplement every feeding, like Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall Indoor Formula instead of using a calcium and a multivitamin with D3 supplement (gutload feeders the night before with Sticky Tongue Farms Vitall if using Minerall). She needs to be misted at least 3 times a day for a minimum of 2 minutes each time. I’d invest in an automated mister, like a MistKing. Did the vet prescribe anything for her MBD? I would look into getting a second opinion from a different exotics vet with cham experience. What strength is her uvb bulb? Basking is WAY too high! It needs to be 85*F.

655B683B-5127-4FF6-9D3C-C97A9C90ABCB.png

Back
Top Bottom