NOOOO! Papilloma?

Update: Dr B thinks Stella’s bump does look like a papilloma. He excised it and is sending it off to the lab. My sweet girl was so very good for him! She didn’t hiss once. I hope she’s as good for me as I have to put Silvadene on her little boo boo twice a day.
Get the long Qtip applicators with the wood stick, you can be 6 or 7 inches away!

I am sure she will heal up to be her normal, gorgeous self :)

Thought I’d update with the results of the biopsy...they were somewhat inconclusive. Either is a papilloma or something with ‘xanth’ in the name (he said it so fast) that is pretty common. Either way, excision is said to be curative.
My sweet lady‘s little wound is healing nicely and she’s been quite cooperative in letting me apply the silvadene...as in she only hisses at me a little. Hopefully nothing more will grow on her and she’ll remain healthy.

Thought I’d update with the results of the biopsy...they were somewhat inconclusive. Either is a papilloma or something with ‘xanth’ in the name (he said it so fast) that is pretty common. Either way, excision is said to be curative.
My sweet lady‘s little wound is healing nicely and she’s been quite cooperative in letting me apply the silvadene...as in she only hisses at me a little. Hopefully nothing more will grow on her and she’ll remain healthy.
So happy to hear this ❤️

Xanthoma? Benign fatty tumor. Still..that makes no sense, should be easy to differentiate with histo. Unless...he/she got an insufficient sample or something? I'd ask the vet to rerun the sample or explain why it is inconclusive. Better yet, ask for a copy of the histo. report. Since pap. is contagious and xanthoma is not, I would want to know.

Just my 2 cents. Either way glad she is doing well!!

I recall reading an article somewhere that a reptile keeper, who I believe was pretty well-versed in veterinary medicine, had to have several samples run to test for Pap. Apparently there are a few different strains (not sure thats the right term) and they have to test for them specifically... I’ll try to find the article again. One of my guys has suspect spots but the vet wrote them off as dead scales - entirely possible as he has had a rough shed or two... but thats also the vet who told me there was nothing wrong with Penne’s eyes.

Xanthoma? Benign fatty tumor. Still..that makes no sense, should be easy to differentiate with histo. Unless...he/she got an insufficient sample or something? I'd ask the vet to rerun the sample or explain why it is inconclusive. Better yet, ask for a copy of the histo. report. Since pap. is contagious and xanthoma is not, I would want to know.

Just my 2 cents. Either way glad she is doing well!!
I called and had them spell it out for me...keratoacanthomas. Basic Google result https://cdn.ymaws.com/members.arav....les/Proceedings_2015/Main_Conference/ch20.pdf I’ll have to look it up further.

I noticed this on Stella yesterday. It looks like the start of shedding, but I’m concerned that it’s only in this one spot where she had her growth removed. She had a good shed 2-3 weeks ago. I’m sure time will prove it out if it’s anything to be concerned about, but maybe someone has some experience or insight to share.
9A4DA131-7784-44E8-A814-EEC70D0A72AE.jpeg
06F54EC4-7D8D-45C5-9283-8930EF6152D0.jpeg

IDK, but (addt'l) shedding may be part of the healing process.

I'm a little concerned about the slight yellow discoloration at the center. Could just be healing/scarring underneath, but I'd keep an eye on it for changes/growth.

Hopefully it's just shed and trying to heal and maybe a good shed will help sluff off any old scar tissue or damage from the biopsy assuming there was anything there afterwards.
Always good to be proactive and don't mean to dismiss your concern. I'm just being positive and wishing the best. I don't have much insight or experience with this but that's my gut response.

You've been attentive and provide Great care and husbandry so fingers crossed that your baby is just having a go at healing. Keep on photographing it so you can give a good data set on how it developed and shapes up to provide your vet or even when doing homework on it. 🤞🤞🤞

I just think it’s odd that she just has the one patch of what looks to be shedding in that specific area. I’m hoping and praying that there isn’t any larger growth lurking below that initiated shedding there. She’s a bitey girl, so it’s hard to inspect the area as thoroughly as I’d like. I guess all I can do is wait and watch.

I noticed this on Stella yesterday. It looks like the start of shedding, but I’m concerned that it’s only in this one spot where she had her growth removed. She had a good shed 2-3 weeks ago. I’m sure time will prove it out if it’s anything to be concerned about, but maybe someone has some experience or insight to share.
View attachment 317835View attachment 317836
I have very similar spots on Penelope. Poor thing has already been through so much.

It’s not clear to me if Penne has pap or if it is the result of artillery fungus she had in her enclosure that literally stuck to her scales and caused a few scabs when removing. But I’m positive the white stuff around it is just shed that didn’t come off because of the scab.

Penne’s been thru enough, and there is no treatment for pap, so I havent worried about it. I am
Just careful to feed her last / separately.

I have very similar spots on Penelope. Poor thing has already been through so much.

It’s not clear to me if Penne has pap or if it is the result of artillery fungus she had in her enclosure that literally stuck to her scales and caused a few scabs when removing. But I’m positive the white stuff around it is just shed that didn’t come off because of the scab.

Penne’s been thru enough, and there is no treatment for pap, so I havent worried about it. I am
Just careful to feed her last / separately.
Aww…poor Penne has been thru a lot.
If the growth is coming back, I don’t see the sense in putting Stella thru another removal as it’ll probably just return again. I am careful to avoid spreading her cooties to the others and I check the others to make sure they stay clear too.

Aww…poor Penne has been thru a lot.
If the growth is coming back, I don’t see the sense in putting Stella thru another removal as it’ll probably just return again. I am careful to avoid spreading her cooties to the others and I check the others to make sure they stay clear too.

The pap cases I have read about have growths cropping up in dofferent places, not necessarily regrowing like a tumor might. It looks like the scab part to me (which will likely eventually just flake off completey)

Back
Top Bottom