Noob Intro & Lighting Question

Derrick

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking over this forum for some time now since I started thinking about getting a chameleon. Well I decided to make the plunge! I'd like to thank everyone in advance for all the awesome info on this site and for all the awesome info I'm sure will come later.

I do have a question about lighting though. I know there has already been a lot of discussion about lighting and while all that info is great, I'm still left wondering about light cycles.

From what I've gathered, most people seem to keep their lights on a 12/12 cycle.

What would happen, if anything, if a chameleon was put on a 16/8 give or take an hour?

So far I have my UVB light with a basking light for the day time and a night bulb for night time. The reason I'm thinking about prolonging the chameleons day light exposure is because I tend to work odd hours and his enclosure is in my office at home.

Also, how bad is it or does it not have any effect on the chameleon to have other lights on in the room? For example say his daylights turn off at midnight but I can't sleep and decide to work. If I'm in the office till 2 or 3am with the lights on, will that affect him?

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say. I'll get another thread going showcasing my starter set up. I got it all set up today and can't wait till Tuesday when I will finally get my chameleon.

Im not an expert or anything but you never know what can help :) regarding the lights at night issue in my opinion i think it just depends on the chameleon. My moms chameleon will sleep through anything. She reads late into the night with all her lights on , yet her chameleon sleeps through the lights. On the otherhand though, my chameleon has to have ptch darness to sleep, even if my radio light is on she wont sleep. From what i've heard from other chameleon owners though is that chameleons have to have darkness to sleep. Hope that helps... and best of luck with ur new chameleon.

I wouldn't advise allowing less than 12 hours of "night". If the cage is in a place where it's light longer, then I would drape the cage to block the light once the 12 hours has passed.

Maybe that's just me.

You should have your lights on 12on 12 off and during the winter months I cut back to 10/10 to simulate it getting dark earlier outside. Me personally, i cover my cage at night with large blanket so my chameleon is not distracted in anyway from the lights of my computer. They like it dark! My chameleon will not sleep if the the slightest bit of light it exposed to his cage. Use a timer for your lights and then you don't have to worry about it!

Hi all, i have also got a fast question about lights, thought i wont start a new thread:)
So can you explain the difference between Reptisun and Reptiglo UV lights?

You should have your lights on 12on 12 off and during the winter months I cut back to 10/10 to simulate it getting dark earlier outside. Me personally, i cover my cage at night with large blanket so my chameleon is not distracted in anyway from the lights of my computer. They like it dark! My chameleon will not sleep if the the slightest bit of light it exposed to his cage. Use a timer for your lights and then you don't have to worry about it!

How would you cover the enclosure if you use a night heat lamp? I don't want to burn my house down lol.

How would you cover the enclosure if you use a night heat lamp? I don't want to burn my house down lol.

I don't use a night heat lamp! I live in florida! You won't need one either unless your house gets below 60 degrees or so. They can even take temps lower than that. But 60 is playin it safe.
'

HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU CHANGE THE DAY INTO ONLY 20 HOURS???? :p

Harry

lol! I was doing 7 am til 7 pm and when it started getting dark early I started turning lights on at 8 and off at 6. I know the sun comes up earlier but I was just trying to get a 10/10 cycle going. Actually this was recommended by Kammerflage Kreations so I was just kinda following orders from the higher ups! It seems to work just fine plus my cham gets tons of UVB outside almost everyday so I don't freak about the uvb exposure too mcuh. He is out there right now soakin up the sun as a matter of fact:D:D
Edit::: I just did the math and your are right dah! I stand Corrected Harry! 10 on 14 off!!!!:rolleyes: That is what I meant!! You see my signature just proved true!!!!!!

Last edited:
I took the center a quick look at some sunrise/sunset times for Antananariyo, the capitol city of Madagascar. It is located approximately in the geographic center of the island. It appears that the longest day is about 13 hours in Summer and the shortest day in Winter runs about 11 hours.

I took the center a quick look at some sunrise/sunset times for Antananariyo, the capitol city of Madagascar. It is located approximately in the geographic center of the island. It appears that the longest day is about 13 hours in Summer and the shortest day in Winter runs about 11 hours.

I just did the same for Sana, Yemen and it appears to be the same deal... As little as 11 hours of daylight in the winter to more then 13 hours in the summer

Back
Top Bottom