Noob chameleon owner

Jimmythechameleon

51004C2F-7037-4840-A6B2-BD28C2E8A5A7.jpeg

So my girlfriend surprised me with jimmy(my awesome chameleon) a couple weeks back. I’ve slowly been adding a few things in the cage like the moss vines and schefflera dwarf tree. And also bought the Zoo Med Double Dome UVB light Day Light kit and Zoo Med Reptirain automatic mister. Cage is supposedly long horizontally but I had to turn it over because of the schefflera plant. I just wanted to ask if this setup is good enough until I get my Zoo Med Reptibreeze cage. And also wanted to know if my cage has a decent gradient level of heat and cooling areas?

View attachment 262709
So my girlfriend surprised me with jimmy(my awesome chameleon) a couple weeks back. I’ve slowly been adding a few things in the cage like the moss vines and schefflera dwarf tree. And also bought the Zoo Med Double Dome UVB light Day Light kit and Zoo Med Reptirain automatic mister. Cage is supposedly long horizontally but I had to turn it over because of the schefflera plant. I just wanted to ask if this setup is good enough until I get my Zoo Med Reptibreeze cage. And also wanted to know if my cage has a decent gradient level of heat and cooling areas?
I can tell you right away you will have to get rid of your light setup to get the right lighting. Fill out the form below and people will be able to help you a lot more

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66

I just wanted to ask if this setup is good enough until I get my Zoo Med Reptibreeze cage. And also wanted to know if my cage has a decent gradient level of heat and cooling areas?
I'd be happy to help you with that but I would need to know the dimensions of the cage. The temperatures ambient and basking area and the same for humidity. Basically I need the info from the help form. Here is is if you aren't working on it already. I'll be back.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Jackson Cham, male, I want to guess 4-5 months? I’ve had him since March 26, 2020
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I’m at work 10 hours Five days a week but with this pandemic it’s been cut to 8 hours 4 days a week so I try to handle my chameleon when I’m home.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I’m feeding my Cham medium size crickets that I buy from my local pet store. I feed him four crickets a day which I was told to feed him that much amount. I feed him two in the morning before work and then two when I get home. I feed my crickets water, I don’t have anything to feed my crickets.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? none
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have the Zoo Med automatic mister. I have settings to every 6 hours for 30 seconds. Yes I see him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I’m not too sure if he’s been tested for parasite. But his poop is black with white spots in it.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. no

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

745CAB35-54E4-412D-AE6C-84C4E8EDEB71.jpeg
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?zoo med double dome lamp w/ a 60 watt blue bulb day light and 5.0 mini compact fluorescents (13 watt) light schedule is 7am to 7pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Cage floor temp is 80 with and basking spot is 85. Night time is around 75. I measure the temp with a zoo med thermometer and humidity gauge
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 60-70 humidity.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a schefflera Arboricola dwarf plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? on my computer desk that is roughly around 3 feet tall. Top of the cage to my floor is maybe around 4 or 4 1/2 feet high.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Oahu,Hawai’i

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I wanted to know if my cage setup is safe for my chameleon and if I should keep my heated 60watt day light on all day?

He hasn’t gone through the cage yet but it is really concerning for me. My girlfriend got the cage but I’m planning on getting Reptibreeze cage this week paycheck

Watch the temps carefully, especially at night. The cage floor seems very warm. Not much gradient. They need a significant cool down at night. The lighting may keep it too warm and dry the cage out too fast during the day. If all the water droplets from your rain system dry out too fast the general cage humidity level will drop a lot. That can dehydrate him quickly. You said you are in HI. What are the ambient temps/humidity in the ROOM? You might only need to have a basking light on in the morning if the room gets warm during the day. Turn the heat off and just leave the UV lighting on the rest of the day.

Chameleon Info: I'll put my comments in purple. Here is a link you will need to read https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Jackson Cham, male, I want to guess 4-5 months? I’ve had him since March 26, 2020
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I’m at work 10 hours Five days a week but with this pandemic it’s been cut to 8 hours 4 days a week so I try to handle my chameleon when I’m home. Jackson's are rather shy so I limit handling to times when it is necessary only. They don't flair or bite like some other species but I assure they are freaking out inside about being handled. Unless they intentionally climb on you it is best to restrict handling to moving cage to cage, cage cleaning or other necessities.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I’m feeding my Cham medium size crickets that I buy from my local pet store. I feed him four crickets a day which I was told to feed him that much amount. I feed him two in the morning before work and then two when I get home. I feed my crickets water, I don’t have anything to feed my crickets. Gut load is used to boost and vary the nutrients in your feeders. There is a good list of ingredients way down this page. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? none "Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month." Too much D3 can be toxic so go easy on it.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have the Zoo Med automatic mister. I have settings to every 6 hours for 30 seconds. Yes I see him drinking. You will want to get a hygrometer and adjust your water schedule depending on your levels.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I’m not too sure if he’s been tested for parasite. But his poop is black with white spots in it.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions. You don't say but it look too short to get a good temperature gradient.
    • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?zoo med double dome lamp w/ a 60 watt blue bulb day light and 5.0 mini compact fluorescents (13 watt) light schedule is 7am to 7pm
      • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Cage floor temp is 80 with and basking spot is 85. Night time is around 75. I measure the temp with a zoo med thermometer and humidity gauge I keep my juveniles basking temp closer to 78-80˚F until they are 9 months old. You need to lower your ambient as well to 72˚F and lower at night.
      • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 60-70 humidity. It doesn't need to be that high during the day
      • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a schefflera Arboricola dwarf plant.
      • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? on my computer desk that is roughly around 3 feet tall. Top of the cage to my floor is maybe around 4 or 4 1/2 feet high.
      • Location - Where are you geographically located? Oahu,Hawai’i

• Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
      I wanted to know if my cage setup is safe for my chameleon and if I should keep my heated 60watt day light on all day? You can probably use a 40 Watt and just have it on an hour or so a few times a day.

Watch the temps carefully, especially at night. The cage floor seems very warm. Not much gradient. They need a significant cool down at night. The lighting may keep it too warm and dry the cage out too fast during the day. If all the water droplets from your rain system dry out too fast the general cage humidity level will drop a lot. That can dehydrate him quickly. You said you are in HI. What are the ambient temps/humidity in the ROOM? You might only need to have a basking light on in the morning if the room gets warm during the day. Turn the heat off and just leave the UV lighting on the rest of the day.

My room temp gets to about 75-80 and humidity is around 60-70

Back
Top Bottom