non resceptive

SULEMA2221

i have a total of 12 adult size breeding female 8 of them are receptive and 4 already laid eggs but i have but i have these 4 female vields that will not want nothing to do will a male is this normal how can i make them receptive help please:confused:

Are all of your animals veiled? You didn't specify. Also, just out of my own curiosity, you say 4 of them have laid, so, do you mean you have eggs incubating from 4 different females at the same time??

As far as "making" them receptive, I'm no expert, but I don't think there is a way to do that. They are either receptive, or they are not. If they are not, all you can do is re-introduce her to the male a month later, and continue in monthly intervals until she shows her receptive colors.

I wouldn't continuously show her to the male daily, in hopes that she will be receptive, because she more than likely wont be, and you would be causing her unnecessary stress.

You cant make them be receptive. When they are ready, they will let you know by coloration, usually. Hold the female near the males cage and she will let you know when she is ready. If she gapes, hisses and rocks back and forth she isnt ready. Wait a few days and try again. But my question is what are you going to do when all those baby veileds hatch. They are alot of work!!!! You are gonna have your hands full, I can tell you that!! Not saying anything bad, just hope you know what you are in for!

i am going to be one of your biggest captive breed breeder of veild chameleons in florida if i can even tho i cant compete with flchams but i have over 20 females but 12 are breedable size but i already feed alot of mouths i have over 50 female breeding leopard geckos so that right there is alot but i have feed alot of bearded dragons back in 2005 but that was a hobby im like a perfectionist i like to do stuff at the max

Yeah....you realize that could be at least around 250+ tiny lives dependent on you. I sure hope you know what you are getting yourself into, and you have the money to provide what they need. Food is only the beginning.

All I have to say is you cant MAKE the female receptive she will be receptive when she is ready. She might be full of infertile eggs. I have not bred, but kept leopard geckos, and also bred veilds and with my natural enviroment (British Columbia) baby veilds where alot more chalenging then the geckos. Dont know your setup and also am not judging but I truly wish you well. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah....you realize that could be at least around 250+ tiny lives dependent on you. I sure hope you know what you are getting yourself into, and you have the money to provide what they need. Food is only the beginning.

More like 600 tiny lives. I sure hope you learn how to breed your own feeders. Baby veilds eat a lot

Wow, I didn't realize veiled chams lay so many eggs! :eek:

Yeah, that is a lot of little, tiny mouths to feed.

A female veild lays anywhere between 25 to 100 eggs per clutch. Most of the time it seems like clutch size is around 50 tho there are things you can do to try to get smaller clutchs like control temp and food intake of the female.

In the space of 5 months We went through having 4 batches of panther eggs hatch, each clutch was about 35 eggs....plus 53 veild eggs hatched and raising and feeding all the babies (just about 200) was a little intimidating . And this was just from one panther pair and one veild pair.

Then you should raise the baby panthers until 3 months old before they go to new homes... veilds can be rehomed at 2 months ... but think each baby eats about 10 pinhead crickets a day every day. That's somewhere around 2000 crickets a day....14000 crickets a week. (that's why I suggest learning how to breed your own feeders)

Babies are a lot of work, no lie. We do it because we love babies and love Chameleons. Your not really going to make a lot of money breeding Chameleons. You'll probably make just enough to support the habit...

Dez beat me to it. He's right- LOTS of work. Back in the mid-late 90s when I first started breeding, I dove in head first and realized how much commitment this hobby takes. At one point I had about 175 baby Veileds and a group of 5 adults, and I was going through about 500-800 1/4" crickets a day. I bred my own, but there was still NO WAY I could achieve breeding enough. I had an ant problem at that house and they were decimating my crickets. I had to get an account with a local cricket farm and buy in bulk. I would spend about $60 a week on crickets. I had to start offering my babies in our local classifieds and advertising that I could supply feeders to all customers. This helped me with the cost of buying all of these crickets. So a business was born. I had to get a business license, record and remit sales tax every 6 weeks. In short, it became a head ache. One plus to it was the people- One dissadvantage was the people. I learned a hard lesson in giving directions to total strangers to your home. When I was out of breeding, I was very relieved and stress free. It can be fun, but it is A LOT OF HARD WORK!!!!

thanks alot for all your info guys you will be the first to know when they start hatching buy the way if any of u guys want to sell any breedable size female let me know please i produce over 1200 baby leos last year and i was going threw like 4k crickets a week not includding superworms but i was also feeding beardies and couple of monitors

Yikes.
And I though I was diving in head first with my 1.3 veiled setup I picked up on top of my 2.4 Nosy Be established setup.

You'll easily be going through 15k crickets a week at your highest peak.

Good luck!

thanks again tell me how those panthers are those might be my next project i just hear to many bad stories about them being alot harder then veileds

Back
Top Bottom