Non-fertilized eggs

Ktbuerger

We received a juvenile veiled for Christmas and are working on setting up “her” terrarium. We say “her” based on the book we are reading (size and no tarsal spur) since the pet store didn’t know sex or age.
We are prepping her lay bin, but my question is what do we do with the non-fertilized eggs she lays? Do we just leave them in the bin? Are we supposed to dig for them & remove them?

Thanks!

We received a juvenile veiled for Christmas and are working on setting up “her” terrarium. We say “her” based on the book we are reading (size and no tarsal spur) since the pet store didn’t know sex or age.
We are prepping her lay bin, but my question is what do we do with the non-fertilized eggs she lays? Do we just leave them in the bin? Are we supposed to dig for them & remove them?

Thanks!
You removed them and throw them away can you get a picture of the back feet

Welcome to the forum!

You remove the eggs and count them before you throw them away. The number of eggs they lay will indicate whether you need to put her on a diet or not to prevent reproductive issues and death.

Overfeeding the females can cause them to produce huge clutches and push her into MBD, follicular stasis, prolapsed, etc.
Controlling her diet and temperatures, starting just as she approaches sexual maturity, can prevent these issues.

If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum we can go over your husbandry for you.

You removed them and throw them away can you get a picture of the back feet
Will these work?
571D84EE-6852-4DC4-BB32-B792DBED2E7E.jpeg

Attachments

• C95C4BB2-F04F-406A-9912-FD8E2454B826.jpeg
    C95C4BB2-F04F-406A-9912-FD8E2454B826.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 64
Welcome to the forum! Is this your first chameleon?

I aim for 20ish. Too many eggs leads to follicular stasis or dystocia and death in most cases.
In almost all the cases the clutch size can be controlled by diet and temperature. Once the female is approaching maturity it's important to cut her back to 4 or 5 crickets or other insects of the same total value 2 or 3 times a week and keep the temperature in the basking area at 80F to slow her metabolism so she will ovulate less follicles/produce less eggs.

Back
Top Bottom