Ninkylou's Hornworm Hotel

Ninkylou

Who wants to check in?

Currently I have 12 hornworm Pupae snuggled beneath a warm blanket of EcoEarth. Gently getting misted each day.

14 hours of warm sunlight provided by a mercury vapor light.

Privacy provided by a vinyl shower curtain, hopefully covering the areas that will most likely get splashed by the feeder juice.

Catering by Hummingbird feeders INC.

Have hornworm food mix and containers with screens from Mulberry farms awaiting the first laying of eggs.

Hotel measures 2 x 2 x 4.

Last thing to come in will be some tomato plants either when they are in stock at Lowes or if my little sproutlings are big enough.

The residents have been checked in for as long as 2 weeks and as little as 1. I removed 2 pupae that were starting to decay.

Crossing my fingers that they emerge safely and that I have at least a variety of sexes.... that would be my luck to have all one sex....Hoping for 3 randy boys and the rest females.

So you Seattle area peeps I may be overrun with hornworms in the next few months!!!

Open to any and all critique and suggestions for additional equipment that I might need.

I do have a dorm fridge en route, I am hoping to use that to slow growth and keep maggots from pupating when I get my spikes.

2014-03-17 16.48.47.jpg

I bought the dry mix from Mulberry farms and will make it as I need it. I buy my hornworms from them and have been pleased, I find their food does not mold as readily as others and they eat it up like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom