Night Black Heat - Panther Chameleon habitat

GlitterDragon

Hello,
New to the forum, but have found lots of great information already.

Confetti, a 2 year old Panther Chameleon recently joined my household. We live in San Diego California, so the temperatures don't get too cold, but often our nights get cool and I want to ensure the temperature of Confetti's habitat(he's in a 24x24x48 enclosure, with both a UV light and heat lamp.

Today I purchased a "Night Black Heat" Incandescent SPOT to keep his enclosure at a warm temperature.

Today someone told me, it should have been a "Red Light"

I'd love your thoughts.....

Don't use anything. Chameleons like it cooler at night with total darkness. That is just the pet shop trying to sell you more equipment.

After re-reading your post, you are talking about the night time correct? Because in the day time you can usually just use a regular light bulb in a heat lamp to get the desired temps. (In addition to your UVB bulb)

I'm in canada our nights get much colder, and I use nothing at night as I've been told by MANY forum members that they need the drop, mind you my chams are usually supposed to have lower temps

Chameleons are fine to go down to the 50's at night. They actually do well to have a good drop in temperature at night to slow their metabolism. You do not need any heat source unless temperatures are going in to the low 50's then you could use a ceramic heat emitter as any light at night can disturb their sleep cycle. I use a red light flash light to look around at the bugs etc at night and if I shine it on the chameleons they always wake up. So I know from personal experience that the red light is in fact detectable by them.

Chameleons are fine to go down to the 50's at night. They actually do well to have a good drop in temperature at night to slow their metabolism. You do not need any heat source unless temperatures are going in to the low 50's then you could use a ceramic heat emitter as any light at night can disturb their sleep cycle. I use a red light flash light to look around at the bugs etc at night and if I shine it on the chameleons they always wake up. So I know from personal experience that the red light is in fact detectable by them.

so true. so true.
:)

Back
Top Bottom