Nice Forum

PCD

Stumbled across this forum the other day and spent many hours reading. Lots of great information here!

I'm a new chameleon owner, well, since my 19 year old son moved in with me :)

We started out with a Leopard Gecko approximately a year ago and he's still around, nice and healthy in his 40 gallon desert environment habitat.

My son had been making some noise about a chameleon recently, so a week ago I found a nice package deal from a very pleasant dude who was selling because he needed the cash.

Prior to purchase I did my own research, although my son could recite chameleon care in his sleep by this time :)

We ended up with a blue bar Panther, around 5 months old, along with a 18 x 18 x 36 screen enclosure, live tree, some fake climbing branch's, 3 lights, etc.

I also purchased an automatic fogger (Zoo Med) and a large 3 gallon floor model humidifier.

"Neo" is healthy, patrols his territory often, and eats like a horse. Butter worms and Horn worms so far. Tried a few crickets but he has to work pretty hard to get them and they hide in the moss I have in the bottom of the enclosure.

His colours are spectacular and he has no problems being handled or being hand fed for that matter. He's good with his aim and hasn't missed yet :)

Its taken me a week and 30 gallons of water to get the humidity up to 60% in his room, but we're finally there. I also have the mister set to spray for 15 seconds every 3 hours, plus spray down the moss a couple of times per day. He drinks off leaves but I have seen him take drips off the nozzle and may try a water bottle like you would use for hamsters etc.

My only error so far was leaving the heat lamp on at night, which I stopped doing after reading about it here.

A larger enclosure is in order, and I will be moving to a 24x24x48 in the next month or so.

They certainly do require some dedication to keep in optimal conditions, but that's part of the commitment of having a chameleon in my opinion.

So again, great forum and thanks for all the excellent information!

Peter

Hello and welcome to the forums! :) That's awesome that you've done so much research and that your little one is settling in so nice. This forum is wonderful. Welcome again!

Hello and welcome! A picture of his enclosure would be great.

I read that you have moss on the bottom. Most people recommend not having anything on the bottom. It can be ingested and cause problems, and it can also hide feces and dead crickets. Bare bottom is the way to go.

Nice! Welcome to the forums! I too stumbled across this site and it is information overload! Its really neat to be able to see first hand how people are keeping their chameleons. You can even find people from your area. Which is awesome. This site even has a couple of reptile vets floating around on it! A whole section devoted to chameleon health issues. Its just a great site all around. :D Your set up sounds great! I would like to see it!:) Your humidity issue may be easier to control if you cover a couple sides of his enclosure. I live in a cold environment as well, and struggled with humidity at first. There are several options for covering sides. Some use shower curtains cut to size needed with velcro, I personally use cling wrap. It is just what I had on hand and works great for me. You can also put more live plants in there. Just be sure to cover the soil with rocks to prevent any accidental ingestion. I've read it can cause impaction in chams. Never experienced it first hand though. Be careful with the worms! Believe it or not, panthers actually get addicted to those! haha The worms that you are feeding are some of the best ones to offer so that is really good! I am really looking forward to seeing you panther chameleon! Posting pictures on here is always good, especially of your enclosure. You will get some great feedback on how to perfect that cage for your chameleon. Again, welcome to the forums, and welcome to the addiction :D

Just quickly did the bucket thing, hope links don't die.

Thanks for the welcome!

The moss is more at the base of the plant, and some has fallen on the floor of enclosure, but I do have a layer of Natural Pet Bedding about an inch deep, primarily because of my (unfounded?) fear of him falling :)

Have some other pics where he is showing off the colours, but lets see if these stay up first!

Pete

Neo is a cutie pie! Best of luck with him and glad that you found the forums. There's always something new to be learned, and you'll make friends with people you've never even met :D

welcome to the forums! Set up with the plants and vines looks great!! Neo looks great too very nice colours

As mentioned with the moss, many people would advise from it, especially if your spraying that directly and keeping it moist, can that not cause stagnant air? which could develop health issues. Same goes with the substrate at the bottom and has potential for impaction if any get ingested when hunting.

Wrapping a side or 2 will help with humidity but you can also try longer spray sessions if not mistaken a lot of people have their misters go off anywhere between 2-5 mins every few hours. minding you that the enclosure has time to completely dry between mistings.

Feeding: forget which ones but some wroms can become addicting so variety or limiting the amount is a good idea, with crickets being hard to hunt you can try a feeder cup many threads on those.

Lastly, you said 3 lights were given to you? what 3 lights were they, what are they for? looks like red basking (which isnt really needed, isnt natual) and UVB. whats the 3rd. Lastly not to say its the wrong choice but linear UVB bulbs seem to be the more popular choice, more light coverage.

Thank you :)

The enclosure is a little too full for my liking, however keep in mind I'm going to a larger size shortly and it will be a little less cluttered. I think I'll buy 2 of the 24x24x36 size and modify them, one on top of the other. Should be very simple to do and that will do for the foreseeable future. Ebay has a nice solid looking aluminium model for around a hundred bucks.

Any issues feeding him primarily Hornworms? He loves them and doesn't seem to be bothered by them. His poops are good looking and he can hork a big one down in just a few seconds. He does get the odd Butterworm, but doesn't seem to care for crickets or beetles too much. That could be my fault though since I'm pretty much hand feeding him, or putting the worm on a branch about a foot away (they only last a few seconds). Why should he hunt right? :)

He gets lots of exercise though, patrols his territory quite a bit.

Well, so far so good!

welcome to the forums! Set up with the plants and vines looks great!! Neo looks great too very nice colours

As mentioned with the moss, many people would advise from it, especially if your spraying that directly and keeping it moist, can that not cause stagnant air? which could develop health issues. Same goes with the substrate at the bottom and has potential for impaction if any get ingested when hunting.

Wrapping a side or 2 will help with humidity but you can also try longer spray sessions if not mistaken a lot of people have their misters go off anywhere between 2-5 mins every few hours. minding you that the enclosure has time to completely dry between mistings.

Feeding: forget which ones but some wroms can become addicting so variety or limiting the amount is a good idea, with crickets being hard to hunt you can try a feeder cup many threads on those.

Lastly, you said 3 lights were given to you? what 3 lights were they, what are they for? looks like red basking (which isnt really needed, isnt natual) and UVB. whats the 3rd. Lastly not to say its the wrong choice but linear UVB bulbs seem to be the more popular choice, more light coverage.

One heat lamp, and 2 UV. The first one the fellow bought was small size, so he purchased a medium as well. I may change them to longitudinal type when I swap enclosures.

Moss and substrata are already gone. I didn't come here to ignore good advice :)

I have 2 nozzles and was spraying for 15 seconds every 3 hours. The enclosure was 100% dry before the next spray. Tonight I changed it to one spray, 15 second duration, every hour.

I use distilled water (purchased) with a splash of Reptisafe water conditioner.

Don't forget that in the same room, I have a large floor model humidifier on "high" and it gets filled once in the morning and once at night. The room humidity is 55 and that's the best its ever going to get. Took like 30 gallons to get it there.

Humidity directly (1 foot) under the light goes from 80 after a spray to about 40 when it dries, but that's directly under the light. Anywhere around the cage is 55.

awesome glad to hear you've made some changes and have everything workign out for you :) just realized your from toronto as well, where abouts?

awesome glad to hear you've made some changes and have everything workign out for you :) just realized your from toronto as well, where abouts?

Well, I say Toronto because Keswick doesn't really stand out :)

One more....

ooo makes sense. btw earlier mentioned the red bulb, dont think anything is necessarily wrong with it, however a more natural colour will help brighten up the enclosure a bit and might make the colours look a bit vibrant, many people including myself use household incandescent bulbs as a cheaper alternative. aside from that look forward to seeing you on the forums and hope you and neo do well

ooo makes sense. btw earlier mentioned the red bulb, dont think anything is necessarily wrong with it, however a more natural colour will help brighten up the enclosure a bit and might make the colours look a bit vibrant, many people including myself use household incandescent bulbs as a cheaper alternative. aside from that look forward to seeing you on the forums and hope you and neo do well

Yes, thanks for the advice, always welcome.

Next time I have him out to run around, I will take some pics...his colours are absolutely insane
I've seen him twice as colourful as this

Yes, thanks for the advice, always welcome.

Next time I have him out to run around, I will take some pics...his colours are absolutely insane
I've seen him twice as colourful as this

Welcome!
Nice setup. As you know the more you have in it the more places for his food to hide. As you get a larger setup it will thin out.
Your boy looks healthy and is getting nice color.
I am so glad you found chams aren't they just the best

Also try Todd at Lightyourreptiles.com
Give him a call or email.
He is one of the sponsors and has great ideas on lighting especially for live planted enclosures.

Take care
Lisa

enclosure looks great! Don't worry about the clutter... like Fleetwood said, it will thin out when he gets his new enclosure. When you do get the linear uvb you should think about getting the 10.0. 5.0 will be almost completely filtered out once it gets through that screen. Horn worms are great for hydration, if that is what most of his diet consists of don't be surprised if his BM's get runny. Do you gut load them? I've always used worms as snacks or "treats" but to each his own :D Do be careful, hornworms get huge and chameleons do not care if they can choke. They will try and eat it no matter how big. Your humidity sound great to me! Having nice peaks, as well as drops is perfect :) He is stunning! Wait until you get him out into some real sun light! he is going to blow your mind. I didn't catch his name. Does he have on?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom