Newly Hatched Chamelon Help!!

felo1812

Hi guys, so I had the pleasure of witnessing a Chamelon "birth". I got the egg along with my panther about 6 months ago, about last week it started to peep then shortly after l it hatched. I have since moved him to a large tote with plenty of branches and live plants. I would say he's around 5
20200829_124931.jpg
20200829_124920.jpg
days old. I've noticed it sleeps (more like a nap) during the day couple times, I mist around 3-4 times a day making sure there are water droplets on the leaves of the plants. I have it on a Reptisun T8 5.0 UVB and a basking spot around 80-81 degrees. Thing is I haven't seen him eat really and he looks lethargic to me, it has plenty of fruit flies to grub on, but he seem not interested on them and it has me worried. I've have put him out in the morning sun to see if it would stimulate feeding or maybe it would give him a kick of energy to feed but no luck? I would highly appreciate any help!!

Hi guys, so I had the pleasure of witnessing a Chamelon "birth". I got the egg along with my panther about 6 months ago, about last week it started to peep then shortly after l it hatched. I have since moved him to a large tote with plenty of branches and live plants. I would say he's around 5View attachment 275924View attachment 275925 days old. I've noticed it sleeps (more like a nap) during the day couple times, I mist around 3-4 times a day making sure there are water droplets on the leaves of the plants. I have it on a Reptisun T8 5.0 UVB and a basking spot around 80-81 degrees. Thing is I haven't seen him eat really and he looks lethargic to me, it has plenty of fruit flies to grub on, but he seem not interested on them and it has me worried. I've have put him out in the morning sun to see if it would stimulate feeding or maybe it would give him a kick of energy to feed but no luck? I would highly appreciate any help!!
I would be concerned about the UVB being a T8 (lower output) and the angle that it is at. I do not have numbers on a T8 without screen being used. I do know that for a T5 (higher output) without screen it should be about 10 inches above to produce a 3 uvi level. UVB is a little tricky on how it works the reflector is really important and placement. Looking at what you have set up The reflector is making the light go more out from the wall rather then down. IMO this is playing into the napping during the day. I am guessing that the baby is not getting the UVB it needs. The only way to know for sure with your set up is with a solarmeter 6.5. Or go buy a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb and mount it so that it is sitting about 10 inches above the top basking areas (not on the wall) might consider a rack shelving system as it would allow you to place the fixture at the height you want and have the baby bin on a shelf below. This way you would at least have the correct fixture and know the distance for it.

Has it eaten at all? Is it pooping?
I'd be worried about the substrate in the black pot getting ingested too.

I would be concerned about the UVB being a T8 (lower output) and the angle that it is at. I do not have numbers on a T8 without screen being used. I do know that for a T5 (higher output) without screen it should be about 10 inches above to produce a 3 uvi level. UVB is a little tricky on how it works the reflector is really important and placement. Looking at what you have set up The reflector is making the light go more out from the wall rather then down. IMO this is playing into the napping during the day. I am guessing that the baby is not getting the UVB it needs. The only way to know for sure with your set up is with a solarmeter 6.5. Or go buy a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb and mount it so that it is sitting about 10 inches above the top basking areas (not on the wall) might consider a rack shelving system as it would allow you to place the fixture at the height you want and have the baby bin on a shelf below. This way you would at least have the correct fixture and know the distance for it.
k you! I already ordered a Arcadia bulb (expedited) hopefully it will be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest, I usually use the t5's but since I was kinda unprepared for the hatching, I didn't expect him to hatch out this soon, thankfully I had a t8 laying around with a uvb bulb, I will fix the distance so hopefully more UV hits the little guy until the Arcadia bulb comes in.

Hi guys, so I had the pleasure of witnessing a Chamelon "birth". I got the egg along with my panther about 6 months ago, about last week it started to peep then shortly after l it hatched. I have since moved him to a large tote with plenty of branches and live plants. I would say he's around 5View attachment 275924View attachment 275925 days old. I've noticed it sleeps (more like a nap) during the day couple times, I mist around 3-4 times a day making sure there are water droplets on the leaves of the plants. I have it on a Reptisun T8 5.0 UVB and a basking spot around 80-81 degrees. Thing is I haven't seen him eat really and he looks lethargic to me, it has plenty of fruit flies to grub on, but he seem not interested on them and it has me worried. I've have put him out in the morning sun to see if it would stimulate feeding or maybe it would give him a kick of energy to feed but no luck? I would highly appreciate any help!!

Hey there! Congrats on the new babe.
For all my babies up to three or four months I use t8 fixtures set on top of the cage. My uvi readings are a little above 3UVI taken at the tip top of the inside of the enclosure against the screen. I have successfully raised many babies under these lights. Do take into account these bulbs aren’t new and I’m getting these levels. The babies usually ceiling walk and bask under them.

For my chams 3-4 months I put them in larger enclosures with t5 lights mounted on top. I get gnarly uvi readings with these t5’s. About 7 uvi at the basking spot a few inches from the inside top of the enclosure. For the t5’s I layer fiberglass window screen between the light and outside top of the enclosure in order to bring the UVI down to 3.

So yes, t5 will work for you, as another member mentioned, however I would definitely mount it 6 inches above the cage, as she also said, and be very cautious.

It worries me possibly overwhelming their little bodies which is why I chose t8’s. My suggestion is to play it safe and go with t8.

Something else I’ll add is that the babies may not be destined to make it from the get go. Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, but that’s just the honest truth. After about 5-6 days they usually start eating, but some that don’t often times with perish. It may have nothing to do with you. Make sure they have more than enough water (with PROPER drainage) because I notice that often times that is worse than not eating. Plus they can’t absorb nutrients and such if they’re dehydrated.

For all my babies up to three or four months I use t8 fixtures set on top of the cage. My uvi readings are a little above 3UVI taken at the tip top of the inside of the enclosure against the screen. I have successfully raised many babies under these lights. Do take into account these bulbs aren’t new and I’m getting these levels. The babies usually ceiling walk and bask under them.

For my chams 3-4 months I put them in larger enclosures with t5 lights mounted on top. I get gnarly uvi readings with these t5’s. About 7 uvi at the basking spot a few inches from the inside top of the enclosure. For the t5’s I layer fiberglass window screen between the light and outside top of the enclosure in order to bring the UVI down to 3.

So yes, t5 will work for you, as another member mentioned, however I would definitely mount it 6 inches above the cage, as she also said, and be very cautious.

It worries me possibly overwhelming their little bodies which is why I chose t8’s. My suggestion is to play it safe and go with t8.

Something else I’ll add is that the babies may not be destined to make it from the get go. Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, but that’s just the honest truth. After about 5-6 days they usually start eating, but some that don’t often times with perish. It may have nothing to do with you. Make sure they have more than enough water (with PROPER drainage) because I notice that often times that is worse than not eating. Plus they can’t absorb nutrients and such if they’re dehydrated.
I have no hands on experience with T8's... What do you think of the placement of theirs? I was concerned about the angle. I know what I get with my T5 and reflectors but that does not look to have a great reflector and with it side mounted I do not think much uvb would be going to the cham. What do you think?

@felo1812
Also, forgot to mention, those bulbs I spoke about are all 5.0’s.

I notice with too high uvi the chams usually will hide and show signs of being stressed out. Thought that may help since you don’t have a uvi meter and are trying to gauge everything without one.

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience, I know and I'm prepared that the little one might not make it (sometimes it's regular course of nature) and since it's my first baby I really don't know how they behave, I'm hoping like you said that it will start eating in the next day or so ?? i lowerd the t8 in hopes that more UV gets to it, he has plenty of cover so it should have plenty of room to self regulate.

I have no hands on experience with T8's... What do you think of the placement of theirs? I was concerned about the angle. I know what I get with my T5 and reflectors but that does not look to have a great reflector and with it side mounted I do not think much uvb would be going to the cham. What do you think?

I read your comment on that and forgot to comment on it. Thank you for bringing it up again.

IMHO I agree with you. I feel like a lot of the light is being wasted with the front side not being covered. My assumption is that the only effective uvi is pretty darn close to the bulb. If continuing with use of that t8 bulb I would get a proper fixture with a good reflector. I use the reptisun t8 fixture.

I want to say that using the “shiny” side of some foil to create a makeshift reflector on the front of the bulb on that fixture may help with directing the light and uvb downward. At least until a proper fixture is ordered and received by the OP. I’ve not used foil for this type of application so it’s just an idea that I cannot say will work or not work.

With the fixtures I have, I just tested the UVI approximately 4 inches down without screen blocking the bulb. Result was about a 1.5. That being said, I’m going to guess that the OP is not getting nearly that high of a reading without the proper reflector.

My gut is telling me that the current fixture needs to be closer to the tub and more branches need to be put under the bulb for the cham to access the uvb better. I would even do that AND add the foil.

Back
Top Bottom