Newest addition: Goliath

ProjectChaos

First and foremost, thank you for the warm welcome. My name is Chris from Memphis, TN and I have been a part of the forum since February. However, I have been silent since then, instead, simply reading threads that apply to my situations and furthering my knowledge on certain situations. Now that I have studied vigorously into the Chameleon world, I own 2. A Veiled Chameleon, conveniently named Waldo (Male). and the most recent, Giant Meller's Chameleon named Goliath. This thread focuses particularly on Goliath.

Goliath was purchased at a reptile convention (ReptiCon) in Southaven, MS on 4-30-2011 (Saturday) from a slightly questionable mass breeder (Not specifically focus on one species of reptile). The man behind the booth was able to provide me with very little personal knowledge of the Giant Meller's Chameleon which were IMPORTS out of the two that were for sale, I chose, of course, the one that looked to be healthiest. However, both weren't in perfect shape. Either way, I knew I would purchase one in eager emotion to nurse it back to good health. The one that I chose took to me like it was meant to be. I made my transaction and exited the show, beginning my immediate journey back to our home in Bartlett, TN.

Day 1: When I got home, I immediately placed him in his preset enclosure and left him alone. Only to bother him occasionally to refill his drippers and regulate humidity. His hydration levels were low, showing wrinkled skin, and using the "Pinch the belly" method. He did not eat, nor explore much. However, his little eye turrets were panning over every inch of his 4'x4'x3' enclosure.

Day 2: (Sunday) Waking up, I refilled his drippers and changed his water. He drank for nearly 10 minutes! I introduced a single superworm by hand and he didn't bite, so I tried lifting his bowl closer to show him the worms inside, still no bite. I left him alone after that to continue acclimating to his enclosure. I scheduled a vet visit for Monday to have him checked.

Day 3: (Monday) Waking up, I refilled his drippers and changed his water. He drank for 5 minutes. I introduced a superworm by hand and he bit! But he wasn't interested in a second. He's showing signs of improvement. His hydration seems to be getting better, but still not 100%. I gave him a 30 minute rain chamber session with very dim lights, he napped the entire durration and was upset when it was over. i placed him back into his terrarium for the rest of the morning/afternoon. at 4:00pm it was time for the vet visit. His ride there was peaceful, however his enema was slightly upsetting. Being that he was new in my possession and hadn't but barely eaten, I had no fecal matter to present to the doctor. Therefor, an enema was in play. The doctor got a small bit and took it back for examination. Flatulid parasites (SP) were found, thankfully they aren't pathogenic. I recieved medication to administer orally once a day for 5 days, then once a week for 3 weeks. this will get rid of the parasites. other diagnosis were that he, may, at one point in time, have had a calcium deficiency (horn veers to the left, and left eye doesn't close all the way) "Not a bad specimen, but not the best I have ever seen" -Dr. Hannon. So I returned home, and put him back in his enclosure to relieve the stress from the car ride.

Day 4: (Tuesday) (Today) Woke up, changed his water and refilled his drippers. he drank for maybe a minute or 2. Recieved a rain chamber session for 30 minutes in very dim lighting, slept the entire durration. ate 3 superworms! and began exploring his enclosure more indepth. He seems more alert and calm than day one. his skin is beginning to look more full and hydrated and his colors are more defined. I gave him his medicine and he is showing signs or hasty improvement.

I hope Goliath lives to be healthy and happy by my side, I'm worried though because I'm reading too much about the high failure rating for import Meller's. I'm hoping I can help Goliath be a part of those select few success stories. He is the sweetest thing, and is already starting to recognize me as his keeper. I make this thread because I know there are very knowledgeable people on this site that are friendly and helpful and overall: positive. If you are familiar with Meller's and willing to pitch your opinion or advice, I WANT to hear it. Thank you for taking the time to read about my situation and hopefully someone may find it to be helpfully to theirs!

The site I learned the most from was: http://www.melleridiscovery.com

Attachments

• Goliath2.jpg
    Goliath2.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Goliath.jpg
    Goliath.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 176
hmm

I don't really have anything to contribute as I know nothing about these chams. However after reading that I just want to say that I wish you luck it sounds like he his doing much better and is going to make it right on man!

Thank you buddy, I'll be sure to update this thread daily to keep everyone posted on his improvement. He's sleeping soundly right now :)

Congrats on your new addition. I remember seeing him there. Was it Joel that sold him to you? Big guy with a mohawk....super nice but as you say not knowing much about Chams. I got my veil from Reptiles Etcetera they had quite a few babies and were very knowledgeable and I picked one out and wanted a male and low and behold they told me mine was a male. The minute we got in the car to go home "Ozzie" was drinking some water so I knew he would be ok.

See you around the forums :)

Congrats on your new addition. I remember seeing him there. Was it Joel that sold him to you? Big guy with a mohawk....super nice but as you say not knowing much about Chams. I got my veil from Reptiles Etcetera they had quite a few babies and were very knowledgeable and I picked one out and wanted a male and low and behold they told me mine was a male. The minute we got in the car to go home "Ozzie" was drinking some water so I knew he would be ok.

See you around the forums :)

I didn't know all of this stuff goes on in Mass.:D:D

had a calcium deficiency (horn veers to the left, and left eye doesn't close all the way)
He is the sweetest thing, and is already starting to recognize me as his keeper.
The site I learned the most from was: http://www.melleridiscovery.com

Welcome to the world of melleri! Sometimes you can luck out and get a really nice, mellow, almost friendly wc cham. You are doing the right things...showering, water, water, water. "He's" got to drink until he is full every day. Eventually, once he's acclimated and has his reserves rebuilt, he won't drink as much. The main problem new ones face is dehydration and associated organ stress/damage. Some melleri are very stressy and others are not. Remember, he won't be showing you his true personality for a while yet...it can take months before truely acclimated. They tend to do OK for several weeks initially but can decline for no apparent reason later (after all the accumulated stress of transport, capture, etc is over). Just be aware of this as it can catch new keepers off guard.

They often damage their rostral horn on cage or shipping containers. The horn is fragile and often lost completely. It might drop off, might stay crooked. The closed eye is most likely a symptom of stress and dehydration (eye irritation). I doubt either has anything to do with calcium deficiency.

The Melleri Discovery is pretty much the standard great info source for them.

Good luck with the new wc mellers. Im not exp with mellers so I cant help you out there but I noticed in your pics you were using an analog gauge. I would get rid of that thing man. Those analog gauges are notoriously known for displaying wrong temps or humidity. Go to Hd or Lowes and buy a cheap digital temp/hygrometer combo unit. They are like ten bux. They have a wand to attach under his basking branch so you get reliable basking temps and alot more reliable humidity readings. Just a tip for you, sounds like your on the right road so far.....

Back
Top Bottom