Newborn Jackson questions

NatureButch

My Jackson had 20 beautiful babies 2 days ago. I have had mom since mid July 2012 and I guess ignorance is why I didn't know she was pregnant. When I had brought mom to the vet a week after getting her, they said she was a little thin. So the weight gain didn't translate to pregnancy to me.

1) Anyhow, I have them in a glass tank and screen enclosure. Should I move them to an all screen enclosure now or wait a month or so? I've read not to provide too much height so the babies aren't so far from their food. I've got fruit flies and one wk old crickets in there for them.

2) Two babies have two deformed feet in that they can't pinch properly when they walk. Is there any reasonable chance they can survive? One baby - two front feet and not active. Second baby - feet on right hand side and more active.

3) Are the babies supposed to be dark colored for a period of time? Or does the dark color mean the same as an adult - they are sick or don't have the correct temp?

4) My vet and reading has prepared me that they will not all survive. Is there a threshold of a certain number of days/wks that if the baby has survived, chances are it will continue to live? So far all 20 are still living.

5) What is the proper lighting for them? I have a power sun 100 watt but that's too strong I'm sure. So right now I have a 13 watt fluorescent temporarily. I've been trying to keep them near the window to get outside sun in the meantime. I've read conflicting suggestions for lighting.

6) Is it too soon to sex? Based off of colors, I've been predicting males for some. However, there seem to be a lot of males!

7) Will "gut" on mom go away over time? Can you see it in the picture?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Pic of two babies with feet probs

It won't let me add more than one pic. The active one laid on top of the inactive one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 217
Beautiful babies. You should fill out ask for help form with all of your enclosure specs and I'm sure someone who keeps jacksons can sort you out

Beautiful babies. You should fill out ask for help form with all of your enclosure specs and I'm sure someone who keeps jacksons can sort you out

for as helpul as this forum is I cant understand why people just cant answer a simple queation without have to request that the person in need have to fill out the "ask for help form"? Just answer her question(s) and not waste time.

Last edited:
The help form helps us determine if there is something wrong, instead of having to ask twenty questions.

Now, the babies are dark, and its normal. M jax babies are typically black or closets it when young.

I would not use a heat bulb at all just the uvb will be fine and about 8 inches from the basking spot is a good distance a 5.0 that is a couple months old would be best. Lots of mistings for them and instead of suplimenting them be sure to gutload thier food really really good also jacksons are not out of the water until about 4-6 months.if you decide to supliment i wolud use repashy cal plus mixed 50/50 with plain calcium and dust thier feeders once every 2 weeks imo anyway. Hope this helps you out.

for as helpul as this foum is I cant understand why people just cant answer a simple queation without have to request that the person in need have to fill out the "ask for help form"? Just answer her question(s) and not waste time.

It's how we can help more thoroughly. :) No harm intended!

Perhaps there are a few things enclosure-wise we need to take into account before we give advice. It's all in being careful and giving accurate advice.

Beautiful babes! Have not bred yet; no experience with Jackson babies. I'm sure a breeder will chime in.

Though I have heard a lot that there have been a lot of "accidents" with the female Jackson's and that they can have more than one batch of babies -- that they hold the sperm internally -- crazy! Not sure how much truth is with this, just what I have heard around.

Last edited:
For lighting I use a old UVB bulb, old because a new one is to strong for the babies. The window idea is fine but be aware the light passing through glass does not provide UVB. The size light you want depends on how far the light is from the babies. I have not raised Jackson babies but my Montana's were at about 67f. Hope that helps.

I forgot, about losing babies, there is no way to know. I always hope for zero losses and sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. Most say you are safe after 3 or 4 months, but I have a couple jackson friends who tell me 6 months

what i have read the babies are naturally dark colors at first i have not had any babies so i do not have complete experience with the babies. :) your girl looks good though mine is always black with green dots and triangles:)

Back
Top Bottom