Haleymatheney

Hi everybody! I am from a little town in Ohio and there’s really nobody around me that has a pet chameleon .. or knows anything about chameleons.. I have always been intrigued by them ever since a young age.. after a lot research, I decided to finally get one.
I now have a 5-6 month old male Veiled Chameleon named Arthur. I guess I just need some opinions on how he’s looking and if what I am doing is okay... I have put so much into the little fella and I just want the best for him always.
- Arthur has a 5ft by 2ft hand built enclosure and he also has a free range enclosure right above that by my window sill. Lately, (probably the past 2 months) he has been spending 100% of his time free ranging. It has made him a lot less aggressive .. He stays in the same general area and a seems to really enjoy it. I’ll post a picture below.
- Arthur has a small misting system that goes off every hour for 60 seconds. He also is hand misted about 2 -3 times a day.. he also has a dripper that I let run every couple of days.
- his basking area is anywhere from 75-80 degrees.
-diet :i mainly feed him around 10-15 crickets a day sometimesI throw in a few Dubai roaches, super worms, wax worms, or even a horn worm form time to time- and I try to consistently incorporate something different weekly. He also does eat bananas, strawberries, and blueberries from time to time.
- he has a uvb light as well and his food gets dusted with calcium - and I sprinkle on the calcium with the d3 1-2 times a month.
- this past week I felt as if my little guys eyes were sunken in.. he doesn’t act weird or anything ... his poop looks normal. I think I might be freaking out.. there’s no chameleon vets around here and I guess I just need some advice.. does he look okay? should I be doing something else !! Is he big enough for his age? Should I be feeding him more.. Thank you guys! Pictures: the first two pics are today.
DF3987B3-2CCD-4C58-907E-CBB569B50168.jpeg
0E6A3B06-F895-4D58-885F-93568625C806.jpeg
A6931060-9BC2-4F81-B5BA-BE13C38F1E15.jpeg
F043B829-0375-4A24-BC39-58C682ACAA8A.jpeg
35EEE25F-4D72-4A30-94F1-250CA17101F5.jpeg

When my chams get angry their eyes sink In....it sounds like you are doing very well, your cham has access to fresh running water should be hydrated enough.. I'm sure a veiled expert will chime in..I don't keep veilds

When my chams get angry their eyes sink In....it sounds like you are doing very well, your cham has access to fresh running water should be hydrated enough.. I'm sure a veiled expert will chime in..I don't keep veilds
Ahhh thank you so much for the reply! I was scared nobody was going to answer me.. I’m all new to this.. I’ve always wanted to be a part of the forum but was too scared to sign up. Thank you again- I appreciate your advice dearly ! :)

Lets start by saying your doing fine. Minor notes below...

- Arthur has a small misting system that goes off every hour for 60 seconds. He also is hand misted about 2 -3 times a day.. he also has a dripper that I let run every couple of days.
Way too often for the misting, 2-3 2min sessions a day are plenty
- his basking area is anywhere from 75-80 degrees.
should be closer to 90f.
-diet :i mainly feed him around 10-15 crickets a day sometimesI throw in a few Dubai roaches, super worms, wax worms, or even a horn worm form time to time- and I try to consistently incorporate something different weekly. He also does eat bananas, strawberries, and blueberries from time to time
Volume of food is fine for this age but im concerned about quality. What are they gutloaded with and do you use a multivitamin?

Id also like to see better pics of his actual viv and uvb set up.

should be closer to 90f.

Volume of food is fine for this age but im concerned about quality. What are they gutloaded with and do you use a multivitamin?

should be closer to 90f.

I attached some pictures of my lighting set up- I took those last night. Should I get another uvb light to add to this? Just so it covers the length of the free range enclosure ? He usually sticks around under it but sometimes he travels over to the left which is not hit by the UVB light. Thank you for all of the advice - I am noting and taking all of the corrections! I have only gotten him gut loaded crickets a few times ... from joshsfrogs. They don’t offer gutloaded at my pet store .. so I should probably start ordering them online from now on... I also posted a picture of him from last night below - he is around 6 months... I guess I just feel like he is not on track growth wise. Again, thank you for the advice I need every bit I can get!

Attachments

• 97C9408B-7379-4D99-9F25-3335C521CDF9.jpeg
    97C9408B-7379-4D99-9F25-3335C521CDF9.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 79
  • C61F35C8-4C48-4CCA-9818-5A268F25CE45.jpeg
    C61F35C8-4C48-4CCA-9818-5A268F25CE45.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 1F20E174-F5BC-4CC7-BB7D-87E5AE7867F2.jpeg
    1F20E174-F5BC-4CC7-BB7D-87E5AE7867F2.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 70
I attached some pictures of my lighting set up- I took those last night. Should I get another uvb light to add to this? Just so it covers the length of the free range enclosure ? He usually sticks around under it but sometimes he travels over to the left which is not hit by the UVB light. Thank you for all of the advice - I am noting and taking all of the corrections! I have only gotten him gut loaded crickets a few times ... from joshsfrogs. They don’t offer gutloaded at my pet store .. so I should probably start ordering them online from now on... I also posted a picture of him from last night below - he is around 6 months... I guess I just feel like he is not on track growth wise. Again, thank you for the advice I need every bit I can get!
I do not use a multi vitamin ? I guess I have just always sprinkled the calcium on and then the calcium with d3 twice a month. Is there a certain kind of multivitamin that is recommended ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 91
If this were my setup, id ditch that uvb and buy a single 48" fixture and adjust his free range so he is forced to stay under it. Free range setups are difficult to tune, even for experienced keepers. You can not buy pre-gutloaded feeders, not possible. He may be marketing them that way but I assure you they are not. By the time you get them their guts have been emptied and the load lost. You must gutload them yourself, dust, and feed off quickly. preferably within an hour of loading them. Try Bug burger or Cricket crack both on amazon. Growth looks fine to me.

If this were my setup, id ditch that uvb and buy a single 48" fixture and adjust his free range so he is forced to stay under it. Free range setups are difficult to tune, even for experienced keepers. You can not buy pre-gutloaded feeders, not possible. He may be marketing them that way but I assure you they are not. By the time you get them their guts have been emptied and the load lost. You must gutload them yourself, dust, and feed off quickly. preferably within an hour of loading them. Try Bug burger or Cricket crack both on amazon. Growth looks fine to me.
Taking notes - thank you SO much for the advice. Will be switching some things out. I feel so much better now :)

Back
Top Bottom