ashley_krynicky

Hey guys I am new to the world of chameleons. I've been obsessed for years and am finally getting one. I was wondering what brands of supplies like heat lamps, vines etc. Also do I need a night basking lamp if my bedroom doesn't get colder than 62 degrees. Also what wattage for the heat lamp is best. I want to make sure that I have everything perfect before I bring home my new best friend. Thanks.

Oh P.S. I'm looking at male veiled or panther chameleons. Thanks.

Here's a peek at what u could get

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 124
Hey guys I am new to the world of chameleons. I've been obsessed for years and am finally getting one. I was wondering what brands of supplies like heat lamps, vines etc. Also do I need a night basking lamp if my bedroom doesn't get colder than 62 degrees. Also what wattage for the heat lamp is best. I want to make sure that I have everything perfect before I bring home my new best friend. Thanks.

Welcome the forum. I did a lot of research as well before buying my chameleons. I believe most of my supplies are zoo med and flukers and few others that I cannot remember at the moment. Night lights are not recommended and they sleep in cooler conditions as long as it doesn't drop under 60° you shouldn't need an extra heat source. I believe the wattage depends on the needs of the specific chameleon and I started with the lowest wattage and monitored what made ideal temps for my little one.

Welcome, Ashley! I'm a panther person myself, so I can't help but recommend them. My first chameleon was a male panther. Veiled chameleons are also recommended for beginners. This is a picture of my male and my profile pic is my female. Males are recommended for first time owners because females require certain conditions to lay their infertile eggs.

sauron.jpg

Welcome, Ashley! I'm a panther person myself, so I can't help but recommend them. My first chameleon was a male panther. Veiled chameleons are also recommended for beginners. This is a picture of my male and my profile pic is my female. Males are recommended for first time owners because females require certain conditions to lay their infertile eggs.

View attachment 148410
Wow he's a beauty blue bar I assume

Ok now let me ask this... I know that in general chameleons are not super into being handled but which type is most friendly and handleable?

That is tough question, I believe that it may be more about each chameleons own personality but I have heard some people say that veileds are a little better about being handled often but I don't think there are any chameleons that prefer to be handled more than others.

welcome to the forums!
for supplies i have mostly flukers and zoo med stuff for my cham (if you need any specific product names let me know).
you should not need another lamp in the nighttime. chameleons actually benefit from 10-15 degree temperature drops at night. i think it helps them digest or something like that :p.
as for the heat bulb wattage it depends on the species and age of your chameleon. you need to find a bulb that will provide you with the right temperature in your chameleon's cage. most keepers use normal household bulbs instead of specialized reptile basking bulbs because they do the same job for less money.
i personally have a 5 month old veiled chameleon.... getting jealous because of the gorgeous panthers that have been posted :LOL:.
if you are looking for a good starter chameleon i would say that male veiled is the way to go. they are a bit easier to care for in the sense that they can tolerate temperature and humidity fluctuations a bit better. if you think you have done enough research and can take on a panther i would say go for it! they are more expensive but the colors seem truly rewarding.

Ok now let me ask this... I know that in general chameleons are not super into being handled but which type is most friendly and handleable?

i think that it really depends on the individual chameleon. in general chameleons aren't really sociable animals but i have definitely seen some very friendly chameleons. if you start off right then you might be able to at least get your chameleon to be tolerant of you. nevertheless all chams have their own unique personalities and it's such a fun and rewarding experience to learn about them.

best of luck with your new cham! feel free to ask any other questions!

Back
Top Bottom