Newbie - Setup Advice

RevAnton

Hi Guys,

I am collecting my first veiled chameleon next weekend and have ordered everything I need to make his enclosure a good home for him which I will be setting up this weekend to make sure everything is OK for him to go straight into when I get him:), But I was just wondering if there is any advice anyone could give me on positioning things in his cage. Such as lighting and thermostat probes etc?

I have been keeping snakes for a few years but am not sure if the same sort of rules apply when housing chams?

As I say I am a complete newbie so please don't cut me down if these seem like stupid questions?

Thanks

Ant

Well for stuff thats not in the 100's of faq's:

Setup the cage so all the leaves are on the edge of the cage, and all the sticks cross the center of the cage. This gives the cham privacy and keeps the humidity up, while giving him plenty of room to stretch, and the leaves dont block the uv lamp.

lighting you want a reptisun 5.0 if its in the cage or a 10.0 if its over the screen. If you have the money you can go with the new Arcadia bulbs from lightyourreptiles.

You should have a probe and hydrometer in the middle of the cage, and also a probe directly under the heat lamp. Your goal is at least a 10 degree gradient from the top of the cage to the bottom, and 5 degree perk right at the heat lamp. The heat lamp should be around 95f, if you want to dial it in, a llittle lower or not at all if its a female/baby.

The rest of the info should be in the faq's.

I have everything I need coming today so will set up after work and post pictures for any tips anyone can give me

Possibly another stupid question........ But where would you place the thermostat probe in a screen cage that is 46 x 46 x 92cm?

Collected my little guy today and I couldn't be more happy with him!!!

ChameleonViv.jpg

Chameleon.jpg

Any suggestions on what else I need for his enclosure?

Thanks

Ant

Agreed on the foilage! A nice, tall potted plant in the middle. A horizontal vine or branch about 8 inches below your basking light also.

Adorable little chameleon you've got there!

Agreed on the foilage! A nice, tall potted plant in the middle. A horizontal vine or branch about 8 inches below your basking light also.

Agree - way more leaves (a live plant would be best) and branches of varying thicknesses (different diametres exercise the feet differently) including some horizontal.

I know that there is a little debate on this subject, but I would get rid of the mulch at the bottom. I tried moss for my original enclosure, and my veiled Zaphod was happy to eat it! He also did have a tough time passing it!:( I was lucky to not have a serious problem! Definitely a lot of vines and some foliage to help make him feel secure. Also, because he is so small, you may want to have his feeding cup at a higher point in the enclosure. Not sure if he travels throughout the entire cage. He's adorable and best of luck!:)

I know that there is a little debate on this subject, but I would get rid of the mulch at the bottom. I tried moss for my original enclosure, and my veiled Zaphod was happy to eat it! He also did have a tough time passing it!:( I was lucky to not have a serious problem! Definitely a lot of vines and some foliage to help make him feel secure. Also, because he is so small, you may want to have his feeding cup at a higher point in the enclosure. Not sure if he travels throughout the entire cage. He's adorable and best of luck!:)

Yes definitely take out the substrate, especially with such a little baby. They can eat it and become impacted. Use paper towels or nothing at all. It is also much easier to clean and keep him healthy.

Thanks guys I will grab a plant today after work! And get rid of the substrate!

Thanks for all your help, this forum is a lot better than others I use, people seem to want to help you not just make you feel like a complete idiot because your asking simple questions!

Enclosure update, any other suggestions please let me know, Substrate is gone and have added more vines and a Prayer Plant (checked this plant was ok for chams before purchasing).

CashsHouse.jpg

Much better with vines near the top. Plant looks great in there! I used some smaller diameter vines and wrapped them around the larger ones just to make it a little more realistic for my guy

IMG_0950.jpg

Also, if there is no vine at the basking area, make sure to put one across at a slight angle so he can choose the right spot!

Also, if there is no vine at the basking area, make sure to put one across at a slight angle so he can choose the right spot!

I agree- but take it even further and provide several branches at different distances from the basking light, but still within the warmed area.

Chameleons like to warm up and cool down by moving a little closer and a little farther from the basking area. As opposed to moving into a single hot spot on a single branch and away to a cool spot- hot and cold need to be available as a gradient over many usable surfaces (like branches), and not merely 2 locations- on a single branch beneath the spot or away from the spot.

Back
Top Bottom