Newbie questions

Mel

I'm completely new to chameleons and at that I have a Senegal. Well he seems to be coming along now. I am wondering about the misting. He doesn't seem to like it. Presently I am doing it 3 times a day and giving him fresh drip as well.
1-How much misting is necessary?
2-Do you have to spray him directly?
3-How much food per day?
4-I have covered the bottom with plants. There is one large ficus for him to hang out on and a large branch that goes diagonal across. Does he need vertical limbs?
5-Is it possible to provide too many plants that might interfere with the hunt?
6-Oh yes what about the drainage system as I am going to need it unless I have been doing too much water. Is it economical to make it or just purchase it?
7-What about the timed misters I have seen mentioned? If you use that do you still need the drip and vice versa?

We are going to be working on the cage again this weekend. Thanks for your patience and help. Mel

You need to provide him with 3-4 hours of drinking oportunities. This will necesitate 4-5 20-minute misting sessions. It also depends on how high the humidity levels are in your area. I live in a high desert, so i am pouring A LOT of water into my enclosure. A drainage system is more than necesary. Whether you build it or buy it depends on your enclosure and its size. The upside of building your own is you can customize it to yur personal needs. I like to go buy some VERY cheep yard furniture. You know, the ones for little kids that are all plastic. Cut a hole in the bottom of your Cage for water to drain out of and then cut a hole in the plastic table. Get a grate/ drain cover (like in your shower) and then put it in the hole in the bottom of your cage. glue a larger diamater piece of PVC pipe over the grate on the underside of the cage to direct it to a bucket of some sort.

A dripping system will continue to offer drinking. And also, don't forget you need to keep the humidity relatively high (50+%) so there is some more water.

Thanks Brian for the tips. My husband and I are going to work on the drainage system this weekend. I'm going to ck into an automatic misting system since it sounds like my measly 3 times a day isn't getting it. LOL!

Anybody else on my other questions? Thanks, Mel

Going to pet store for supplies...what about

the timed misters I have seen mentioned? Is it specifically for pets? If you use that do you still need the drip and vice versa?
Thanks!

Howdy Mel,

The ProMist and Rainmaker I mist hardware is sold by online businesses that are catering to the reptile world. The pumps are not specifically mfgrd for reptiles but are also not readily available from the industrial mfgrs that supply the businesses that sell them to us. They are. however, often custom assembled by the mfgr to the suppliers spec to meet the needs of our community.

Promist System Rocks!!

At least the promist system's tubing and joints have been tested under high heat situations where the garden variety tubing and joints are made for regular outside temps. I actually have placed 1 spray nozzle not 4" from the bulb which is on 10-12 hours a day and the tubing did not spring a least for 8 months.

(I intentionally placed this nozzle there as an experiment, because the pro-mist people said it was tested for these conditions, and always being the skeptic, decided to try it out on my own.)

Needless to say I was impressed.

Additionally, it is totally quiet except the sound of rain coming from the nozzle. It can run dry without burning out the motor. I can use whatever I want as a water resevoir. (I use a construction bucket-see in my gallery)

The timer that came with it allows me to leave my cage for the weekend without worrying that Manga got misted appropriately. Someone will just give him superworms or crickets on one of those days. (I leave him extra on Sat so I don't have to come in Sunday.)

It's about double what I would have paid to make my own, but I didn't have to mess around with it and muck it up...

I have enjoyed it so much that I have purchased a solonoid from them to attach to the line to go to my crested cage (much smaller cage that needs less misting). It is hooked up to the same pump but with a different timer to allow misting for only 1 minute intervals 3 times a day. I believe I could hook up as many as 50 spray nozzles. ( I do not need this, but its cool to talk about at parties......okay, I go to lame parties.)

Anyway, I'm a big pro-mist fan.(I get no kickbacks.) You will have to ask the others what they think about the rainmaker and the others as comparision. Here is a website that goes over make-your-own, or comparisons of the ones out there. Also here is the website for promist.

http://www.chameleonsdish.com/hydration/wateringsystems.htm
http://www.pro-products.com/index.html
If you are thinking about promist, I highly recommend calling them and talking to them personally. Ask them what you need. They are pretty much straight shooters.

Good luck,
Matthew

the timed misters I have seen mentioned? Is it specifically for pets? If you use that do you still need the drip and vice versa?
Howdy Mel,

I forgot to answer the 2nd half of your question :eek:. Although many keepers will use a mist system and a dripper together, there are those of us who find that running a mister alone, twice a day for 20 minutes seems to keep our critters well-hydrated. You may find that if you live in a climate that is dry (<20%) you may need both. My room humidity currently runs around 50%-60%.

At least the promist system's tubing and joints have been tested under high heat situations where the garden variety tubing and joints are made for regular outside temps. I actually have placed 1 spray nozzle not 4" from the bulb which is on 10-12 hours a day and the tubing did not spring a least for 8 months.

(I intentionally placed this nozzle there as an experiment, because the pro-mist people said it was tested for these conditions, and always being the skeptic, decided to try it out on my own.)

Needless to say I was impressed.

Additionally, it is totally quiet except the sound of rain coming from the nozzle. It can run dry without burning out the motor. I can use whatever I want as a water resevoir. (I use a construction bucket-see in my gallery)

The timer that came with it allows me to leave my cage for the weekend without worrying that Manga got misted appropriately. Someone will just give him superworms or crickets on one of those days. (I leave him extra on Sat so I don't have to come in Sunday.)

It's about double what I would have paid to make my own, but I didn't have to mess around with it and muck it up...

I have enjoyed it so much that I have purchased a solonoid from them to attach to the line to go to my crested cage (much smaller cage that needs less misting). It is hooked up to the same pump but with a different timer to allow misting for only 1 minute intervals 3 times a day. I believe I could hook up as many as 50 spray nozzles. ( I do not need this, but its cool to talk about at parties......okay, I go to lame parties.)

Anyway, I'm a big pro-mist fan.(I get no kickbacks.) You will have to ask the others what they think about the rainmaker and the others as comparision. Here is a website that goes over make-your-own, or comparisons of the ones out there. Also here is the website for promist.

http://www.chameleonsdish.com/hydration/wateringsystems.htm
http://www.pro-products.com/index.html
If you are thinking about promist, I highly recommend calling them and talking to them personally. Ask them what you need. They are pretty much straight shooters.

Good luck,
Matthew

My main questions relates to how you install it. You just kind of line the top of your enclosure with these heads, and then they mist 3 times a day?

wouldnt it be better to do more 15-30 sec intervals throughout the day?

anyways, looks really cool! i'll probobally get one soon!

A prolonged mist encourages them to clean their eyes which, if you have been reading other threads, is very important. These animals are very susceptible to eye infections. and a 15 or 20 second mist will not be enough to prompt them to clean, no matter how many times a day.
Additionally, it is extremely important that the enclosure COMPLETELY dry out between mistings and too frequent mistings would not allow this.

-Brad

so if im just using a spray bottle, then what is the best way to accomplish all of this? what are the less expensive systems? in a month or so i can afford one of those pro-spray systems, but i need something to hold me over. Antonia is doing well though ( i decided to name her after my grandma ). she is healthy and eating well, however i havent actually seen her drink.

what are your thoughts on this?

thanks all!

-Marc

I use one of those pump misters from Home Depot.
The ones people use to spray insecticides etc.
Cost about 7 to 10 dollars and they work quite well.
You have to do it manually but it's much easier than a spray bottle.
Use warm water!

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom