Newbie in need of advice

Banny1987

Hi all, been in the reptile game a while now got two Beardes a leopard gecko, boas n loads a inverts! Ive finally got the funds to get myself my first cham ? I've found a nice 3x3x2 wooden viv would that be suitable or should I be going like a exo terra style? Also I really want a panther rather than a veiled but are they harder to care for there just so much colour to them! Is there a list anywhere on here of lighting and other things I will need? Tia much appreciated so for all the questions I jus want to get it right first time ?

Chameleons need height over length or width. So a 3x3x2 might be a little short for a panther. Most people use screen enclosures 2x2x4 and some use glass like the 36x18x36 Exoterra. Screen is best if you live in high humidity environments and glass is best if you live in a dry and arid climate. Depending on how deep your pockets are Dragonstrand makes an excellent hybrid enclosure made just for chameleon keeping. There are a few subtle differences in care between a Veild and a Panther. But not enough to say one's easier to care for than the other. I prefer Panthers but I did own a Veild at one time.

T5HO is considered the chameleon standard. ZooMed and Arcadia both make quality ballasts. I'd recommend a 5.0 ZooMed or a 6% Arcadia bulb with a Panther or a Veild. ZooMed bulbs last 6 months Arcadia last 12 months. You'll also need a basking bulb. Any incandescent white bulb will work. You may have to experiment with different wattage to get your basking temps just right however. If you have live plants, which I strongly recommend with any chameleon species, you'll also want a 6500k plant bulb or a LED spotlight. If you use a dual T5HO for your UVB and plant light and it only has a single reflector you'll want to get a 10.0 or a 12% UVB bulb instead. If each bulb has its own reflector you're fine with a 5.0 or 6%.

Males are the colorful ones and live longer. Which also makes them more expensive.

Chameleons need height over length or width. So a 3x3x2 might be a little short for a panther. Most people use screen enclosures 2x2x4 and some use glass like the 36x18x36 Exoterra. Screen is best if you live in high humidity environments and glass is best if you live in a dry and arid climate. Depending on how deep your pockets are Dragonstrand makes an excellent hybrid enclosure made just for chameleon keeping. There are a few subtle differences in care between a Veild and a Panther. But not enough to say one's easier to care for than the other. I prefer Panthers but I did own a Veild at one time.

T5HO is considered the chameleon standard. ZooMed and Arcadia both make quality ballasts. I'd recommend a 5.0 ZooMed or a 6% Arcadia bulb with a Panther or a Veild. ZooMed bulbs last 6 months Arcadia last 12 months. You'll also need a basking bulb. Any incandescent white bulb will work. You may have to experiment with different wattage to get your basking temps just right however. If you have live plants, which I strongly recommend with any chameleon species, you'll also want a 6500k plant bulb or a LED spotlight. If you use a dual T5HO for your UVB and plant light and it only has a single reflector you'll want to get a 10.0 or a 12% UVB bulb instead. If each bulb has its own reflector you're fine with a 5.0 or 6%.

Males are the colorful ones and live longer. Which also makes them more expensive.
I only have a couple things to add, Make sure that your Chamaeleon is always 6 to 8 inches away from his basking bulb as he will burn easily. Additionally, the humidity in his terrarium needs to stay around 65%. You can maintain this by using an automatic misting system (mist king is gold standard) placing lots of spag moss on his vines, and using live plants in his cage instead of artificial. Misting system should turn on three times a day for two minute intervals. You want to use a screen enclosure, covering three sides with transparent shower liner (medium not heavy). 100 watt incandescent household bulbs work best for heating, Avoid mercury vapor bulbs, the rays are too extreme for Panthers. You don’t need substrate the bottom of the cage, I use brown towels that I swap out and clean every few days. Hornworms, dubias, and silkworms are the best feeders. Do yourself a favor and buy an ambilobe panther if you are looking for color and personality.

Sorry the viv is 3 foot high 3 foot wide 2 foot depth my bad is it still a no go? I live UK think my humidity is around 45/50 at a rough guess ?Is there a site you guys use I could order the gear from that isn't going to absolutely rinse me? ? Thanks for all info

That’ll work, just make sure to maintain humidity and proper basking temperature (Remember to always keep Him 6 inches away from the heat bulb). I order most of my stuff off of Amazon, Cheapest option so far. You’re going to want that automatic misting system, especially if you’re planning on getting a panther instead of a veiled/ Jackson’s. It’s a bit spendy but totally worth the investment. You don’t have to worry about skipping watering or dehydration. Just make sure to use a Black, 5 gallon bucket when you’re creating your water reservoir for the misting system. You’re also going to need reptile timing strips for lighting. If you can have technology regulate the lighting and watering cycles, owning a chameleon is actually pretty easy. Make sure that you have a small tree that your cham can free roam on outdoors, under your supervision of course

Back
Top Bottom