Newbie here; Hello all!

Arpretty

Avid Member
Hi! I just created my profile, and this is basically the information on my profile page. Thought I would introduce myself and say hello. First, my name is Alyssa. Nice to meet you all.

I am a brand new chameleon parent. But, have no fear, I have owned and cared for many animals and have worked in pet care.

I acquired my 2 year old veiled male in June 2018. I named him Spyro (like Spyro the Dragon).

*Let's be honest, I am a newbie, but a dedicated learner. Please help nicely!

I had told a friend of mine that I was looking into getting geckos. Having a freshwater aquarium (serpae and black skirt tetras) and crabitat (hermit crabs), I was excited to get into the world of reptiles as well. My friend told me she knew someone who was looking to rehome their chameleon. I said, sign me up - I'm close with a couple who has a chameleon, so I'll have help!

Turns out this poor guy was living in a very neglectful situation with people who were not interested in doing any type of research or caring for him appropriately. At this point in time, I'm on a mission to nurse him to health and help him live a more natural, low-stress life.

-I've uploaded a picture here, and being brand new - I hope I've done it correctly. The first picture is the evening I got him. When I received him, he was shriveled, brown, deathly skinny, and had one small fake plant in his cage along with a water bowl, and a lamp with dead bulbs. Out of respect for privacy, I've declined to post any pictures of him or his enclosure prior to setting up what I have for him now.

-The second image is day 2
-The third image is an action shot on day 2

Attachments

• Spyro4.jpg
    Spyro4.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Spyro2.jpg
    Spyro2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 123
  • Spyro3.png
    Spyro3.png
    944.6 KB · Views: 100
Welcome to the forums, it’s a great place.
Spyro is one lovely little boy and he’s lucky to of found you after living under those conditions, it’s an inspiring story.
I have veiled and various others plus hermit crabs too.
Congratulations on getting your new buddy.

Hi! I just created my profile, and this is basically the information on my profile page. Thought I would introduce myself and say hello. First, my name is Alyssa. Nice to meet you all.

I am a brand new chameleon parent. But, have no fear, I have owned and cared for many animals and have worked in pet care.

I acquired my 2 year old veiled male in June 2018. I named him Spyro (like Spyro the Dragon).

*Let's be honest, I am a newbie, but a dedicated learner. Please help nicely!

I had told a friend of mine that I was looking into getting geckos. Having a freshwater aquarium (serpae and black skirt tetras) and crabitat (hermit crabs), I was excited to get into the world of reptiles as well. My friend told me she knew someone who was looking to rehome their chameleon. I said, sign me up - I'm close with a couple who has a chameleon, so I'll have help!

Turns out this poor guy was living in a very neglectful situation with people who were not interested in doing any type of research or caring for him appropriately. At this point in time, I'm on a mission to nurse him to health and help him live a more natural, low-stress life.

-I've uploaded a picture here, and being brand new - I hope I've done it correctly. The first picture is the evening I got him. When I received him, he was shriveled, brown, deathly skinny, and had one small fake plant in his cage along with a water bowl, and a lamp with dead bulbs. Out of respect for privacy, I've declined to post any pictures of him or his enclosure prior to setting up what I have for him now.

-The second image is day 2
-The third image is an action shot on day 2
nice having you on the forums. great work on saving him! glad to know someone cares about that charming lad!
curly.

Welcome aboard. Spyro looks like a cool little dude. You should lose the water bowl since chameleons are supposed to drink "rain" droplets (courtesy of mistings and a dripper) off of the leaves in his enclosure. I've heard from multiple experts on the forums that bacteria can form in the water bowl and harm chams as well.

Welcome Alyssa! I LOVE the name Spyro. Why didn't I think of that!? I wish you luck on your boy's road to recovery, by the sounds of his old place it may be a tricky journey. Glad he has you now!

Hi, thanks! The bowl down there is actually just to catch the residual drips from his water dripper that I have on top of the cage. Otherwise everything gets soaked! I empty it and wipe it out each day :)

Lol thank you! Spyro was my favorite video game growing up so for some reason I just couldn’t resist. You’re right, I’m thinking we may have some bumps along the road given his past. But thankfully I now have you guys, and my friends who are dedicated to their chameleon. Hoping for the best. He’s so much fun.

Back
Top Bottom