Newb question- time change?

JenMae40

Safe to assume that I want to keep my Cham’s light and misting schedule the same, ignoring the games we play with our clocks?

I personally change mine with the time change. I change it because the natural light comes through the window earlier in the summer and I also work super early in the summer.

others may have different opinions on what to do. I think it’s just a personal choice more or less.

I change mine as well, and second the opinion of mirroring the sun. My reptile room has a window and I keep the shades open for my little ones :) It may take them a week to adjust but they will do so just fine. If you are concerned you could always make the adjustments over a 4-day stretch, changing the times by 15 minutes a day, but I'm a little too lazy for that.

Thanks! I didn’t even think of it until I heard the mister go off this morning. Lights are on a smart trigger, but I have to change mister clock manually. I’ll go ahead and adjust it.

We don't change our timers (lights & mister). The way we (humans) express time may change, but the Sun doesn't actually come up/go down an hour earlier/later. Lights keep turning on/off at the same time (from the lizards' POV), but the timers read an hour off. We just don't look at the timers. :p

It catches up again in November. ;)

Got a citation? I'd like to read about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

the article you linked explains it as does the quote you inserted.

yes daylight saving time is not used near the equator because the light times don’t change enough(usually around 12hrs) The further north or south you go the amount of daylight does change.

for example if you got to Fairbanks Alaska in June you will have 23+ hrs of sunlight. If you go in December you will have 4-5 hrs of sunlight.

Last edited:
An even more extreme example is barrow Alaska. They have 67 days of straight darkness in the winter and 80 days of total sunlight in the summer.

I do not change mine... But I also have heavy drapes on the windows so it does not matter what it is doing outside because inside they still think it is dark. I wait to open the drapes once their lights have started to kick on. I have mine on 7:30am-7pm

Last edited:
the article you linked explains it as does the quote you inserted.

yes daylight saving time is not used near the equator because the light times don’t change enough(usually around 12hrs) The further north or south you go the amount of daylight does change.

for example if you got to Fairbanks Alaska in June you will have 23+ hrs of sunlight. If you go in December you will have 4-5 hrs of sunlight.
Sorry, I'm not following. I'll try again another day (rockin' a L7 migraine today) 🤕

Back
Top Bottom