Newb ? How to feed Chams

rmhawk

I have been doing lots of research on owning a chameleon. One thing i noted that wasnt talked about much was the process of feeding. I saw one forum talk about a feeder cup to feed a cham, but that seems odd and no fun. For natural feeding, do you just load the crickets 24 hours prior to feeding, then put 8-10 crickets in the cage and let the cham just go to town? How do you do it?

How do you ensure the cham will eat all the crickets? What if he/she doesnt eat them all?

Also to add to this, how do you guys feed them additional meals such as worms or flies? Do you put these in a bowl?

Please let me know. Thanks

You can cup feed or allow them to free range in the cage. What kind of chameleon are you thinking about buying?

For natural feeding, do you just load the crickets 24 hours prior to feeding, then put 8-10 crickets in the cage and let the cham just go to town? How do you do it?

How do you ensure the cham will eat all the crickets? What if he/she doesnt eat them all?

Also to add to this, how do you guys feed them additional meals such as worms or flies? Do you put these in a bowl?

Please let me know. Thanks

I individually free range each feeder (crickets, roaches, worms). Using tongs or my hand, I place a feeder on a vine or screen. I normally make sure the chameleon is watching me so that he sees the bug when I place it. When feeding crickets, I always de-leg them and I feed one at a time. I have never been comfortable with allowing multiple crickets to sit in the cage throughout the day, mainly because I do not want them biting my chameleon (which they will do).

I have never been comfortable with allowing multiple crickets to sit in the cage throughout the day, mainly because I do not want them biting my chameleon (which they will do).

That was one concern.

And de-leg them, wont the cricket just fall to the bottom of the cage (if you were to set it on a branch or something)?

That was one concern.

And de-leg them, wont the cricket just fall to the bottom of the cage (if you were to set it on a branch or something)?

I only mean the two hindlegs. I leave the remaining limbs which are very small and still allow the chameleon to climb perfectly, but at a slower pace (and it prevents them from jumping).

I just let the crickets and flies rome free, worms place them on the vines they will eat them as long as its a big enough cage I dont think they will bite your cham (at least none that ive seen) I put in at least 20-30 crickets a day in her cage and she eats them up quick and she loves them worms :D

Back
Top Bottom