New

krissybbz

Hello Everyone

I'm new here. Kindly advise, we found this little guy/girl and decided to keep him. I'm totally clueless when it comes to this. Could anyone advise me on the type of lizard or chameleon this is please? And what would be best for him/her?

Attachments

• IMG_20221026_093331_resized_20221027_020737274.jpg
    IMG_20221026_093331_resized_20221027_020737274.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi and welcome. :) Yes, that is a chameleon, but I’ve no idea what type which will help to determine specifics about care. Where did you find it?
There are some things that are basic for all captive chameleons. They need uvb. The standard is a linear T5HO fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb. They also need a heat source for which we need to provide a basking light. This is a simple (usually a dome) fixture with an incandescent or halogen bulb. They need a large and tall enclosure. For most chameleons the minimum is 2x2x4’. The enclosure needs lots of safe live plants and lots of branches and vines. You want to simulate a tree basically. Supplements are another essential part of care. A phosphorus free calcium without D3 is usually used for all/most feedings and then a multivitamin and calcium with D3 are used each once or twice a month, depending on species.
Then of course you’ll need to spray the leaves of the plants for about 2 minutes, twice a day to provide drinking water. Chameleons do not drink from bowls, but rather lap up water off leaves. Chameleons only eat live insects. In order for the insects to be nutritious, you need to keep them well fed. Attaching graphics for you. Very important is the size of the feeder needs to be smaller than the space between the eyes. It’s very easy to overfeed, which can lead to problems - obesity for all and producing too many eggs for females. Generally for adults giving 3-4 appropriately sized feeders every other day or 3 days a week is more than enough. Yes, even if a female hasn’t even seen a male she will produce and lay eggs every few months. Of course if not mated they will be infertile. I have no idea if you have a female or not. As you’ve found this animal, a veterinary exam and fecal check for parasites really should be done. Specifics as to ideal temperature, humidity level and other items are species specific and so I can’t help with that. Perhaps @kinyonga can.
Chameleons are not inexpensive animals to get set up for and keep properly. Nor are they easy to care for. If all of their needs are not met, they quickly become I’ll and die, often with little to no warning. If you are somewhere in the world where this chameleon is native, you may want to release it back where you found it. If you choose to keep it, we’ll help all we can. :)
D83A3A0E-AE38-4B8B-BE5E-BF48A19B34AE.jpeg
C2DCDEDE-BFE2-4C42-9BA3-B18F59A2CFA0.jpeg

Hi and welcome. :) Yes, that is a chameleon, but I’ve no idea what type which will help to determine specifics about care. Where did you find it?
There are some things that are basic for all captive chameleons. They need uvb. The standard is a linear T5HO fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb. They also need a heat source for which we need to provide a basking light. This is a simple (usually a dome) fixture with an incandescent or halogen bulb. They need a large and tall enclosure. For most chameleons the minimum is 2x2x4’. The enclosure needs lots of safe live plants and lots of branches and vines. You want to simulate a tree basically. Supplements are another essential part of care. A phosphorus free calcium without D3 is usually used for all/most feedings and then a multivitamin and calcium with D3 are used each once or twice a month, depending on species.
Then of course you’ll need to spray the leaves of the plants for about 2 minutes, twice a day to provide drinking water. Chameleons do not drink from bowls, but rather lap up water off leaves. Chameleons only eat live insects. In order for the insects to be nutritious, you need to keep them well fed. Attaching graphics for you. Very important is the size of the feeder needs to be smaller than the space between the eyes. It’s very easy to overfeed, which can lead to problems - obesity for all and producing too many eggs for females. Generally for adults giving 3-4 appropriately sized feeders every other day or 3 days a week is more than enough. Yes, even if a female hasn’t even seen a male she will produce and lay eggs every few months. Of course if not mated they will be infertile. I have no idea if you have a female or not. As you’ve found this animal, a veterinary exam and fecal check for parasites really should be done. Specifics as to ideal temperature, humidity level and other items are species specific and so I can’t help with that. Perhaps @kinyonga can.
Chameleons are not inexpensive animals to get set up for and keep properly. Nor are they easy to care for. If all of their needs are not met, they quickly become I’ll and die, often with little to no warning. If you are somewhere in the world where this chameleon is native, you may want to release it back where you found it. If you choose to keep it, we’ll help all we can. :)
View attachment 330745View attachment 330746
wow thank you so much for all the info. I'm from South Africa, George in the Western Cape ( also known as the garden route) shame we found him laying on the ground close to our office after a heavy storm that we had so we decided to keep him and the kids love him so we really want to give him a proper home and take care of him as best as we can so all the advice is most def helpful :) at the moment we are feeding him live crickets which we got from a pet shop, giving him lots of water and they gave us some soil as well as a glass enclosure but we need a bulb asap. we have plants in their for him, he seems content but I'm not sure.

Welcome!!! You have a cutie there! I’m not an expert, just a part of the welcoming crew.😂 everyone is great and will do what they can to get you on your way to enjoying life with a cham if you decide to keep it. They do cause a lot of worry, stress, and financial heartache but in the end it’s all worth it to watch them and enjoy their presence.

Welcome!!! You have a cutie there! I’m not an expert, just a part of the welcoming crew.😂 everyone is great and will do what they can to get you on your way to enjoying life with a cham if you decide to keep it. They do cause a lot of worry, stress, and financial heartache but in the end it’s all worth it to watch them and enjoy their presence.
Don´t be ashamed to spam with pics of him/her.....we don´t see them that much;)
will do :) I've done some research and some say they are illegal to keep?

Heard such stories before.....you could make something in your garden to keep him/her freely there ;)
We got members here, that did the same, I believe someone from Cyprus, of they know they´ll fed in your garden, they sometimes stay there.
thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom