New

pr0phet

Hey there,

Open to any and all criticism. My names Nick, after watching a video on chameleons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV1lCwPGg6k) I was referred to this website.

I recently bought an 8 month old veiled chameleon. I don't have the dimensions yet but will have them very soon, Ill add a picture. The guy in the video said don't purchase a chameleon on spontaneity, well I did. I have a friend that is well versed with reptiles but after reading and so forth raising a chameleon is different than some other reptiles.

Essentially, I have a dripper, heat bulb, uvb bulb, crickets, and the flukers high calcium powered for the crickets. A few things for him to climb about in, that the previous owner had given me. I am basically reaching out to anybody that can offer me advise to make this little guy the happiest he can be in a two bedroom apartment. I have enough room for his cage etc..I just want to know of anything that I can do to progress his happiness.

If anybody can assist me I would appreciate it. I found the store on here that sells books so I am already in the works of getting a couple.

Thanks a bunch in advance, I'll be checking the forums daily.

-Nick

Baby Veileds - Care

Hi,

I have 5 veileds that are about 6 months old now and I acquired them when they were about two weeks old. All are fine. Which is a small miracle in itself.

1. Read all the books. Carefully consider what they say.

2. Understand that all veileds are little terrorists (consider where on the planet they come from). They display stress signs simply because they know you exist and worry about them.

3. They like a basking spot but more than anything they need daily fluctuation in temperature so either get a very big enclosure with only one place for basking or shut off the heating lamp at night. In fact, do both.

4. Handle them for just a couple minutes a few times a week. Veileds will never really bond with you but they may stop trying to kill you if you do this (remember, they're terrorists).

Attached are a couple of pictures of Jack Jr. You'll notice he hasn't missed any meals.:):)

Attachments

• Jack Jr. 2.17.13.jpg
    Jack Jr. 2.17.13.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Jack Jr. Tempest in a Teapot (1).jpg
    Jack Jr. Tempest in a Teapot (1).jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Jack Jr. Tempest in a Teapot (2).jpg
    Jack Jr. Tempest in a Teapot (2).jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 142
Hi,

I have 5 veileds that are about 6 months old now and I acquired them when they were about two weeks old. All are fine. Which is a small miracle in itself.

Attached are a couple of pictures of Jack Jr. You'll notice he hasn't missed any meals.:):)

Hi Chamalot,

I hate to point that out, but Jack Jr. seems to have double joint on his front legs as well as wavy rare leg, which is a very strong indication of MBD. How do you supplement you little guys? and have they been getting proper UVB lighting since they were small?

Kind regards,
JUlija

Hey ph0phet and welcome to the forums! :)

It's great that you found this place and also kudos to you for trying to do the best for you chameleon :)

You might want to consider filling out the https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ form. Try giving as detailed information as possible. Experienced members can then have a look at it and tell you if there is anything to be improved in you husbandry ;)

Cheers,
JUlija

Mbd

Hi Julia,

Thanks for the heads up. The guys get calcium and gut loaded bugs, crickets, worms, dubia.

They also have their own UVB unit set up.

What are your specific recommendations?

Is a double joint a fatal problem?

Thanks.

So how do you know when their stressed?

Also, at night I have to turn off both the lights?

I will jump in if you don't mind :)

Yes, at night you need to turn off both lights (also no infrared lamps and such), they need complete darkness to sleep and get proper rest, much like us, humans ;) You should keep a schedule of approximately 12h/12h - light/darkness. I do gradually increase it to 14h day/10h night in summer.

In regards to stress - it does take time and experience to be able to notice some of the subtle signs, that is one of the reasons why chameleons are harder to keep than most other reptiles. The obvious stress signs include very dark colors combined with deflating of the body and trying to look very thin, the opposite expression of stress/aggression is inflating, showing very bright and sharp colors with dark spots all over the body (especially if we are talking veiled chameleons), hissing and gaping. Also, hiding in the background all the time, refusing food, not drinking, sitting all the time in one spot could be signs of stress (as well as illness).

I hope other members can add on signs of stress that I have not immediately thought of.

JUlija

Hi Julia,

Thanks for the heads up. The guys get calcium and gut loaded bugs, crickets, worms, dubia.

Thanks.

Chamalot,

a double joint means bone fractions/broken bones/bent bones, which come from insufficient calcium uptake, which can happen due to many reasons. It is not a fatal problem, but it is for sure not nice for your chameleon and it can not be reversed, only stopped at the stage it is in now. The problem is that calcium is used not only for bones but also for other bodily processes, like proper muscle functioning, breathing, etc. If you don't address the issue, it will progress, get increasingly worse and you will eventually loose your chameleon.

Here is a great sticky about Metabolic Bone Disease, written by a moderator and a vet that we are so lucky to have on the forums: https://www.chameleonforums.com/wha...ase-mbd-looks-like-how-happens-how-fix-95071/ I strongly suggest you read it, there is a lot of good info there, I wouldn't be able to describe it better. At this point I would advise a trip to the vet for a check-up and an X-ray to determine the extent of the damage to his bones, checking your UVB source to be sure it is sufficient and switching to liquid calcium drops, or possibly even calcium gluconate injections (those will be prescribed and administered by the vet if need be).

Also, you mentioned that you have several baby veileds. How do the others look and behave? Sometimes even with all the proper care provided, MBD will happen to single individuals and then they just need heavier supplementation and special care. However if you see this with more than one of chameleons in your care, it means that you need to have a closer look at your husbandry.

Regards,
JUlija

New (Help Form)

Chameleon Info

Rango :) (kids picked it)

The species: Veil
The sex: Unknown (male?)
The age: 8 months
Care length: 3 days

Handling time: Need recommendations

Feeding
Food: Crickets
Food amount: previous owner said 12 a day. (advise?)
Schedule: Need Recommendations
Gut Load: Need Recommendations (Kale, lettuce?)

Supplements
Calcium Brand: Flukers
Vitamins: Need Recommendations (multi-vitamin reptivite?)
Schedule: Calcium every other feed, vitamin once a month?

Watering
Techniques: I've read they can't see a bowl so, drip on the leaves for them to drink.
Mist: I was told twice a day for a couple minutes. Mist the cage, foliage, and Rango himself.
Drinking Habits: I have seen him drink a only once.

Fecal Description

Fecal color: He hasn't pooped much since I got him but, its rather brown with a soft texture.
Tested: No idea, How would I go about this?
History: I have none that was passed to me.

Cage Info:

Cage Type
I will provide a picture.

Lighting
Heat lamp: No idea on brand.
Calcium light: UVB Reptile light, brand is Zoo Med

Temperature: Need Recommendations.

Humidity: Need Recommendations

Plants: Need Recommendations

Placement: Rango is away from any and all fans, my ac is pointed towards the complete opposite direction on the other side of the room.
His locations is a rather traffic area, he is against the wall a couple feet from my couch. Its only me and my kids here so, we pass by him frequently, meaning every time I get up.

Attachments

• IMAG0992.jpg
    IMAG0992.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG0991.jpg
    IMAG0991.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMAG0968.jpg
    IMAG0968.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG0969.jpg
    IMAG0969.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0972.jpg
    IMAG0972.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 104
Male veiled chameleons have spurs on the back of their foot like this:
male.gif

If it doesn't, you may have a female. It also looks really small and skinny for 8 months.

So I just turned off both lights, and will be turning them on at 6 am to 6 pm every day for a 12h/12h day n night cycle.

I learned to feed them 10-12 every other day and in the morning so that will be happening.

I will be getting some plants and a temp/humidity temp to keep an eye.

I learned to mist the cage 2 times a day to completely dry, and that it makes the little guy want to drink more and adds to humidity.

I believe its actually a she because she doesn't have the marks on the feet.

I will also be raising her a few more feet to be above eye level.

If you have anything to add let me know I would greatly appreciate it. My plan is to open a thread and show you guys her progress every month or week or so just to get some feedback on how she looks.

Thanks a bunch,

Nick

Hello and welcome! Looks like you got all the good info you need already. She does look a little on the skinny side, but I am sure with the proper care you can change that in no time.

Hi Julia,

Thanks.

Chamalot, I hate to say this also, but the female in the last pic also appears to have slight mbd in her front legs. Her leg is too curvy between the wrist and elbow. It should be straight.

Last edited:
I hate to say this also, but the female in the last pic also appears to have slight mbd in her front legs. Her leg is too curvy between the wrist and elbow. It should be straight.

Are you talking about mine?

If so, how do I go about fixing this?

Ok cool lol, wasn't made just scared. I would never get offended at someone telling me of potential dangers hehe.

I had attached the other members quote, so I thought you could see it was directed at him. I also went in and edited my post and put his name so there is no confusion! Sorry to freak you out momentarily!!!

Please be aware that the females can lay eggs without having been mated. It's important that she has a suitable place in the cage to dig in to show you when she is ready to lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom