New veiled

mr2fast

Hey guys I am a newer Chameleon owner. I have a 4 month old veiled, This is my first Chameleon I have owned but I am having a lot of fun with her.

Any suggestions for me that first time owners usually get wrong?

Hello and welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. I keep veileds. I have a little family, Luie, Camille and their baby daughter Elly. I have a couple blogs I'll link to you below. The first one is for new keepers and the second for females. If you have any questions after reading the blogs just ask.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html#comment656

I bought her from a local pet store about 3 months ago when she was just as big as little finger. She is has a 50w heat bulp and a reptiglo 5.0. At night I give her a black light night light to keep her warmer cause I live in Indiana and It gets a little cold at night at my place. She has fake plants, a waterfall in the bottom of her tank. yes she is in a tank right now and I need to change that soon. I was kinda lazy and put her in my old beardies tank when she was little but now that she is getting bigger and will be able to find her food easier I will get her a larger cage. I feed her crickets, about 10 a day. Dust them with calcium about 2x per month. I try to take her out and hold her every night but it seems more like every other day lately.

I have a huge problem putting her back in her cage after I am holding her. She just wants to stay on my hand, any reasons?

I love veileds. I keep three and I don't want to see anything happen to your little girl. Please take the time to read the blogs and fill out the Ask For Help form so that you can keep this little girl healthy. Her temps need to be in the very low 80's at her basking spot. Is your reptiglo 5.0 a tube or coil bulb? What kind of supplements are you using? You need three kinds of supplements and twice a month is not enough. How do you gut load? Are you misting her and have a dripper? Normally a light is not needed at night. They need a temp drop at night and unless it's cooler than 65 she'll be fine. She really needs a screen cage and waterfalls harbor bacteria and not recommended for chameleons. Has she has a check up and fecal lately? It's common for bearded's to have some coccidia and if you didn't do a very thorough cleaning of the tank she could have picked up the coccidia.

I love veileds. I keep three and I don't want to see anything happen to your little girl. Please take the time to read the blogs and fill out the Ask For Help form so that you can keep this little girl healthy. Her temps need to be in the very low 80's at her basking spot. Is your reptiglo 5.0 a tube or coil bulb? What kind of supplements are you using? You need three kinds of supplements and twice a month is not enough. How do you gut load? Are you misting her and have a dripper? Normally a light is not needed at night. They need a temp drop at night and unless it's cooler than 65 she'll be fine. She really needs a screen cage and waterfalls harbor bacteria and not recommended for chameleons. Has she has a check up and fecal lately? It's common for bearded's to have some coccidia and if you didn't do a very thorough cleaning of the tank she could have picked up the coccidia.

Thanks for the insight. Im dusting her crickets with the Flukers Calcium D3 and phosherus free supplement, feeding the crickets the Orange cubes and high cal cricket diet as well as putting a piece of toilet paper soaked in water in the cricket keeper to keep the crickets hydrated.
Her basking spot is 87 on the vine and then works its way down as you get away from the lamp. I did that so she can adjust her temp from 87-79 depending on where in the tank she goes. I mist her 3 times a day M,N,E as well as mist the whole tank very well. I had a dripper in there but she wont touch it. When I spray the tank every day at lunch she will lick the leaves real good to get some water. She doesnt seem to drink in the morning or at night though. Is this normal? I know the light is not normally needed but my air in my apt is terrible and it will sometimes get below 65 at night. She sleeps right under the black light at night and it is on the other side of her basking spot. Before I brought her home I did a very good cleaning of the tank with bleach to ensure she would not catch anything from the beardie. I know that beardies are kinda dirty lizards.

With that said what are your suggested changes

Thanks for the insight. Im dusting her crickets with the Flukers Calcium D3 and phosherus free supplement, feeding the crickets the Orange cubes and high cal cricket diet as well as putting a piece of toilet paper soaked in water in the cricket keeper to keep the crickets hydrated.
Her basking spot is 87 on the vine and then works its way down as you get away from the lamp. I did that so she can adjust her temp from 87-79 depending on where in the tank she goes. I mist her 3 times a day M,N,E as well as mist the whole tank very well. I had a dripper in there but she wont touch it. When I spray the tank every day at lunch she will lick the leaves real good to get some water. She doesnt seem to drink in the morning or at night though. Is this normal? I know the light is not normally needed but my air in my apt is terrible and it will sometimes get below 65 at night. She sleeps right under the black light at night and it is on the other side of her basking spot. Before I brought her home I did a very good cleaning of the tank with bleach to ensure she would not catch anything from the beardie. I know that beardies are kinda dirty lizards.

With that said what are your suggested changes

The feeders have to be "lightly" dusted with 3 kinds of supplements. Plain calcium (no d3) at just about every feeding...... if you skip one or two days a month that's ok. Calcium with d3 twice a month and a multi. vit. once a month. In this link I use the 13th, 15th and 17th one. http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...d-cage-cleaners/reptile-calcium-and-vitamins/

You need to gut load the feeders with greens they are excellent. You can use collard greens, kale, bell pepper, carrots, butternut squash apple and orange. You can also buy a premixed dry gut load. My vet makes one that I use and one of the Forums members sales it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/dry-gutload-sale-37717/

A female will probably never need a basking light. I use a double fixture with one UVB bulb and one regular fluorescent bulb and that works perfect. A female needs a basking spot of 80 to 82 her entire life unless you breed then you could up it a bit...83 or 84......you'll still want a small clutch. If your house is really cold you might need a 15 or 25 watt basking bulb for a female. What are you using to check the temps?

This blog is VERY IMPORTANT for keeping a female:http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Jann, Thank you for all your detailed information. As a new Cham owner I know I still have a lot to learn.

I do have one question, I read that if they get white crusties around their nose they are getting too much calcium diet. My cham will get that from time to time and I only dust them every couple weeks. What else could that be?

I will start to dust her crickets every day and get some veggies for the crickets. Should I continue to feed the crickets the "Orange Cubes" and Hi Cal cricket diet?

I am reading the temps with 2 on the side temp gauges. They are the nicer ones and not just the ones that come as a starter pack. One of this is on her basking spot about 87 and the other is on the other side of the cage towards the bottom. I will change the basking lamp for a reg bulb to bring the temps down for her a little.

I am not planning on breeding her but what is the age they usually have to lay eggs? I just get a 5 gal bucket with play sand in it and put her in there for like an hour a day correct?

There has been much discussion on here on the white stuff that comes out of chameleon's noses and it is said to be believed that it is not a calcium overload but salts and minerals they are secreting through their nostrils. If you are only dusting every couple of weeks, then case in point here. I would just go with the fresh fruits and vegetables and you could keep the flukers cubes for hydration but after that use oranges instead. They can lay eggs as early as 6 months or so. You have come to the right place to get everything right! Welcome to the forums!!!

They can lay eggs and even die from egg laying problems as young as 5 months. After 5 months old you should keep a laying bin available for her at all times.

Jann, Thank you for all your detailed information. As a new Cham owner I know I still have a lot to learn.

I do have one question, I read that if they get white crusties around their nose they are getting too much calcium diet. My cham will get that from time to time and I only dust them every couple weeks. What else could that be?

I will start to dust her crickets every day and get some veggies for the crickets. Should I continue to feed the crickets the "Orange Cubes" and Hi Cal cricket diet?

I am reading the temps with 2 on the side temp gauges. They are the nicer ones and not just the ones that come as a starter pack. One of this is on her basking spot about 87 and the other is on the other side of the cage towards the bottom. I will change the basking lamp for a reg bulb to bring the temps down for her a little.

I am not planning on breeding her but what is the age they usually have to lay eggs? I just get a 5 gal bucket with play sand in it and put her in there for like an hour a day correct?

There has been much discussion on here on the white stuff that comes out of chameleon's noses and it is said to be believed that it is not a calcium overload but salts and minerals they are secreting through their nostrils. If you are only dusting every couple of weeks, then case in point here. I would just go with the fresh fruits and vegetables and you could keep the flukers cubes for hydration but after that use oranges instead. They can lay eggs as early as 6 months or so. You have come to the right place to get everything right! Welcome to the forums!!!

Thanks everyone, Carol I love the color of your Cham

Regarding the nostrils...

I noticed when I used to over supplement, I would have the white flaky things near the nostrils...

As soon as I changed her VIT schedule... went away, and hasnt been back...

If my mom feeds my cham... she sometimes over does the dusting... and I will notice the flakes are back...

If that isnt over supplementation coming out of there then IDK what is... I dont think that the answer of the white being excreted salt is wrong... however It is possible for it to be supplementation.

Back
Top Bottom