New veiled stopped eating

CLP

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male veiled approx 4 months old. Purchased 3 days ago.
Handling - No handling yet
Feeding - Mostly crickets so far until I can order some other kinds. Has also had 1 mealworm. Gutloaded crickets with mixed grains, Flukers high calcium water gel, assorted veggies and fruit.
Supplements - Have Repashy calcium plus D3, Repashy multi vit and Exo terra calcium - no vit D. So far have dusted once with multi vit and twice with plain calcium
Watering - Spraying only. Am going to try homemade drip tomorrow in addition to spraying. Saw him take a couple of licks yesterday.
Fecal Description - Have not found any yet

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Exo Terra 18 x 18 x 24 until I build him a bigger one.
Lighting - Reptiglo 5.0 UVB fluorescent tube (brand new) + fluorescent full spectrum tube + incandescent basking spot
Temperature - basking temp approx 85, lowest temp on cage floor approx 74. Nightime to about 68
Humidity - 50-80% depending on how recently the tank has been sprayed. Currently spray 2x daily.
Plants - Live plants - pothos, umbrella plant, dwarf palm
Placement - On top of an armoire. Top of cage approx. 7 feet off the ground. Cage is in the bedroom - not a lot of traffic
Location - Canada

Current Problem - On his first day home, Monty ate 5 small crickets with gusto. The next day, I had to get to work, so didn't have a lot of time to feed. I dumped 10 crickets in his cage. He immediately came down and ate 4 right away. I had to leave, so didn't see any other feeding. When I got home, I noticed at least 4 crickets sill wandering around in the cage. I grabbed one and held it out to him and he ate it. This morning, I put 4 more in. I did not have a lot of time to watch, but he did not eat any. I thought he just hadn't warmed up yet because I had only had the lights on for about 15 minutes. When I got home from work, there were a lot of crickets still wandering around. I'm pretty sure he didn't eat any. I did heavy spraying, he smacked him lips a few times, but did not drink. I watched him for some time. He notices the crickets, but shows no interest in them. One walked right past him and he didn't do a thing. Is he OK? Is it normal for a chameleon his age to not want to eat?

I am not expert but this normal behavior for a Chameleon that just has be purchased some dont even eat for a week it just takes time for him to get used to his new cage and to see you don't worry he can go a week or more without eating easily so don't worry he will come around just keep feeding him everyday he will eat :)

He could be getting adjusted to the new enclosure as well as the surroundings. Give it time try feeding him everyday all you can do until he/she starts eating.

Really worried now!

He's still not eating. I found a white poop. I'm really worried though. When I came home he was sitting on his branch with his eyes half closed and a dark brown color (photo attached). Is he cold? His cage is only in the high 70's with a basking spot in the low 80's. He is also blinking and it almost seems like his eyes get stuck shut for a few seconds. He squeezes his eyes shut, they stay closed for a couple seconds and then open again. Also, I've noticed him stretch a couple of times - like a cat or dog does when the wake up. I'm going out now to get a slightly stronger light for his basking spot. PLEASE, do you think he's sick?

Attachments

• DSCF0436.jpg
    DSCF0436.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 118
i dont think hes sick he's just getting used to his new enclosure if he eats out of your hand try that again as he will gain your trust and feel more comfortable around you thus, making him less stressed, thus increasing his appetite. (I love saying "thus" lol) :D

sticky eyes...

I am really new at veiled cham but from what i have been hearing sticky eyes is not good nor is half way open eyes. i am still learning but i ask ALOT of questions. lol good luck w the lil guy!!:)

From the pic your cage looks like its glass, is it? If it is he could be stressing himself out with his reflection in the glass. That may also be why the coloration is dark.

Back
Top Bottom