New Veiled Staying Dark, Please Help!

Curly_Cham

We brought home a new Veiled cham last night, he's about 3 to 4 months old. Yesterday he was bright green and looking happy but since I woke him up this morning he's been between a dark green to brown color all day. He moves around and chases crickets, though I'm not sure if he's eaten any.

He's in a 18 x 18 x 36 screen enclosure.
His enclosure is in the living room.
Basking temps are between 80 and 85
The humidity stays between 40 and 55. Right after a misting it will stay in the higher of these for about an hour the rest of the time it wants to be round 40.
We have a little dripper that we leave on for about 20 to 25 minutes at a time 3 times a day. I didn't see him drink this morning.
We don't have any other pets at this time but have had geckos in the past.

I've added two photos. we will be adding some sticks to the enclosure this afternoon.

Questions:
1. Is it normal for him to be so dark?
2. What are the best ways to keep the humidity up in the enclosure? Should I move him to a glass one?
3. Should we put him in his "own room" away from us until he gets used to his cage?

Attachments

• cage.jpeg
    cage.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 111
  • lights.jpeg
    lights.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 89
Its really nothing to worry about. He is most likely getting used to his new surroundings. Live plants can help with humidity and running a dripper also.

Congrats, enclosure looks pretty good, adding more plants and more climbing area will help him to relax and calm down. Remember to check your temps around the cage, this will help him to relax more as well, so he can thermoregulate. Remember also, in a few months he’s gonna outgrow that enclosure.

Once you get more sticks you should center the heat/UV lamp to the center of the cage top so the UVs can reach the whole cage and not just one area(y)
A really good way to help keep in some of the humidity is to buy a plastic shower curtain and then cut it to fit 2-3 sides of your cage(on the outside.) I have a jungle themed one on 3 of the sides of my cage and it works perfectly. It doesn't over do the humidity it just helps maintain it longer between mistings. Before I had the shower curtain the humidity would escape through the screen sides within 20 mins. I'm not sure what UV bulb you have but Reptisun makes really good UV bulbs, they sell them at petco and petsmart.

Congrats, enclosure looks pretty good, adding more plants and more climbing area will help him to relax and calm down. Remember to check your temps around the cage, this will help him to relax more as well, so he can thermoregulate. Remember also, in a few months he’s gonna outgrow that enclosure.
I have plans to change it out in a few months to a more custom "forever" one and also create a free range area for him once he's big enough. For now though I want to make him comfortable in what he has.

Back
Top Bottom