New Veiled Owner

Johnny5958

Hey everyone, after years of being fascinated about chameleons I finally have one. Before bringing him home I did a bunch of reading on veiled's. Through the readings and conversations with pet store staff I found that there is a lot of contradictory information out there, and then I found this forum.
So my first question........ What is the best set up/care for a baby veiled? I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada so it gets cold and I was told that a glass exo-terra set up would be best because of the cold.

The pet store said that he was 4 months old when I got him. Is there any way to guess their age?

Any information that could be passed on would be appreciated. I want to make sure that I am doing all that I can to keep "Spazz" as happy and healthy as possible! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357609259.349074.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357609279.562784.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357609292.962458.jpg

I think that your chameleon is around the same age as mine, just by looking at him. I don't think a glass enclosure would be a good idea, but if he were younger, maybe. At least two sides of the enclosure should be mesh, honestly, otherwise he won't get enough ventilation.

Did you get him from a breeder or a warehouse store? (It doesn't look like he had MBD, but I'm no expert.)

Anyway, I've only had my cham for about three weeks. I'd wait for someone more experienced to reply.

Good luck! (Also, Spazz is VERY cute)

First welcome to the forum :) your set up looks nice. if you could make the leaves on the side more over the middle so that he has places to hide in the center of the cage would be awesome. and whay arie your temps on the cage along with thte humidity? Also what is the average temp of your house? Could you take more picturea with him on your fingure? Usually the size can hell determan age.

Hello, welcome to the forum :) Everyone will tell you to get rid of your waterfall, he will most likely use it for a toilet and crickets seem to like drowning so it will quickly become very unhealthy to drink out of, unless you clean it thoroughly every day. I can tell you from experience that it's more trouble than it's worth even if your boy doesn't get sick :)
From the pictures I would have guessed around 3 months old, but they grow at differing rates and it depends how much food he managed to get hold of as well.
Here is a great basic caresheet I recommend to all people with Veileds - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

Yes, I agree with David. I don't think he's older than 3 months. About the size my guy was when I got him at 3 months. I also agree that you need to lose the waterfall. Crickets do seem to have a death wish and drowning seems to be the method of choice :D

I don't agree that the exo terra tanks are unsuitable re: airflow. People in Europe have been using them successfully for a long time. The design of these tanks creates a chimney effect drawing air from the vent below the doors up and out the top. This is what they were designed for.

I would also say more plants in the middle if possible. And as a fellow Canadian (eh!), you are likely to struggle with humidity, even in the exo terra tank. Some live plants (I think your are all plastic?), will help with that. Also, once you get the misting and the water dripper going, then you have drainage issues. I know one of the members here puts a small rainforest under tank heater on the bottom of theirs, which evaporates the water on the bottom, thereby increasing the humidity. This would also increase your airflow, adding the the chimney effect. Just make sure whatever your solution, you don't end up with a pool of water at the bottom of the tank.

I think a few more branches for him to climb on would help too. Getting them in a good position in an exo terra is not always easy. Someone on this forum mentioned that they suspend them from the top of the tanks.

Finally, given his current size compared to the size of his enclosure, you need to be sure he is able to find his food. Cup feeding would work best if he'll do it. That way you can also keep track of how much he's eating. I have 3 veileds. Two took to it with no problems, the other one simply refuses.

Read the caresheet David gave you the link to. Follow the recommendations on there re: heat, humidity, feeding and supplements, and you should be fine.

Good luck!

I love your budda statue. As the others have said though loose the water feature (or don't turn it on and your littles one can still clamber over it) more real plants and plenty of branches or vines. It's looking good though.
Afraid I can't help you with the age though!
Hope he settles in quickly. X

Ha spazz is a great name for a veiled he is a cute little fella.I can tell you that glass enclosures are grand.the Exo terras are designed with a vent in the front that's up to the job.I use one myself I keep the door open when I'm there aswell.the only set back with glass is pull have to keep a close eye on humidity,clean the tank floor every night and gel outgrow it fairly quick.is also cover the glass sides because they don't understand glass and it could stress him pawing against it trying to get to something he sees on the outside
Also I had a waterfall too there just a bad idea.set up a dripper instead and hell be fine

Congrats on your new boy! He's cute! I'm pretty to new to the cham world too, but after much reading, my biggest note would be making sure to clean out the bottom of the cage since the lack of drainage and ventilation can really encourage the growth of mold and bacteria.

Also, don't forget a varied diet of insects and varied gutloading diet for the insects :)

Cheers!

Congrats on the cham. If I were you I would just get rid of the glass cage there more work then needed and having a chameleons is enough stress in it's self......and some real plants, also a mister of some sort.....other then that your good.:D.....oh and like the others said the water needs to go to. :( though it looks cool

Congrats on the cham. If I were you I would just get rid of the glass cage there more work then needed and having a chameleons is enough stress in it's self......and some real plants, also a mister of some sort.....other then that your good.:D.....oh and like the others said the water needs to go to. :( though it looks cool

Just to reiterate what babyjoe said, the current enclosure is fine for him for now, while he's still very small. This kind of glass viv is designed with good enough ventilation.

Hey,

I have been using the exo terra glass tanks to keep my chameleon and it works fine ! Just remember to open the glass doors and let in some fresh air once in a while.

The tank is too big for him and he might have some trouble finding his prey, you should try to cup feed him or install a 'cricket run'. Just youtube it and you will know what I am talking about.

Probably some more wines and further away from the bottom. Also needs more places to hide.

I don't have an experience with waterfalls but they might keep you keep up humidity levels and you can install a fogger in it.

Aww your chameleon is so cute! I'm getting myself a baby veiled chameleon next week. I'm very excited. I like your set up but I agree with David. Try to get rid of the waterfall. It looks great and all but the food might go in it and your chameleon might probably use it as a toilet and that's not the best thing. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Thank you all for your help. I have started looking for a drip system, and unfortunately I have not been able to find one here in Edmonton as of yet. Does anyone have any ideas or techinques for getting a cham to eat from the hand or cup feeding? Spazz does go hunting for his crickets but I am not a huge fan of just releasing some in his home and hope he finds them. For those that have chams that like to be misted you are lucky, Spazz hates when I mist his home.

Youngsters usually don't like being misted. They seem to prefer to drink in private. A dripper is a good idea for this reason. Have you tried getting a jug or plastic bottle and putting a hole in it with a needle?
Free dripper! Make the hole bigger till you get 1 or 2 drips per second.
If you are using a trigger sprayer you could buy a pressure pump sprayer, which is easier for you and the chams seem to prefer it.

If you can't find a "real" dripper, you can just use a cup with a very small hole poked in it. Not fancy, and can take some fiddling to get it to drip at the desired rate - I went through 3-4 disposable plastic cups before I got it "right", but it does work in a pinch.

As for the spraying, my guy hated it when I first got him around the same age as yours. He's now 7 months and is just starting to enjoy it - but only sometimes :rolleyes:

As for the hand and cup feeding. Just give it time. Put some crickets or other feeder in a cup for him each day and he will likely adapt eventually. Just make sure he's getting enough and if that mean free-ranging for now, that's just what you'll have to do. My guy took to cup feeding right away, but my girl that I've had for 2 weeks now wants nothing to do with it. They're all individuals, but I feel your pain. I really wish she would cup feed. Much easier to make sure they're eating!

What's the drainage system like for this tank? You want to make sure he gets plenty of water and that there isn't any water pooling at the bottom that might get bacterial growth and cause a respiratory infection. Getting the drainage system right was one if the most difficult this for me. If you have any trouble ask around and I'm sure a lot of people will share their ideas with you

I also noticed from self experience that if you have any bushy plants on the bottom/floor of your cage in the way that you do then all the crickets will hide under/behind them and your chameleon will never find them. I would suggest hanging them horizontally rather then vertically to make more climbing material for your baby chameleon

Back
Top Bottom