New veiled chameleon.

Does anyone know if I should still be feeding her right now if she is about to lay or what?
Yes you keep feeding her on the correct schedule. with the correct supplementation. When she goes to lay you will not disturb her until she is done and comes back up... At that point you give her a long misting session and feed her again with the correct supplementation.

Did you read through all the feedback here https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-veiled-chameleon.180174/post-1629835

And did you start reading through this husbandry program yet so you know how to set up a cage for her? https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Should I be worried that she hasn’t eaten yet? She has only been with me for about three days now but if she has to lay I am not sure if it will have an impact on her.

Should I be worried that she hasn’t eaten yet? She has only been with me for about three days now but if she has to lay I am not sure if it will have an impact on her.
She is stressed... This is normal after a move... And not trying to be rude to your friend that gave her to you but they did not have the right set up for her... So basically your having to start from scratch and provide her with all the correct things.

Make sure the distance to her basking branch below the UVB is 8-9 inches. You want this distance so she gets the right UVB exposure. Otherwise your going to try not to change much of anything with this enclosure. More stress is harmful. Especially if she is about to lay.

My female hasnt eaten at all this week because she is about to lay. That is totally normal. I offer her food, and dust them with her supplements still, but when she doesnt eat them I take them back out...or leave them a couple days.

Yeah I just added a bunch of sanitized branches, the lay bin, took out the fountain, more vines, and I will take out the carpet once she is more comfortable with me handling her so she can have like a big cleaning.

Ok so I have three more questions. If I am feeding her 3 large feeders three days a week (like @MissSkittles said) how would the supplements work? And my other question was, Do I have to change out the sand and soil mix after she has layed her eggs? And how often will she lay?

Ok so I have three more questions. If I am feeding her 3 large feeders three days a week (like @MissSkittles said) how would the supplements work? And my other question was, Do I have to change out the sand and soil mix after she has layed her eggs? And how often will she lay?
You’ll dust 2 feedings with calcium without D3 and then one feeding with either your multivitamin or calcium with D3.
You can use the same sand as long as it’s clean (no poop in it). I believe they can lay every 3-4 months, however with feeding limited amounts and keeping temps no higher than 80, that should eventually be decreased. In the past year, each of my girls has laid only once. Their weights are going up and I suspect they may be getting ready to lay again.

You’ll dust 2 feedings with calcium without D3 and then one feeding with either your multivitamin or calcium with D3.
You can use the same sand as long as it’s clean (no poop in it). I believe they can lay every 3-4 months, however with feeding limited amounts and keeping temps no higher than 80, that should eventually be decreased. In the past year, each of my girls has laid only once. Their weights are going up and I suspect they may be getting ready to lay again.
Do you think she is getting ready to lay? She hasn’t found the lay bin yet and I am scared that she will get egg bound.

Do you think she is getting ready to lay? She hasn’t found the lay bin yet and I am scared that she will get egg bound.
Make sure you have branches or vines for her to get in/out of the bin. When she is needing it, she’ll find it. Once she enters and starts digging, it’s super important that you give her total privacy or she may stop. I use an old lightweight cotton sheet to cover just the visible parts of the enclosure (usually just the bottom half) and I make small holes so I can peek in without her seeing to make sure she’s ok.

Does this look better? 8DBD5D3B-B138-4F0F-94CA-E6FDD1210B19.jpeg F8A9B999-BE58-4C95-AD1B-543FF6BA84A5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom