New Veiled Chameleon Owner, Please Help

thegreatmoose02

Hello! I just stumbled across this website and thought I'd give posting a shot. Yesterday I got my 2 month old Veiled Chameleon. He seems to be adjusting well and staying up at the top of the cage so he can bask. However, I'm worried about him eating. I got some small crickets and put calcium dust on them and then released them into the enclosure, but it is very hard to keep up with how much he's eating using that method. He doesnt like eating or drinking infront of people so I cant be in the room. I know how often chameleons are unintentionally mistreated and I'm trying very hard to not be just another ignorant person who doesnt give their pet a good life. Any suggestions on how I could be sure he's eating enough? I have attached some photos of my enclosure set up, please feel free to give me criticism on that as well. I will take any and all advice.

P.S - His name is Ichabod. Named after the main character from Sleepy Hollow

Attachments

• IMG_4075.jpg
    IMG_4075.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4076.jpg
    IMG_4076.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 58
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. So besides not having live plants for cover the main issue I see is the UVB lighting. They need the T5HO fixture and the 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb for it. THe screw in bulbs are not the right type. Depending on what you purchased it could be far too strong or far too weak.

Start reading everything here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
It will walk you through entire set up and needs. Ask your questions here in the forum.

Welcome to the forum! You’re in great hands here! I got a full throttle feeding cup for my little one but frams chams has nice ones available last I read. They are helpful in keeping critters in one location. In addition to having a better idea of how much your baby is eating, this also helps avoid your Cham being bitten while sleeping from random crickets bothering it.
Beman and the other experienced keepers are truly the best so take her advice, read the academy and ask any questions. Oh and please, share lots of pics, we love pics! 😊

Back
Top Bottom