New Veiled Chameleon Husbandry! Would love some feedback!

Sewellau1

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled,male, about 6 months old. Had him for a week
  • Handling - I have not handled him so he can get comfortable and used to his new enclosure
  • Feeding - as of right now only crickets? about 10 a day. every day at about 9 am and then some throughout the afternoon. To gut-load i use strawberries, potatoes, and bread soaked in water
  • Supplements - I use reptical calcium without d3 every other day. Repticalcium without d3 once every two weeks
  • Watering - Misting? I mist 3 times a day by hand for about 2 minutes each time. I haven’t really seen him drink.
  • Fecal Description - His droppings are relatively big being mostly solid. on the outside it looks like the white part is very white indicates he is drinking when i am not looking. Elton has never been fecal tested ?
  • History -Bought from petsmart which i know is iffy but a man there who was his main carer is an experienced chameleon owner. Elton looks very healthy.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 16x16x30 mesh cage
  • Lighting dome lamp fixture with a 60 watt daylight bulb and a reprising 5.0 fluorescent 13 watt bulb
  • Temperature - South Alabama weather (very humid)with tons of shade and basking opportunity. His top temp stays at around 85 while the bottom of the cage stays around 70-72
  • Humidity - stays around 45-50
  • Plants - I have lots of sticks and moss I have collected and cleaned (rinsed and dried in sun) as well as a Pothos plant and some fake leaves to hide.
  • Placement - Cage is located in my room by a window which i just open the blinds during the day for more sunlight. I live in a very warm climate.
  • Location - Alabama

Current Problem - was advised to do a husbandry check. He does get stressed occasionally but other than that he is a really chill and cool guy!

C2946C75-FC8A-425B-BA2B-72F60D5BE04C.jpeg

I think you are right. I do not see any spurs. Oh well, she shall be a girl named Elton.
Well good luck to you and Elton hahahaha. Btw female chameleons can have infertile eggs and you need lay bin ready because she can die if she does not get eggs put of her. You can learn all that on the forums. Im no expert for the females cause I don’t have one.

My feedback is in bold. Let me know if you have any questions about the suggestions I made.

• Handling - I have not handled him so he can get comfortable and used to his new enclosure Good idea.
  • Feeding - as of right now only crickets? about 10 a day. every day at about 9 am and then some throughout the afternoon. To gut-load i use strawberries, potatoes, and bread soaked in water Try just feeding your cham in the morning to give them time to bask and digest. Try to diversify the bugs you are feeding by adding in roaches, worms, etc. See the video below for ideas. The gutload you have right now needs some improvement. You want to use fruits and veggies that are high in calcium and low in phosphorus like leafy greens, squash, and mango. Please watch the gutloading video.

• Supplements - I use reptical calcium without d3 every other day. Repticalcium without d3 once every two weeks These are basically the same supplements. You'll also want to pick up a multivitamin (I like Reptivite without D3) and calcium with D3

• Watering - Misting? I mist 3 times a day by hand for about 2 minutes each time. I haven’t really seen him drink.
  • Fecal Description - His droppings are relatively big being mostly solid. on the outside it looks like the white part is very white indicates he is drinking when i am not looking. Elton has never been fecal tested ?
  • History -Bought from petsmart which i know is iffy but a man there who was his main carer is an experienced chameleon owner. Elton looks very healthy.

Cage Info:

• Lighting dome lamp fixture with a 60 watt daylight bulb and a reprising 5.0 fluorescent 13 watt bulb Okay so this is a big change that needs to happen ASAP. The UVB you have right now is not sufficent for a chameleon. You need a linear T5 HO UVB. I'd recommend a Reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6%. Please watch the video for more details.

• Temperature - South Alabama weather (very humid)with tons of shade and basking opportunity. His top temp stays at around 85 while the bottom of the cage stays around 70-72 This is good.
  • Humidity - stays around 45-50 This is good.
  • Plants - I have lots of sticks and moss I have collected and cleaned (rinsed and dried in sun) as well as a Pothos plant and some fake leaves to hide.
  • Placement - Cage is located in my room by a window which i just open the blinds during the day for more sunlight. I live in a very warm climate.
  • Location - Alabama

That looks like a female to me.. Can you look for the spurs on back feet of your chameleon? If theres none its a girl.
Okay I’ll make sure to look. I
My feedback is in bold. Let me know if you have any questions about the suggestions I made.

• Handling - I have not handled him so he can get comfortable and used to his new enclosure Good idea.
  • Feeding - as of right now only crickets? about 10 a day. every day at about 9 am and then some throughout the afternoon. To gut-load i use strawberries, potatoes, and bread soaked in water Try just feeding your cham in the morning to give them time to bask and digest. Try to diversify the bugs you are feeding by adding in roaches, worms, etc. See the video below for ideas. The gutload you have right now needs some improvement. You want to use fruits and veggies that are high in calcium and low in phosphorus like leafy greens, squash, and mango. Please watch the gutloading video.

• Supplements - I use reptical calcium without d3 every other day. Repticalcium without d3 once every two weeks These are basically the same supplements. You'll also want to pick up a multivitamin (I like Reptivite without D3) and calcium with D3

Cage Info:

• Lighting dome lamp fixture with a 60 watt daylight bulb and a reprising 5.0 fluorescent 13 watt bulb Okay so this is a big change that needs to happen ASAP. The UVB you have right now is not sufficent for a chameleon. You need a linear T5 HO UVB. I'd recommend a Reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6%. Please watch the video for more details.

• Temperature - South Alabama weather (very humid)with tons of shade and basking opportunity. His top temp stays at around 85 while the bottom of the cage stays around 70-72 This is good.
  • Humidity - stays around 45-50 This is good.
  • Location - Alabama

okay perfect! Thank you so much!

Here is my enclosure after adding plants! I have added another Pothos plant and a large umbrella plant. The umbrella plant is rather large and has a large pot so would love some feedback on what to do about that. I’ll attach a pic.

MUCH better. Look at all that coverage now :)

Most of us repot our plants and make sure to wash the plants prior to putting them into enclosures:

Upgrading that UVB light needs to be the next priority.

MUCH better. Look at all that coverage now :)

Most of us repot our plants and make sure to wash the plants prior to putting them into enclosures:

Upgrading that UVB light needs to be the next priority.

I have ordered some dragon stands, but how do you put the larger Potted plants in? Right now mines just sitting in a pot in his enclosure.

I have ordered some dragon stands, but how do you put the larger Potted plants in? Right now mines just sitting in a pot in his enclosure.
Mine just chill on the bottom of enclosures. It's a good idea to have plants low and high in the enclosure. Did you order the correct UVB yet?

Back
Top Bottom