New uvb

Just installed my arcadia uvb bulb for my adult veiled cham and he was tilting also when I went to check on him a little bit later it looked like his eyes were shut any help I have it raised a little bit higher than 48 inch's from the bottom of his enclosure because he really likes to bask under his heat lamp. Is this normal?

Hi. Chams will tilt their bodies to better absorb heat/uvb. He shouldn’t be closing his eyes during the day though. Can you post some pics of your cham and enclosure, including lights?

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_131709.jpg
    IMG_20211015_131709.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20211015_131717.jpg
    IMG_20211015_131717.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20211015_131746.jpg
    IMG_20211015_131746.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 78
Has anyone mentioned that cage is way too small for an adult veiled Cham? He should have at minimum a 2x2x4. Also it should really b e up off the floor on a table or something. Chams feel safer the higher up they are. Like missskittles said they will tilt their bodies to absorb heat and uvb. He’s looking like he’s cold in these photos. What is the temp at his basking branch?

Has anyone mentioned that cage is way too small for an adult veiled Cham? He should have at minimum a 2x2x4. Also it should really b e up off the floor on a table or something. Chams feel safer the higher up they are. Like missskittles said they will tilt their bodies to absorb heat and uvb. He’s looking like he’s cold in these photos. What is the temp at his basking branch?
Yeah they've told me it's too small I'm waiting for my reptile expo so I can get a bigger cage for him. His basking branch gets to about 80°

He also looks underweight in my opinion but I could be wrong. I suggest filling out a husbandry form I will attach one

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

I see that you did have your husbandry reviewed before, but if you’d like to have it redone with any changes you’ve made, it wouldn’t hurt. :)

The uvb needs to be 8-9” above basking area, so however you need to arrange that is fine. You said basking temp is 80…males can get a bit warmer but not higher than 85. For now, I’d just correct the uvb light and figure out basking later.
I will fix all this when I get home thank you so much you've been so much help with my guy

@MissSkittles these are updated pictures does this look better?
Yes, it does. I have a question about your temp measuring now. :) You want/need to measure the temp where his basking spot is. It’s really amazing how even just an inch or so greatly reduces temps and uvb levels. For optimal uvb level of 3.0, your particular uvb needs to be 8-9” above basking area. The distance of your basking light will depend on the strength or wattage of your bulb and the distance. You want basking area to be around 80-85 for your guy, but not above 85. Hope I’m helping.

IMO, it would still be better if you could get the enclosure up off of the floor.
For that height enclosure, a 29"-36" H stand/table should get his basking site at/above eye level.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

In that pic (mod. below), what's the distance between the chameleon and the UVB?

View attachment 312556

Also, does he have more than that one branch to hide in the foliage on?
In this specific picture it's about 10 inches because he was getting ready for bed but from where he hangs out most it's about 7-1/2 inches

IMO, it would still be better if you could get the enclosure up off of the floor.
For that height enclosure, a 29"-36" H stand/table should get his basking site at/above eye level.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

In that pic (mod. below), what's the distance between the chameleon and the UVB?

View attachment 312556

Also, does he have more than that one branch to hide in the foliage on?
And yes he has a couple moss vines and about 2 other branches

Back
Top Bottom