New to this

Rastamarley#1

I recently purchased a veiled Cham. . I've been reading up and so far so good I think. I was told it's a female about three months in age. She eats very well meal worms,crickets,she'll eat no problem,not to crazy for wax worms think they might be to big for her. She loves the jade plant in her cage but will not eat any other produce. Anything else I can do to make her happy? Lots of plants,climbing areas, uvb, basking light,have a water fountain I'm thinking of taking out and just get a drip system. I mist twice a day and put ice cube on top of enclosure they drip on plants.also has a humidifier

You could make her happier if you didn't feed her the meal worms. The outer chitinous shell is hard for chameleons to digest & can cause impaction! You could try some superworms as a treat if she's big enough to eat them!

Welcome to the world of chameleons!

Do you know about supplementing and feeding/gutloading the insects properly?
What's the basking temperature? Are you aware that they can produce eggs without having mated?
Just trying to make you think about things that you might not know about that are important.

Hope you will enjoy her for many years!

Welcome to the world of chameleons!

Do you know about supplementing and feeding/gutloading the insects properly?
What's the basking temperature? Are you aware that they can produce eggs without having mated?
Just trying to make you think about things that you might not know about that are important.

Hope you will enjoy her for many years!
Yes she gets supplements and the cricket housing gets carrot and kale so far. The basking temp is around 70-80 depends on part of day she's in a bright window area also. Yep I've read about the egg laying but wasn't sure of the sex when purchased.

I would move the cage away from the window if you live in a cold area.

What specific supplements do you use and how often for each?

I live in the Mohave desert USA Las Vegas Nevada the basking area goes up in temp when I move the thermometer under it. I use zoo med repti-calcium with D3. I'll dust a few every other day and on the off days I spray with zilla vitamin supplement it has some calcium in it also. It's night time for her right now so I'm not exactly sure what the basking temp goes up to but I know it's not over 85 degrees.

Please read: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Pay special attention to the: Temperature:

Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

and Supplementation section:

Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks.

You don't want to use Calcium with D3 that often.

You said..."I live in the Mohave desert USA Las Vegas Nevada"...does it get cold in the desert ago night? You said..."the basking area goes up in temp when I move the thermometer under it"...the reading you count for the basking temperature should be the temperature where the chameleon can sit closest to the basking light. You said..."I use zoo med repti-calcium with D3. I'll dust a few every other day and on the off days I spray with zilla vitamin supplement it has some calcium in it also"...since most feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous its important to dust the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at most feedings to make up for it.. It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium / D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light. It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources of vitamin A cannot build up in the system and lead to overdoses like prEformed sources can and will leave it up to you to decide whether the chameleon needs prEformed or not. You said..."It's night time for her right now so I'm not exactly sure what the basking temp goes up to but I know it's not over 85 degrees"...you don't leave the lights on at night do you? Don't know if all of this will make her happy but it should help her be healthy.

Light goes off at night. The vitamin supplement has beta carotene in it also. The temp right now is chilly out only be for another day according to weather report. We are having winter still here. Never snows down here though only in mountains. It may get into the lower twenties tonight. Heat is on in house stays about 70-74 during day at night it lowers into the upper sixties. Soon it will be very hot here in a couple of months. Plan on making an outdoor enclosure for her during the day. Her ambient temp in her home is 77 basking temp is 86 . I did get repitcal without the d today. Cleaned out the cricket house. And added more carrot and kale for them.

When sun shines in window couple of hrs during day , the temp will go up a little more that's what I was reading a 86 at basking area. There is also shady spot for her if she doesn't want to be in sun. She roames around all day .

image.jpg

My concerns with the windows are that if the sun shines on the cage the cage could overheat during the day and have a chill in it at night which might lead to respiratory issues.

You do really need to get some more foilage and vines in the cage, that's not enough cover for the Cham. Another suggestion for food. Have you tried locusts and dubia roaches. My Cham wont eat worms of any kind, I think he enjoys the hunt ,, how often are you spraying/misting him?

Sorry I have just seen its a female and how often you mist. Are you certain she is female? Have you looked at her spurs?

Back
Top Bottom