New to the world of chameleons!

questnjurny

Hi all!

Just wanted to do a quick intro before slipping into lurk mode. I am hopefully about to become the proud owner of a veiled chameleon (if my application is approved!) and found this site while I was reading all I could about them. Thought it would be a good idea to stick around and gain all I could from all this knowledge here! The cham is in a reptile rescue, and unfortunatly not much is known about her, including age, so she could be young, could be old, who knows. She is currently in an aquarium adn will be moving into one when she comes here (see I'm really hoping I get her!) temporarily while I make a mesh cage...and there is a possibility I'll have the enclosure done by the time she arrives. I know the concerns around ventilation, humidity etc and am prepared to deal with those as long as she is in the tank which should be short term. My house is usually fairly chilly, so I think that the tank will be more consistant in heat until spring comes and I'm not dependant on wood heat which can be so variable. Anyways, we'll make it work until I can get a nice 4x2x2 enclosure done.

This is the first non-furry four legger that I'll have owned. I currently have four dogs, all Australian shepherds, 10 year old Jurny, 5 year old Argus, 8 month old Impulse and 5 month old Turner who I do various things with and show them all (or have shown, Jurny is retired) in conformation, obedience, agility, herding. I also have 4 fish tanks, 135 gallon oscar/severum tank, 90 gallon african cichlid tank, 75 gallon parrot tank and a 29 gallon community which will be a brichardi tank once the community fish succumb to old age.

We all live on Vancouver Island, BC in Port Alberni. If there's anyone from around here on the forum would love to get the inside scoop on best places for food/supplies etc.

Anyways, this girl isn't ready to go for 5-6 weeks, so I'll take that time to soak up all the info I can here!

Hi welcome to the forums! You will learn a ton here!

And she should be fine in a aquarium for a little bit. And just make sure you do your homework;) Chameleons are hard to keep but are very rewarding!

Also go to keepingchameleons.com and on the front page there is a checklist in pdf format with everything you'll need to get for your cham.

I personally do not buy things locally unless there is a great store to buy from. you can order crickets and feeders from reptilefood.com or order supplies from lllreptile.com.

It's cheaper to buy online. Take for example, a 18" exo terra UVB tube will cost between 30-40 bucks at petsmart or petco and smaller reptile shops. lllreptile.com has them for 9 - 12 bucks.

Great, thanks for those links! Off to check them out.

Is there a Canadian source that anyone knows of for feeders? That "shopping list" is perfect, simplifies everything that I've read into an easy format.

I am completely amazed at some of the stunning chams on here...I have a feeling this won't be my last cham! Absolutely amazing.

Back
Top Bottom