new to the forum

TBurt

hi i will soon be getting a veiled chameleon now that i have enough experience with reptiles and creating and maintaining temps and humidity however i need some questions answered before i can get a chameleon
first of all the lighting can i use a exo terra solar glo or a powersun or do i need more than one bulb also what kind of money am i looking at for feeding a adult veiled chameleon every week

hi i will soon be getting a veiled chameleon now that i have enough experience with reptiles and creating and maintaining temps and humidity however i need some questions answered before i can get a chameleon
first of all the lighting can i use a exo terra solar glo or a powersun or do i need more than one bulb also what kind of money am i looking at for feeding a adult veiled chameleon every week

welcome to the forums! im sure you will find all of the information you need here!

Exo-terra's reptiGLO is the uvb source you will need, 5.0% UVB comes in a flourescent light tube that will fit any T8 flourescent light ficture. the lamps range from size 12''-48'' long. Although Exo-Terra's reptiGLO needs a manditory light change every 6 months, you can spend a few extra dollars and get Zoo-Med's reptiSUN 5.0% UVB. same type deal, same sizes and T8 as well, but will guarentee you 10-12 months of full usage.

these UVB lights can be in use with a 6500K daylight flourescent tube to promote plant growth and uva rays to cycle the chameleon's daylight.

never use solar glow or powersun, they are dangerous for chameleons. we love to see chameleons on sticks, but never in the cooked fashion lol

ah ok could i use the repti glo 5.0 in the exo terra duel top fixture 45cm will that give enough uv in a 4ft 2ft 2ft

Hello and welcome to the forums. I keep veileds. I have three, Luie, Camille and their daughter Elly. If you are getting an adult they don't eat as often as the younger ones......under 10 months old. I feed 6 to 8 feeders depending on size 3 times a week to my adults. It does kind of get pricy buying them a large variety of feeders. They need more than just crickets. Also make sure to have a saving account for vet bills for regular checkups and in case you have an emergency. I'm attaching a link below to my blog for new keepers. Hopefully it will help you out. Jann https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

ah ok i thought they would eat more as adults no im starting with a juv i shall check out the link thanks

so would a 60 cm duel top will the 2 basking lights provide enough heat if not i will get that repti sun hood i see of your link and a sepate bulb or do i need a separate bulb i read that the females don't require much heat my house is quite average temps

so would a 60 cm duel top will the 2 basking lights provide enough heat if not i will get that repti sun hood i see of your link and a sepate bulb or do i need a separate bulb i read that the females don't require much heat my house is quite average temps

Are you getting a female?

not sure the bad thing about females is that i have to provide a egg laying site and im told that they don't live as long as males but then i read that they have the same life span and that it is when they mate that there life span reduces

thanks for the welcomes i now have the info i was after just do a bit more research and i shall be getting my first species of chameleon

i have been keeping track of feeding and have estimated that it will cost me just about $300 to feed my guy for the year. that is based on the feeders alone no supliments or food for the feeders.

hi and welcome. if you are talking about one of these then they should be fine, at least i hope so because ive just ordered one. ive also got a clamp lamp to add more heat if needed. this site looks good for prices but its the first time ive used them so i cant really recommend them yet, their mesh cages are a steal tho.

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/exo-terra-dual-top-canopy-60cm.html

please dont be wasting your money on expensive products just because it has a reptile name brand on it. the zoo med fixture is affordable, and even more so affordable is a dual fixture from lowe's or homedepot, and then get a 5.5-8.5'' dome to house your heat bulb in. estimated total (around $40) for both

would a 60w housebulb be good for heating they are a lot of money it's just i have some duel tops im not using

would a 60w housebulb be good for heating they are a lot of money it's just i have some duel tops im not using

yes....as long the temperature stays in range:)

most people use regular house bulbs:D

Back
Top Bottom