New to the forum

StroiterGanes5

Hey, I'm new to this forum and I want to get a chameleon, I've had one before but not quite the way I want to keep it now. I've realised that the topic of which chameleons can or cannot live in paludariums is quite controversial. So I'm here to ask if I, possibly, could have a paludarium with a chameleon and a red eye tree frog. I've done some research and apparently they do ok with eachother as they live in different parts of the tank, but I've seen some places saying the humidity is bad for them and others saying it doesn't matter. If it really is bad for the chameleons, is there a way of which I can keep chameleons in a paludarium without damaging its health? Thanks in advance.

Hello! Chameleons must live in vertical not horizontal cages. Also chameleons must be housed alone. They are solitary animals. Have you done the correct research on how to care for one? Please check out chameleon academy.com and Neptune the chameleon on YouTube

So no it is not recommended at all to house them with another species. The paludarium would be out too. They really are not supposed to have high humidity like you would get in a Paludarium. Depending on species your looking at a 50% max daytime. Also they can drown if they end up in water. But the risk of them developing a respiratory infection would be extremely high if housed this way along with bacterial infections from being on moist branches all the time.

This is a good site for all things chameleon. It will walk you through exactly how an enclosure should be set up and the husbandry that should be provided. Let us know if you have any questions. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Hey, I'm new to this forum and I want to get a chameleon, I've had one before but not quite the way I want to keep it now. I've realised that the topic of which chameleons can or cannot live in paludariums is quite controversial. So I'm here to ask if I, possibly, could have a paludarium with a chameleon and a red eye tree frog. I've done some research and apparently they do ok with eachother as they live in different parts of the tank, but I've seen some places saying the humidity is bad for them and others saying it doesn't matter. If it really is bad for the chameleons, is there a way of which I can keep chameleons in a paludarium without damaging its health? Thanks in advance.

Why do you want to do this? Are you asking out of concern for the best way to keep these two vastly different species for their health and welfare, or to validate something you've already decided to do for your own gratification, or what? :unsure:

TMK, paludariums are often closed systems. Chameleons require sufficient ventilation & airflow with humidity according to species. Different species have different humidity and temperature requirements that may/will not jive. Chameleons are diurnal; red eye tree frogs are nocturnal. This can stress both species. Just because chameleons don't have external ears doesn't mean they don't know what's going on in their vicinity. Chameleons are territorial. Some chameleons EAT small frogs.

The most balanced opinion on this question that I can find is:
https://www.madcham.de/en/vergesellschaftung/

They have several considerations that can be taken 2 or more ways. They can be taken at face value, or they can be taken to ignore what one doesn't want to hear/read, and validate what one does want to hear read.

I'm am pro Paludarium but....... unless you have proper ventilation with the use of a small fan, proper bioactive setup etc. The real issue is with them is that they usually are not big enough to house a Cham properly. Also, already stated before by Beman it's not best to house them with another species due to the fact one could end up as food or territorial issues. I think I just repeated what other people have already said. Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom