New to the forum, not new to chameleons!

Jikkermanccini

Established Member
Hello! I'm happy to join the community after a few years without a chameleon.
Some background. When I was a kid, I got a female veiled chameleon as a birthday present. Kept it in an all-glass exoterra cage for about a month before I learned that they prefer screen. Fast forward over the years, Emerald (I know) passed at the ripe old age of 6. It was sad to lose her, and after about a year I decided to try again with a panther. This didn't work as well as the last one. I bought him from an online breeder (no dirt against the breeder, it was just a new experience) and named him Rollo. He was a good lizard, but I just wasn't around enough to give him the proper care and he passed away due to dehydration. That was hard, and I haven't tried another since.
That brings me to now! I'm currently a reef aquarist and carnivorous plant keeper, and I'm looking to get back into chameleons after a long hiatus. Interestingly, a lot of things have changed regarding care and husbandry of the animals, I'm very surprised. Looking forward to re-learning everything and rejoining to hobby.
If anyone happens to be breeding Calumma chameleons, hit me up as that is what I want to get back into.
thanks a lot and God bless.

Welcome to the forum. A great place to dive into all the new info on husbandry is the chameleon academy. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This will give you the most up to date info on everything.

As far as the species which one are you looking for in the Calumma Genus? Parsonii?
Hey! Thanks a lot for the link, I will be reading the site. I've recently discovered Bill's youtube channel which is where I've learned about all of the changes!
As for the species of interest, I'm really fascinated by C. malthe and C. brevicorne. They are just the right size for me and seem to be compatible with a highly planted, bioactive-type setup which is what I would want to try. Handling isn't really a desire for me, though it would be cool to be able to have them out from time to time! I'd like to attempt breeding down the road, so starting with a species that isn't commonly available CB would contribute data to other breeders! Call me out though if that isn't a great plan.

Welcome to the forum!

You did well to keep it ur first chameleon...and a female at that...to the age of six. Not too many people can keep their first veiled female for that long.

You may have trouble finding the species you want CB...and it might not be easy to hatch them either....but I hope you can.

Hey! Thanks a lot for the link, I will be reading the site. I've recently discovered Bill's youtube channel which is where I've learned about all of the changes!
As for the species of interest, I'm really fascinated by C. malthe and C. brevicorne. They are just the right size for me and seem to be compatible with a highly planted, bioactive-type setup which is what I would want to try. Handling isn't really a desire for me, though it would be cool to be able to have them out from time to time! I'd like to attempt breeding down the road, so starting with a species that isn't commonly available CB would contribute data to other breeders! Call me out though if that isn't a great plan.
You will find a ton more of Bill's content within that website I gave you.

So those are going to be hard to find. I do not actually know anyone within the forum that is breeding them.

You will find a ton more of Bill's content within that website I gave you.

So those are going to be hard to find. I do not actually know anyone within the forum that is breeding them.
Yeah that is what I've seen. I know a few users were working with them a couple years back, but they haven't been on for a while. My hope is that I can find some CB, however I plan to breed them anyways so I may bite the bullet and get some imports to start a bloodline. I don't want to, however that's what it takes to get anything into cultivation! It's the same with a lot of single-mouthed coral species, as they don't spawn easily in aquaria and don't split naturally, so they have to come from the wild. it's actually a big focus of mine right now.

Yeah that is what I've seen. I know a few users were working with them a couple years back, but they haven't been on for a while. My hope is that I can find some CB, however I plan to breed them anyways so I may bite the bullet and get some imports to start a bloodline. I don't want to, however that's what it takes to get anything into cultivation! It's the same with a lot of single-mouthed coral species, as they don't spawn easily in aquaria and don't split naturally, so they have to come from the wild. it's actually a big focus of mine right now.
Join Bill's FB group The Chameleon Enthusiast. https://www.facebook.com/groups/thechameleonenthusiasts

You might be able to connect with someone there. But do not mention anything about wanting to buy. FB has extremely strict rules. Just say something along the lines of... Just getting back into the hobby would love to connect with someone that has C. malthe or C. brevicorne in the United States. Or where ever you are located. They will private message you but check your message request folder in messenger.

Join Bill's FB group The Chameleon Enthusiast. https://www.facebook.com/groups/thechameleonenthusiasts

You might be able to connect with someone there. But do not mention anything about wanting to buy. FB has extremely strict rules. Just say something along the lines of... Just getting back into the hobby would love to connect with someone that has C. malthe or C. brevicorne in the United States. Or where ever you are located. They will private message you but check your message request folder in messenger.
Thanks for the resource. I believe my old account was cancelled because I forgot to authenticate it before posting, so I may need to make a new one for it lol

Thanks for the resource. I believe my old account was cancelled because I forgot to authenticate it before posting, so I may need to make a new one for it lol
Well, after about 5 minutes my new account, made with a new Gmail, was disabled for no apparent reason. I say too bad, but I'd rather not be on Facebook anyways 😅 I'll find another way.

Back
Top Bottom