New to the chameleon world...

katrina

I went to a reptile show and purchased my new Senegal Chameleon. The only issue I've been having is feeding. She [he... it..?] doesn't go after a cricket unless I pick her up and show her the poor little guy. Which, from what I understand is pretty awesome because she seems to love my attention and will climb up my arm and sit on my shoulder or relax on my belly while I'm using my laptop. But I can only get her to eat one cricket a day and I feel that's not enough. If I put more crickets in the terrarium, she just ignores them until I point them out to her. Odd, I know.

Don't mind the product placement in my attached photo, but it was the ride home.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 167
Maybe the breeder was feeding her worms or roaches and she doesnt get it? Granted worms and roaches may taste better to her. Kinda like prime rib versus hamburger.

If you can get a picture of a side view of her/his vent (butt) it could help with sexing it. How long have you had the baby? And yes Senegal's seem to be super loving as far as Chameleons go. It looks great, is it WC or CB?

Hi there, Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new baby..she's adorable! You might want to fill out the "how to ask for help" form below so we can check out your setup. That will help to avoid any problems before they happen.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Senegal, female[?], breeder said somewhere between 6-8 months, I've had her since January 15.
* Handling - I handle her a whole bunch :eek:
* Feeding - I usually try to get her to eat in the morning, but it only happens to be one cricket a day...
* Supplements - I'm currently using reticalcium from zoomed every time I get her to eat
* Watering - I spray/mist her terrarium about four times a day until the leaves are shiny with water. I often see her drinking from the leaves.
* Fecal Description - Honestly haven't seen any in a while... but I haven't gone for an exam either.
* History - Breeder said that chameleon was CB from WC parents.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Glass terrarium 12 x 12 x 18
* Lighting - She goes to bed when I do which is normally around 9 and lights come on around 7. I use an exoterra repti-glo 5.0 uvb light and an exoterra heat glo 50w bulb.
* Temperature - The temperature is obviously warmer at the top of the terrarium with the lights and cooler at the bottom. The thermometer I have displays around 85 during the day and down to 65 at night with the humidity level usually around 50-60
* Humidity - The humidity is usually around 50-60 measured by a hygrometer [exoterra]. The humidity is really only maintained with the misting schedule.
* Plants - They all fake plants :eek:. Also from exoterra. But they are all over the terrarium, including on the glass to keep her from seeing her reflection.
* Placement - The terrarium is located in a very low traffic area with no other fans or vents. It's about 2.5 feet off of the floor.
* Location - Florida

Current Problem - Chameleon won't eat unless I physically pick her up and show her the cricket/possibly not eating enough.

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

This was maybe the second day I had my chameleon and she ate a cricket on her own.... [pretty awesome video]... but it hasn't happened like that since
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVjCKDwN47U

So I finally got to a store and purchased some meal worms [which by the way, I'd take a delicious cheeseburger over a prime rib any day] and she still shows absolutely no interest. I kept trying to nicely point her in the direction of the worms and she just got angry and spotted with me. I finally just put one in my hand next to her and after about five minutes of her looking at me and then the worm and back at me [old spice?] she ate it and stared at me with her "are you happy now?" eyes.

I think I have an anorexic chameleon.

I might try placing her food (i.e., crickets) in a small cup or bowl right below her basking area. This way she'll be in close proximity to them, and hopefully will notice and want to eat more of them.

Also, is it possible to see a photo of the inside of the cage? I'm wondering what kind of access she has to the basking bulb, and therefore if she's able to fully warm up. If she's not, that might contribute to her not eating so much.

cj

photo-2.jpg

She normally hangs out on the plants that hang on the glass right up by the heat lamp and sometimes back by the uvb bulb.

Gotcha. I would add some branches/vines to the middle part of the enclosure, allowing her to bask beneath the bulbs, and use that part of the cage. You want a real crosswork of branches there. That will allow her to thermoregulate well, and will make use of the space. After all, cage space that doesn't have areas for her to climb is essentially wasted space--without places to climb, she can't use it. I'd then try the cup/bowl feeding trick, and see if it helps.

Also, is it possible to get temps where she's basking? Ideally basking temps can be in the neighborhood of about 90-100 F. Please understand that these are basking temps only (!) and that temps in the coolest part of her enclosure are best kept in the neighborhood of 75-80 F. This will allow her to thermoregulate effectively.

cj

Okay. Maybe I'm over reacting... but why doesn't my chameleon eat? She sits under either one of the lights on her cage all day but no matter how much a cricket or a worm is moving in front of her, she doesn't care. I left a whole bunch of worms in a dish in her cage today and none of them were gone when I came home. I just tried putting a couple of super wiggly worms in front of her and some crickets... and nothing.

Is anorexia common in reptiles? I don't tell her she's fat at all!

She normally has more plants in the enclosure. I had actually just taken them out to get her to notice the worms at the bottom. I'm not really sure how to get the accurate temperature right under the bulbs, but if you have a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Does the chameleon keep its eyes open all day? You could try replacing the red bulb with a regular incandescent household light...maybe the color is throwing her off?

Does the chameleon keep its eyes open all day? You could try replacing the red bulb with a regular incandescent household light...maybe the color is throwing her off?

Is that safe? Will that supply the same amount of heat for my little chameleon? I have noticed that her eyes are closed sometimes during the day, although that was more when I first had her in the middle of January, not as much lately... if at all...

Not knowing your temps is a big issue with chameleon, and so is over handling. Senegals are a little stressy, and although it could be true, I am always a little leery of someone saying they are CB since not alot of people have sucess in hatching these guys out. Get a digital thermometer ASAP and quit handling it for awhile. You want a basking spot of about 85.

Is that safe? Will that supply the same amount of heat for my little chameleon? I have noticed that her eyes are closed sometimes during the day, although that was more when I first had her in the middle of January, not as much lately... if at all...

Incadescent bulbs are what most people use for their basking spot. Get different wattages (40W. 60W, 75W) to see what you need based on the time of year to mantain the optimal temp. The red bulb is not normally what you would see in an experienced keepers cage. More expensive basking bulbs, colored bulbs, etc are not needed usually. Just household incandescent. That in conjunction with your UVB source typically a reptisun 5.0 linear flourescent. JMO

Thanks for your help. I haven't really been handling her that much in the last few days. I've picked her up to try to get her to notice some food once, but when she didn't right away and started walking up my arm, I just put her back on her vine [mostly because I was stressed [making a funny]].

I'll head to a store in the morning and get myself a few light bulbs and try that and keep it posted.

I agree with Julis, it's more likely that it's a WC not CB. And try a 40w house hold bulb instead of that red one. I would also do a live plant in the enclosure. A pothos will work well.

I know they are very loving but handling them every day is not a good idea. I have no choice but to handle my Senegal since his accident but I limit it as much as possible.

Here is a really good article on Senegals.

Also please get her to a vet as soon as you can for a fecal. Trust me you don't want to go through what I am. It's heart breaking :(

Thanks for your help. I haven't really been handling her that much in the last few days. I've picked her up to try to get her to notice some food once, but when she didn't right away and started walking up my arm, I just put her back on her vine [mostly because I was stressed [making a funny]].

I'll head to a store in the morning and get myself a few light bulbs and try that and keep it posted.

Pick up a digital thermometer too-they are about $10.

Back
Top Bottom