New to Panther Ownership

LoyaltyNECO

Hey everyone!!!! First off, let me thank you guys for building such a comprehensive forum for people to find info :)

To give you a little background on myself, I'm a Store Manager for a national petstore chain (I'm sure I'll hear some boos for that). As far as reptiles goes, I have an Anerythristic Sand Boa, 2 Crested Geckos and my new addition.....Sniper, a Male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. He was hatched on 11/20/2010 and I just got him from Vince and Farrah at Screameleons.com.

I've been doing as much research as I can over about the past month before I actually decided to get a Cham. He's about 3 and a half months old and I've had him now for 3 days.

I saw the following info on another thread so I'll post my info and let me know if you guys can make any suggestions:

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Male Ambilobe Panther 3.5 mths. In my care for 3 days
* Handling - I have not handled him yet
* Feeding - Currently he's eating 8 or so crickets per day, gut loaded with the flukers dry (I now will be keeping appx 24 on hand at all time and gut loading with dark leafy greens, fruits etc)
* Supplements - Rep-Cal Calcium w/D3 every other feeding, Herptivite twice a week
* Watering - I have the Habba Mist auto mister set at every 3 hours for 30 seconds as recommended by Screameleons as well as a dripper that I let run for about 45 minutes to an hour a couple times a day (collects in a deli cup that is emptied after every session). The Cham seems more interested in drinking from the leaves under the dripper as opposed to the misted ones. I also spray down the habitat about 3 times per day enough to wet all the leaves. I have seen him drink a few times already.
* Fecal Description - Droppings were brown and a solid "pellet" from what I can remember. He has not been tested for parasites as of yet.
* History - None really, just that he came from Screameleons.com

Cage Info: (all cage products with the exception of my dripper are the products in the Ultimate Setup Kit from Screameleons.com)

* Cage Type - All screen (Zilla)
* Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 strip light, 60W basking I think (its too dark to read the bulb right now) both are on for 12 hours starting at 8am
* Temperature - Basking spot is right at 95. Ambient temp is in the mid 70's temps measured with digital probe
* Humidity - high 50's (low from what I've read). You can see above how water/humidity is introduced into the cage, measured by analog hydrometer
* Plants - no live plants
* Placement - Cage is not in a high traffic area with no vents around. Top of the cage on stand is appx 4 feet off the floor (I'm sure that should be adjusted?)
* Location - Southwest Florida (USA)

I was also wondering if anyone had any good pics/vids of growth rate? I feel like I'm a worried parent but I want to make sure he's growing correctly and remains in good health obviously.

Finally as far as handling, I would like to "try" to have him handleable as I'm sure most of us would like but I wanted to know a few things. First off how long should I wait before I try? When talking to Vince he suggested not attempting until the Cham is at least 6 months which sounded a little old to begin to me, but the paper they sent with him said wait a couple weeks. I assume he'll darken when stressed right? Only short sessions a few times per week correct?

Sorry for the long first post everyone, but I really appreciate any help or suggestions you all could provide!!!!

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new little guy. I see a few changes you need to make to keep your little guy healthy.

I'd recommend a better gut load than Fluckers....try Cricket Crack made by one of our fourm members.

You have his basking spot way too hot.....you don't want to cook him. Try a 40 watt bulb and get those temps down to the low 80's.

Also he needs three different supplements......calcium without d3 everyday, calcium with d3 twice a month and a mulit vit twice a month.

See my blog for new keepers to see links with pictures of the items you need and where you can buy them from. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Looking forward to seeing pictures of him.:)

Thanks for the info. I just PM'd the Cricket Crack member :). As far as the temp in the basking spot, I can lower the branch below the basking lamp but he does have three different branches & foliage at various levels (4, 6.5 and 9 inches) from the top of the basking light. Do you think I should still change out the bulb (my probe is right under the bulb at the highest branch)?

I would definitely change to a lower watt. Sometime the youngsters will even hang on the screen on the top of the cage.

For your handling question, if you feel he has settled in, go ahead and try it. If you put your finger under his chin and he grabs on, you're off to a good start. If he run or jumps (like mine) then you're going to have a grumpy one and you'll want to leave him be. But you'll have to eventually handle him, so it's up to you how much you want to try.

First of all I would give your guy a couple of weeks to settle in before you start handling him, then you can also try using a branch for him to climb onto. He may find that less intimidating than your hand. You can also try leaving the cage door open and setting a tall plant outside the door and see if you can get him to venture out onto that, then try placing your hand in front of him and underneath his chin and see if he will climb on.. Often times, chams will feel less threatened when not in their cages and may be more acessible to handle

Back
Top Bottom