New to Hobby

Fshurley

View attachment 187286 Well it turns out that this aquarium guy if 30+ was getting bored and thanks to the world at our fingertips I began creating paludarium/vivariums , keeping Fire Bellied Toads and a native species of tree frog that lives in Southern Texas. He was very loud and keeping us awake so I captured him and gave him a life of saftey and endless crickets... so far he is healthy and fine he goes through about 5 or so crickts a day or night in his case.
My question is, would any species of chameleon be happy in this environment. More branches and vines to come. This is a 90 gal bow tank with fan exhausts and air circulation with a repti-fogger , waterfall and water area. Wish I had all the vines in but there will be adequate vine per square inch for them to crawl on.

Anyways am very interested in putting more than just frogs into this setting. Please school me ...

Many thanks in advance..

Attachments

• 20170729_024738.jpg
    20170729_024738.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 90
The only type of chameleon that could be considered with adaption is a pigmy chameleon.

Few issues still.
-ventilation; it's bad in aquariums where chameleons need good ventilation.
-size; pigmy chams are small, they could end up as frogfood.
-water; I'm not sure if a pigmy can swim
-combining; combining species is frowned upon by a lot of keepers as it often doesnt go to wel and its an easily avoidable risk you take. The frog lives at night and may disturb the chams rest and vise versa.

Beautiful set up. May be hard to figure out what to put in with frogs. Don't they all have toxins in their skin? One critter might become food for the other as was said. How big is the tree frog?

I just jumped into this too, so let me tell you what I learned.... also an aquarium guy BTW for decades and in my 20's kept dozens and dozens of different reptiles too...
1. the UV is something to consider with some chameleons. They need it and will end up with ricketts, or what the kids these days are calling "metabolic bone disease" without it. The sponsor here, lightyourreptiles will treat you well and give you advice but look to spend at least $200. That's going to need to be on SCREEN, not through glass which blocks 98% of it.
2. frogs do OK on a more limited diet, chameleons seem to need lots of variety of gutloaded bugs
3. the vertical space is lacking
4. the water, regardless of how well you filter it, is filthy. I don't even think an inline UV sterilizer would fix that. frogs are ok with that, most reptiles except turtles not so much.
5. it looks like a lot of stuff in there will cause problems when a chameleon ingests it- look up "impaction"... it seems inevitable it's going to eventually get some substrate in the belly. Most of these guys like the bare bottom. (teehee)
last, a basking spot is needed...

If you want to shake things up a bit there are some very cool newts (alpine newts, crested, etc.) and looks like a mudskipper (small enough not to feast on the frogs)... dendrobates (not poisonous once they are in captivity)

Back
Top Bottom