new to forums looking at adopting a chameleon

kala83

I am fairly new to keeping reptiles in general. But chameleons seem very interesting but I am trying to keep in mind that I am a beginner to this so I am seeking basically advise from others on what kind of chameleon would be a good start for me.

and what all I might need to keep in mind for doing all of this.

No chameleon is easy to care for but some are easier than others. Most people will recomend a Yemen for a first time cham they tend to be hardier than others and are readily available. It is important though that you like the species, so I would have a look at the more commonly kept species and pick the one you like best and just do tons of research.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/
Some good caresheets here about the most commonly kept chameleons. One thing that people don't relize when thinking of gettng a chameleon is the costs it really does add up so it is something you need to bear in mind.

Chameleons are amazing animals and so very rewarding to have in your life, but oblgobl is correct - they are rather needy to care for and can be terribly expensive!

The cost of the actual animal will likely be one of the smaller expenses, depending on what you select. I think I dropped about $500 getting everything set up for my chameleon (plus extra costs for buying things that were "wants" but not "needs").

This may help as you budget for your new friend:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/olimpia/522-average-cost-owning-chameleon.html

Welcome to the forum!

which is why I am taking the time to do some research before hand of actually getting one.

but I guess that's what working in the animal industry to does to a person it makes you more aware that you need to read up on things before you actually get the animal.

Just out of curiosity how much money would you all say if I wanted to get a veiled.

and a set up for it would I need put back?

which is why I am taking the time to do some research before hand of actually getting one.

but I guess that's what working in the animal industry to does to a person it makes you more aware that you need to read up on things before you actually get the animal.

Just out of curiosity how much money would you all say if I wanted to get a veiled.

and a set up for it would I need put back?

Read the attachmed link that Lathis provided for you. It will give you a pretty good idea on start up costs and such.

I am fairly new to keeping reptiles in general. But chameleons seem very interesting but I am trying to keep in mind that I am a beginner to this so I am seeking basically advise from others on what kind of chameleon would be a good start for me.

and what all I might need to keep in mind for doing all of this.

Veileds are a common first chameleon, others would include a panther or a Jackson's. Some people might say you should start out with a veiled but that's not mandatory. If you do your proper research for any one of those, you will be okay.

I just recently got a new chameleon after not having one for 5 years. I will break down my total cost thus far.

Also I had a panther as my first chameleon and bought it on a complete whim from craigslist...If you are proactive in learning about the care and willing to provide it, I think you could raise a panther just fine.

Chameleon- $300 Ambilobe Panther
Enclosure XL reptibreeze- $99 on sale at petco
Hood Light- $150 ( I bought a better quality one than I HAD THE HAVE because I wanted it for the plant benefits) You can get a cheap hood and the correct bulb for around $30 and then buy your basking light and bulb for around $15)
Basking fixture- 0 (I already had this)
Supplements- Approx $20-$30 depending on where you buy them. I got mine on amazon for way cheaper and free shipping
Plants/vines- $20-$60 You can go cheap and use fake stuff or get live stuff and make it ebtter for your chameleon and more aesthetically appealing!
Sticks- FREE collect them outside, scrub them, then bake them!
Food- $20-$60 This depends on what you buy. I wanted to start with colonies so it is cheaper for me in the long run and hleathier for my chameleon.
A spray bottle- $1

Total- $730 on the high end and with a panther, a veiled will cost you half as much or less

If you get a mister you're looking closer to $850-900

chameleons are great!! they are often described as a " hard to keep " reptile what I like to tell new buyers of my chams is that they are not neccisarily hard but rather less tolerant of mistakes and poor keeping a chameleon that is kept in sub par conditions will not last very long compared to many other reps however if you meet their needs ( not a lot diff from many other reps ) they are imo the most interesting and rewarding reptile to keep
I feel automation and research are the key with a digital timer for the lights and a misting system you will find things a lot easier.
products such as lighting and supplements have came a long was in the past few years and as such have drastically increased the success of many keepers

chameleons are great!! they are often described as a " hard to keep " reptile what I like to tell new buyers of my chams is that they are not neccisarily hard but rather less tolerant of mistakes and poor keeping a chameleon that is kept in sub par conditions will not last very long compared to many other reps however if you meet their needs ( not a lot diff from many other reps ) they are imo the most interesting and rewarding reptile to keep
I feel automation and research are the key with a digital timer for the lights and a misting system you will find things a lot easier.
products such as lighting and supplements have came a long was in the past few years and as such have drastically increased the success of many keepers

this certainly one of the main reasons I am doing as much research as I am right now ahead of time so I do, do the best job I can for giving the lil guy a great new home when I do get it

Check out screameleons.com. I'm a first timer as well, and I'm waiting until I move into a new apartment before I consider getting one.

I've been on screameleons, emailed them, and they seem totally committed to helping their customers get it right ;)

my Yemen Set up

Chameleon was £55
Enclosure, First one for when she was a baby £140 Adult Enclosure was £220
Lighting - Dual top with dual lights £145
Basking - £40 for fixture £30 for light
Supplements this was Free with my chameleon
Plants - had aster thyme SChefflera totalled about £50 for real plants then I had Vines £15 per item needed 6, also had Bamboo canes to use as a little path for her these I *ahem* Borrowed on a long term basis from my parents shed
Also if you get a Female you will need a laybin, Picked one up for £4 from local store and just got some top soil
oh and almost forgot the Thermostat Hygromometer which came free with first viv, (The guy forgot to put it through the Register)
one weeks food which was only £10 Ended up lasting me 2 weeks as Karmen never ate for the first 5 days

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom