New to forum. Just wanna make sure I'm doing everything right!

Nicole1982

I purchased my first baby veiled a couple days ago. She seems to be adjusting quite well, just wanna make sure I'm doing the best I can for her.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Baby Veiled. Unsure on age. I'm guessing around 6 or so weeks. She's tiny. I've had her for 3 days.
Handling - Almost never, other than the day we got her and once today to take a picture.
Feeding - Flightless fruit flies at the moment. She's a good eater..she will eat 15 to 20 a day. I will adding pinheads when they arrive on Tuesday.
Supplements - Calcium dusting without d3 every feeding. I have reptivite calcium with d3 and vitamins as well. Haven't used any yet. But plan on twice a month.
Watering - I mist 3 to 4 times daily. Also have a home made dripper. I've seen her drink on more than one occasion.
Fecal Description - brown poop with white urates.
History - No previous history.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen/Mesh cage. 16.5 by 16.5by 30
Lighting - 18 inch 5.0 tube bulb (not sure on brand). I have a 60watt basking bulb that's only needed to maintain temp in cage. Not used all day.
Temperature - Ambient temps are between 72 and 80 during the day. Top of cage/baskin area 80 to 85. Nighttime temps drop to 62 to 65
Humidity -Unsure about humidity.
Plants - Live pothos that's been washed and repotted. Live bromelaid also washed and repotted. Fake plants and vines as well.
Placement - Where is your cage located? On top of dresser away from window. No fans. Low traffic area.
Location - I live in New England. Maine to be precise.

Current Problem - No problems. Just wanna make sure I'm doing things correct. Wanna keep this little guy happy and healthy! I apologize about the poor quality pics. I'll try and get better ones up ASAP.

Pictures are helpful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 224
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Cham. She is tiny!

It sounds like you are doing a great job.

Tiny and unhappy in that picture! She is still quite skiddish. That was the only time we handled her since bringing her home. I know it's not that great of a pic but any guess on age?

A month old or less. Where did you get such a tiny baby? Breeders should not sale them that small.

At a local exotics store. The owner ordered a pair. Not sure which website he got them from. The male is slightly larger than the female we purchased. The owner even commented that they were quite a bit smaller than ones he's ordered in the past. Apparently he was told they would be 3 to 4 inches.

well since they are so young id let them adjust first to the changes then start handling her on a daily/weekly basis so she doesn't become hand shy cage stubborn! just a thought

Welcome!
Sounds great to me, glad to see you're a serious keeper.

Since he/she is rly young I wouldn't handle for atleast a week.
Let us know if you got any questions or problems :) Good luck

She is doing great! Bit of a picky eater but growing well. She just finished her 3rd shed with me! She is somewhere around 3 to 4 months now. Been in my care for 2 1/2 months. She is still a bit timid but I'm working on hand feeding with her.

Back
Top Bottom