New to chameleons

NYChameleon

Hey im new here and to chameleons. I am looking into getting my first cham. I am thinking I want a nice panther. Is there a certain cham thats easier for beginers? I have had other herps such as snakes and bearded dragons. How hard is it to breed these guys? Thanks alot.

i don't know much about panthers, but the majority of people would say that a male veiled would be a great first cham, veileds tend to me a little more hardy and less demanding than panthers. im not saying that veileds aren't work, all chams are time consuming pets. i think that a male veiled is the way to go...

ok thanks..i heard that veileds are a little more agressive than the other chams. I want a cham that can deal with a little handling. I know they shouldnt be handled a lot but i want to be able to be able to put it in and out of the cage without it being nasty. Whats the calmest most docile cham?

veileds tend to have slight attitude problems, this is true, but correct me anyone if im wrong, panthers have been know to fire up when being handled. ask around, most of the senior members have extensive panther backgrounds and they can give you a better idea than i can

A few of my panthers hate to be touched, or even looked at lol. For the most part though, they are pretty good about being handled. When in doubt, just wear a leather glove getting him/her out of the cage.
Go with a Veiled or a Panther.

my veiled is mean when you go in to the cage fast and will hiss a little. i just do it like a bird and slide my hand underneath him untill he grabs on. after that he is a cool as a cucumber. veileds are easier to take care of tho. pathers are nicer to look at.

Go with a Veield chameleon because thats what I have (In my icon).He is 4 1/2 months old and 12 inches long. I handled him twice a week since he was 3 weeks old and he is very nice. You probaley shouldnt breed them because it isnt for beginers and its kinda of hard.

Veileds are a good one to start on just because when we all began we went through cage changes to figure out what works the best for our each situation and most likely a veiled is hearty enough to tolerate some mistakes you might make with your setup at first.

I have both 2 male veileds and 2 male panthers. I find that my blue bar ambilobe panther is as tame as a puppy, where as my Nosy be is aggressive at only 2 months of age. One of my adult male veileds is a complete beast and does not like to be handled, where as the other veiled is as calm as a puppy. I think that like people, chameleons demonstrate great variation in their dispositions. As for a beginning chameleon, I would strongly recommend a panther or a veiled; the ladder being a bit more hardy and less expensive:D.

-Cala-

I have both 2 male veileds and 2 male panthers. I find that my blue bar ambilobe panther is as tame as a puppy, where as my Nosy be is aggressive at only 2 months of age. One of my adult male veileds is a complete beast and does not like to be handled, where as the other veiled is as calm as a puppy. I think that like people, chameleons demonstrate great variation in their dispositions. As for a beginning chameleon, I would strongly recommend a panther or a veiled; the ladder being a bit more hardy and less expensive:D.

-Cala-

Your 2 month old panther may have a huge behavior change once he gets used to you. Ive had some babies start out being very afraid but in no time saw me as no threat and would sit quite calmly on my hand.

Go with a Veield chameleon because thats what I have (In my icon).He is 4 1/2 months old and 12 inches long. I handled him twice a week since he was 3 weeks old and he is very nice. You probaley shouldnt breed them because it isnt for beginers and its kinda of hard.

Are you sure your veiled is only 4 1/2 months old?
mine is 13 weeks old

i have to . one 13 weeks and one 11 weeks. and there roughly the same size. the picture is my male 13 weeks. my females just a bit smaller than him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom