New to Chameleons

ya, thats my only problem, even in his glass cage, I can't keep it above 50, really weird, probably is the temperature of the basking light, I'll reduce that and see what happens...

So a list of things I'm gonna get tomorrow:
Reptibreze (biggest they got)
Tubular UVB
Dusting Vitamins
Dusting Calcium without D3 (already have with D3)
Water Dripper
Digital Hygrometer

only set me back about 100 bucks, lol

thanks for the help

and thats just the beginning... wait till you start ordering some silworms and horn worms and some chow to go with.... about 40 bucks each time i get them.:D

Wait until you want to start a colony of raoches (I am doing that now) Ya there goes another 100 bucks for the roaches. Then you need to get a tank, heating pad, food.... LOL... Its so worth it though!!!!

Alright, I got all that stuff that I needed, except for the calcium without D3 and vitamins for dusting. Didn't find any of those at the pet stores I went to. Any suggestions on what to get and the best sites to get them from...so just need (1)a good site to get everything I need from and (2)all the calcium and vitamins I need for the veiled chameleon...thanks for the help

Lllreptile.com low prices. :) on the supplement page I use the first, third and fifth one.

thanks for the help, first (RepCal Calcium with D3), third (RepCal Calcium without D3), and fifth (RepCal Herptivite Supplement) all in my cart, just wondering about any of the misters that they have? I have a little trouble keepin the humidity up and was wondering if it was worth getting any of these? or maybe a dripper would be better?

Buy a little dripper, they work better than the other ones they sell. If you get a mister, go with mist king. Most others don't really mist... They kinda just spit water out. Mistking is a site sponsor.

Alright, thanks, should be all set, I even went with the all screen cage 24''x24''x48'', it'll be his Christmas gift this year, next year its coal for him, lol

You are doing awesome man just wanted to let you know that... Taking all the advice and making the changes right away... Just wondering have you tried to locate a good herp vet near you?

thanks, always gonna listen to experienced advice, ya, theres a place near me that specializes in cats and dogs, but they have lots of vets that specialize in reptiles, so I could probably take it there if anything happens

Thought I'd add, make sure you're measuring with a digital thermometer/hydrometer as the other kinds from petco that just stick on are crap.
time for me to take them out then -_- my humidity level is staying at 65 - 75% and temp is 65'F with no light or heat hmmm any suggestions? im getting either a flapneck or senegal this coming tuesday. i also have an exo terra but the demensions are 18" X 18" X 24". should be fine for a small gendered species unless i buy a hundred pigmys XD lol

Go for a captive bred and hatched flap neck. Senegals are usually wild caught and anything wildcaught is usually riddled with parasites. So you'd have to pay for treatments which can be hard on a fresh wild caught animal. Stress kills, keep that in mind when you buy everything.

I want to say that you can keep about 3-4 pygmies in that, but I dont really know how many gallons it is. My educated guess. :)

if you have the room, I vote veiled chameleon. They're my favorite and they get big :) Plus they're very forgiving when is comes to newbie mistakes in husbandry. They're very hardy animals as far as chameleons go.

P.s. Sorry for the thread hijack. :D

Haha, all good, hey, headin out to Home Depot or this plant place by me and gonna either buy a Hibiscus, Schefflera, Bougainvillaea, Pothos, or a fern for his cage...but all that stuff is in the mail that I ordered, so should I just dust the crickets I'm feeding him now with Calcium with D3 until the Calcium without D3 comes? or just not dust them at all till the stuff gets here?

Don't dust with d3. Feed the crickets collard greens and kale. They're high in calcium. Ferns don't work so well when they get older and larger...

thanks, always gonna listen to experienced advice, ya, theres a place near me that specializes in cats and dogs, but they have lots of vets that specialize in reptiles, so I could probably take it there if anything happens

Best thing to do is make sure that there is an experianced herp vet in your area and make an appontment and if everything checks out then annual checkups. There is a list of herp vets and if someone could help me out here I forgot the link for the vets...

It's the herp vet connection one in the vet resources sticky in the health clinic forums.

sorry random question, should i get a heatwave pad for my flapneck? i just dont want to waste 30- 40 bucks if he doesn't need one and i can get something he needs you know

Back
Top Bottom