New to Chameleons

JohnMcNic

Hello, I have always been interested in chameleons and recently decided to act on that interest. I was basically looking for information on good chamelons breeds to start with. I have a few in mind and I am looking for something relativley small (8-16in), not agressive, and realativly easy to care for (as far as chams go). And once I decide on a breed I was wondering where and how to find my cham. Basically whether or not I should seek out a breeder in my area, order on-line, or if need be go to a pet store. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

John

Well, I am of course biased in this question, seeing how I breed panther chameleons :) . But before you purchase any chameleon, be sure to read up on the proper care needed and the cost in order to get the proper equipment, cost of feeding, as well as occasional veterinary care that may be needed. A site that I recommend that seems to have some really good information about the care, health, cost, and equipment that is required is The Chameleon's Dish at http://www.chameleonsdish.com/. There are many other good sites for information as well.

For your first chameleon, I highly recommend you get a captive bred chameleon from a reputable breeder. The smaller breeders tend to take more care and attention to their breeding colonies, babies, and health. Veiled Chameleons have a tendency to be aggressive - but, I am sure many veiled chameleon owners can give you advice in this, however, this is the generally known concensus about veiled chameleons.

Panther chameleons tend to be the most hardy of all chameleons, and I have only had a few I have had to work with in order to gain trust from them. Most are all gentle chameleons. However, they are one of the most expensive chameleons to purchase... especially if you obtain one from a private reputable breeder.

I am sure many others on this forum can give more information about the other chameleons available and what type of temperment they have as well as their hardiness in captive survival.

Welcome to the chameleon world! They are wonderful creatures.

If I can be further help, I'd be happy to answer any questions. You can reach me at my site email address listed below.

Good Luck!

I know this is dumb, but I am assuming a breeder is a person who breeds a specific breed of chameleon. If so how does one go about finding a reputable breeder?? And a little more info on panthers such as size, native habbitat would be great, or a link will also suffice.

Thanks much!!!

John

how to "tame" my chameleon

Hey Panther Cham owners (and this might be good info for John as well), I have a question. I have had my panther chameleon baby for a week now, and I would like to start holding him soon so that he can get used to me (and so that I can clean his cage). So how do I go about gaining his turst so that he will come readily out onto my arm? And can I start now or should I wait a little longer for him to get acclimated? Thanks!

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

You didn't mention the age of your new chameleon, however, there are a couple of tips about handling your chameleon and gaining their trust.

1) Never approach a chameleon from above their head or grab their back to pick them up. They take this as an aggressive attack and it frightens them which makes them become defensive.

2) Approach your chameleon with your body lower than him (when they feel higher, they feel safer) and slowly reach for him in an upward position with your palm up and your index finger and middle finger spread apart. Slowly, and maybe even for a moment let him look at your hand before touching him. Then with your two fingers spread apart reach to his feet (the two fingers gives him something to walk onto and grasp). This is an easy way for them to walk onto your hand. If he becomes in a defensive state, move away and give him time.

3) If the above method doesn't work, try using a small stick about a foot long. Slowly bring the stick toward him for him to walk onto. I have had many chameleons eventually step onto the stick, walk right up it and then walk right onto my hand.

4) Handle him for a short time and let him learn you mean him no harm, then gently put him back in his cage. Use either method mentioned above periodically until he learns you are not a predator. Maybe even give him a tasty treat after returning him to his cage. In time, they will get used to you and learn you that you are the one who feeds him, waters him, and handles him without hurting him and that you are really his friend!

Hope this helps... :)

My panther is 3 months old. So I tried today to get him to climb onto a stick so that I could take him out of the cage, but even though I was very slow in bringing the stick in, he was very cautious and just backed up slowly away from the stick. I tried twice today with the same result. Should I just keep doing the same thing and hope that someday his curiousity will win out over his fear? Thanks!

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom