New to chameleons, is she okay?

Moiramonkey

This is my picture of my baby. I have been worried about her back as you can see in the picture with my hand. In the other picture is her front leg that I think looks normal along with the rest of her legs but her one back leg looks a bit off. I had talk to someone else with a chameleon and she suggested asking this forun, do you see if you guys think it is something serious. Ignore the dark Colors from my baby she is just pissed I moved around so much for these pictures. Thanks in advance. F55D0C00-97AB-453B-8F58-5ADDAE9C6882.jpeg

Attachments

• 263827BF-24E2-4E86-996F-35F2C04E898E.jpeg
    263827BF-24E2-4E86-996F-35F2C04E898E.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 118
Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons and meet other chameleon keepers. I am very sorry to have to tell you but your baby has MBD. Metabolic Bone Disease. You will need to take her to a reptile vet, with chameleon experience, if possiable. She needs liquid calcium and the vet can give her an injection to draw the calcium back into her bones. If you are in a warm climate take her outside. Natural UVB will help allot.

MBD is caused from the lack of UVB and or lack of supplements. If you will please fill out the Ask For Help form linked below so that we can help you get everything correct in the way that you are keeping her so you can try to prevent additional health issues.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Also here’s some info about MBD
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Thank you, that’s what I thought. The weird thing is is I give her all of her supplements and she has a UVB light so I’m not quite sure why it’s happening. I’m not just saying this to sound better because I would admit if I were doing something wrong, I’m saying it because I’m confused. I’ll take her to a vet very soon.

Thank you, that’s what I thought. The weird thing is is I give her all of her supplements and she has a UVB light so I’m not quite sure why it’s happening. I’m not just saying this to sound better because I would admit if I were doing something wrong, I’m saying it because I’m confused. I’ll take her to a vet very soon.
Please do fill out the help form.

Also, is this causing her pain?

It could be causing pain. The vet will most likely put her on Medicam for pain. Her bones are very weak so keep her low in a short cage or turn her cage on the side. If she falls her bone will break very easily. It looks as though her leg may be broke already. Get her to the vet ASAP. If you don’t already have a vet if you give me your location I might be able to recommend one.

She been climbing around normally and acting no different than usual. This showed up, or I noticed it, though right after she had her first ever lay of eggs. Before this we had been told she was a he. I can’t fill out the form right now but I’ll get back to you ASAP. I’m looking for a vet now.

Eggs drain allot of the calcium from the females. I normally give my girl a little liquid calcium once I know they are forming eggs. Let me know if you need help finding a vet.

Once she had her eggs I gave her way more calcium. I mean obviously it was to late or something. I feel horrible, hopefully the vet can help her out. I live in Oregon. I’m looking at different vets and there seems to be only one exotic vet near me. I do have a snake as well and had to take her to a vet a few years back so I’m going to try and figure out where we took her.

Thank you so much. Your help means a lot with me being a new chameleon mom and also going threw a bunch of unexpected things with her it’s been rough.

She was fine for the most part. Does not have MBD, the vet thinks she must have fallen when she was pregnant and the extra weight broke the leg. She wasn’t in pain except when she first broke it he says and besides that she’s in perfect health. Thanks guys!

It would be helpful to fill out the help form. How old is the light? What kind of light bulb are you using? Cage set up? Supplements? Ect. By filling out the help form the users on the forum can help you determine the possible causes and what you can do to remedy it.

Haha yeah he’s hoping that’ll still set. He has it taped up and it’s got to be like that for 6 weeks. He said though that even if he didn’t tape it she would continue to use it with out problem. And yeah no MBD, in fact she’s perfect on all of her levels of calcium and vitamins. I’m glad because I thought I had been doing everything right.

Back
Top Bottom