New to Chameleons and want any advice I can get

bugman

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther, Male, 3 Months old. How long has it been in your care? 24 hours
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not reasonable since we are talking about less than 24 hours
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? ½” Crickets What amount? 6-8 a day What is the schedule? None yet How are you gut-loading your feeders? With Oranges
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have many and don’t know which one I was using the first feeding
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Spray can How often and how long to you mist? Just mist the leafs so he can drink Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Will do Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No not really.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage - Screen type What are the dimensions? 24x24x48
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Not sure they came with the cage but one is a fluorescent kind and the other a bulb I use both What is your daily lighting schedule? None yet but will prob. do 7-7 on a timer
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 79-82 in basking spot not sure on floor Lowest overnight temp? same How do you measure these temps? Digital probe in his resting spot
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 50-79 How are you creating and maintaining these levels? With a humidifier What do you use to measure humidity? Digital probe
• Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes If so, what kind? Bamboo the kind in water he likes these and
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Kids room, near door At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 48”
• Location - Where are you geographically located? Chicago IL

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I don’t have any just feel strange because it is all new to me so I was concerned about his sleeping habits but any advice would be much appreciated. I will try to get you the rest of the information tonight.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have many and don’t know which one I was using the first feeding

• Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes If so, what kind? Bamboo the kind in water he likes these and

I would suggest checking the supplements so that we can give you better advice. Also, this type of "bamboo" is toxic and should be avoided. Many keepers here use ficus, pothos, of schefflera.

You should make the lighting time from 8 to 8 better.

try to put more live plants in its cage like pothos,ficus and schefflera (something like that)

keep both lights at least 12" away from each other.

Your cage should be all screen, well at least the front and the sides.

make sure you keep him hydrated by misting the cage enough, at least 4-5 times a day for about 1 min. Don't keep it wet all the time, he needs dry periods.

Try not to handle him, and keep him away from any heavy traffic.They dont like to be around us humans.

Try to place his cage a little higher.

if he is indoors make sure to turn off the heat lamp at night, they need a cooling period, but you are in chi town, it gets below 0 right?, so you should invest in a night heat lamp.

How are you gut-loading your feeders? With Oranges
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Not sure they came with the cage but one is a fluorescent kind and the other a bulb I use both What is your daily lighting schedule? None yet but will prob. do 7-7 on a timer

You need to know the exact lighting type and brands. Look on the bulbs themselves. The UV fluorescent is the most critical. The best safest type to use is a ReptiSun 5.0. Apparently the ReptiGlo is OK. Lights on for 12 hours a day, everything off at night. No night heat light unless your room gets down below 55 F.

Gutloading isn't all that great. You should feed your feeders fortified cereal grains such as Total, fresh leafy greens (not spinach or broccoli), chunks of fruit (orange is fine), bee pollen.

Back
Top Bottom